F-101B soon from Kitty Hawk

56 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Always enjoyed looking at that one. Who doesn’t love an all black jet?

If someone would do the decals, the conversion shouldn't be too difficult. Get rid of the IRS and add the various antenna and sensors.

55 minutes ago, Scooby said:

My boss in one of my squadrons worked on the back jet, he loved that posting. He also served on the HMCS Bonaventure.

Scoob,

I think you guys should build a new Carrier for those F-35s.......or F/A-18's........or Rafales?

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

If someone would do the decals, the conversion shouldn't be too difficult. Get rid of the IRS and add the various antenna and sensors.

Already exist but it is an OLD OLD sheet. Superscale put it out many years ago along with the white 416 Lynx Squadron. I think the only one they did not do was the chicken one from Quebec. Only 4 special CAF Voodoo schemes. There is a great picture out there of the 4 of them in formation in flight.

50 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Already exist but it is an OLD OLD sheet. Superscale put it out many years ago along with the white 416 Lynx Squadron. I think the only one they did not do was the chicken one from Quebec. Only 4 special CAF Voodoo schemes. There is a great picture out there of the 4 of them in formation in flight.

Canuck Models did the black jet on their special schemes sheet (Hawk One, Lynx, Chicken Jet, Black Jet).

When David was at our show he said he was going to re-release that sheet once the kit was released. 

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Fairly sure the kit is coming with the option of an earlier non-IRS Voodoo based on the markings based on the decal options. 

The RCAF option is non-IRS. With the open nose panel on images you can’t see if Kittyhawk knew this but I know who produced the decals, he would know that detail.

16 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Canuck Models did the black jet on their special schemes sheet (Hawk One, Lynx, Chicken Jet, Black Jet).

When David was at our show he said he was going to re-release that sheet once the kit was released. 

That's good to know. I want to do a regular grey CF-101B first (I have always found them to be attractive aircraft). If the kit is not too hard to build, I may try to do one of the fancy schemes afterwards.

9 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Fairly sure the kit is coming with the option of an earlier non-IRS Voodoo based on the markings based on the decal options. 

The RCAF option is non-IRS. With the open nose panel on images you can’t see if Kittyhawk knew this but I know who produced the decals, he would know that detail.

If true that is a bit disappointing as I like the look of the Voodoo with the IRS. Oh well...

4 minutes ago, Mstor said:

That's good to know. I want to do a regular grey CF-101B first (I have always found them to be attractive aircraft). If the kit is not too hard to build, I may try to do one of the fancy schemes afterwards.

Canuck models still has the Grey Voodoo decals in stock, so does Belcher Bits.

Belcher also has the black electric jet option on the same sheet. I forgot about that one.

3 minutes ago, Mstor said:

If true that is a bit disappointing as I like the look of the Voodoo with the IRS. Oh well...

I’m sure of it, the first batch of Voodoos didn’t have the IRS. I don’t think any of the RCAF marked airframes had the IRS. Only the CAF marked aircraft.

13 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Canuck models still has the Grey Voodoo decals in stock, so does Belcher Bits.

Belcher also has the black electric jet option on the same sheet. I forgot about that one.

Thanks Scooby, just ordered the grey Voodoo set. Saw the Special Markings set, real nice.

59 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Oh right I forgot about that. I think only Lynx One interests me as it is my favourite CAF squadron. I really don't trust Superscale for accuracy anything Canadian. I will go check my sheet but when David releases the sheet I can pick his up.

I also have the Belcher sheet so all set for my grey Voodoo.

44 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Oh right I forgot about that. I think only Lynx One interests me as it is my favourite CAF squadron. I really don't trust Superscale for accuracy anything Canadian. I will go check my sheet but when David releases the sheet I can pick his up.

I also have the Belcher sheet so all set for my grey Voodoo.

The Belcher sheet has silver, gray, and the black jet on it.

3 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

There is a great picture out there of the 4 of them in formation in flight.

Taken over my hometown. I remember when this happened. It was rare to see all four color birds together and there were quite a few faces and cameras pressed against the fence along Airport RD.

Image result for CF-101B Voodoo

I was also in the hanger when 006 and 067 flew the last official Voodoo formation flight.

Image result for CF-101 101006

The noise of the Voodoo was awesome!

51 minutes ago, Don said:

Taken over my hometown. I remember when this happened. It was rare to see all four color birds together and there were quite a few faces and cameras pressed against the fence along Airport RD.

Image result for CF-101B Voodoo

I was also in the hanger when 006 and 067 flew the last official Voodoo formation flight.

Image result for CF-101 101006

We’re you in 414? Did you know T-Dub (TW Smith)?

37 minutes ago, Scooby said:

We’re you in 414? Did you know T-Dub (TW Smith)?

No Scooby  I didn't know TW Smith. Not to say we weren't in the same room together at some point as odds are we were. I was there in a purely civilian role and just lucky enough to have had access to the last two 101's, T-Birds, Falcons, and initial Challenger(s) the Knights had... and front row seats to the close out ceremonies and festivities.

Regards,

Don

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Don
3 hours ago, Don said:

Yup that's the shot I was talking about. I actually have a nice 8x10 of that picture printed by DND. Pays to have some friends in the photo section of a CAF base 😁.

I remember too I was up at North Bay Ontario when the black Voodoo had its last flight. It was awesome. I was also lucky enough to go to air shows in the early 80s and see them fly plus crawl around them in the static display. What a beast. The noise when it passed in front of the crowd and hit the afterburners was the highlight of the show.👍👍👍

Edited by skyhawk174

For those interested, there is this YouTube video of the Cf-101B Voodoo closeout action at CFB North Bay. Its not the greatest clarity wise but remember... this was the mid-80's :popcorn::

And a USAF PSA type video (something to play in the background while at the workbench):

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 1:13 PM, Ben Brown said:

Cybermodeler has pics of the B and the RF-101A/C. The RF looks pretty good but they didn't bother to give it correct intakes for a single seater. I guess they didn't bother to read any of the reviews of their F-101A/C. :bandhead2:

Ben

I didn't notice that, until you pointed it out. Looked over all the F-101A/C, RF-101C and F-101B photos I have, and can see the difference. It's even correctly represented in the drawings in the Detail & Scale book. 

Well, that saves me from wasting my money on another fouled up Kitty Hawk kit. :soapbox:

Too bad "Bondo Phil" Brandt is no longer with us. He would be able to succinctly describe many of the products coming from Kitty Hawk, Hobby Boss and the like. :whistle:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
47 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

I didn't notice that, until you pointed it out. Looked over all the F-101A/C, RF-101C and F-101B photos I have, and can see the difference. It's even correctly represented in the drawings in the Detail & Scale book. 

Well, that saves me from wasting my money on another fouled up Kitty Hawk kit. :soapbox:

Too bad "Bondo Phil" Brandt is no longer with us. He would be able to succinctly describe many of the products coming from Kitty Hawk, Hobby Boss and the like. :whistle:

Larry

Word. Phil "Bondo"Brandt was amazing!