F-101B soon from Kitty Hawk

7 hours ago, KursadA said:

Why would KH fix it for a tooling that they designed years ago - that's what aftermarket is for.

Why not? AMK retooled the entire fuselage for their Kfir kit did they not? So it can and has been done. The intakes are flat out wrong for the single seat 101's  and this was pointed out to KH many times. Modelers know it (many won't buy the kit(s) because of them nor do they wish to cut and slice with AM... which doesn't exist...and potentially ruin the kit and AM in the process), and of course KH knows it. Besides, for a kit that's been out for four years (in the case of the F-101 A/C) we haven't seen any AM company step up to the plate with an intake fix and aside from whispers and vague mentions we have nothing concrete in that regards either.

I am simply saying that had KH taken the time to correct the intakes for the Recon Voodoo (and they had four years to do so...) they could have done what AMK did with their Kfir and remarketed the A/C fighter version as well. Two single seat Voodoo's with correct intakes and more modelers would be happy and odds are more kits sold. Missed opportunity by KH IMO.

Edited by Don
11 hours ago, Niels said:

Checking my reference pic's of the F-101C vs RF-101C, I don't see any difference in the intakes? There is however a difference towards the F/RF-101B I agree. 

But this leads me to believe that it is only an issue with the F-101B kit, and not the others. 

Just to further clarify this, the F-101C and RF-101C kits have the intakes that were designed for the F-101B. The F-101B kit has these same intakes. Kitty Hawk used the same intakes on all the F-101 kits. Only the B model has the correct intakes, the F-101C and RF-101C models have the wrong intake.

Looking at the sprues for the F-101A/C; 

[Close] F-101A/C Voodoo (Plastic model) Assembly guide12

and comparing with the same for the R/F-101B; 

[Close] F-101B/RF-101B Voodoo (Plastic model) Assembly guide15

It looks to me to be a suttle difference between the splitter plates? The F-101A/C may not be as straight as it should be, but still seems to be different from the -B

1340153496_F-101splitterplates.jpg.463cec044f8c2b6e435a01dc9add551c.jpg

Look pretty much the same in shape to me. The pic of the B model splitters shows the panel line detail and the sprue attachment points are different, but shape wise, the same.

Those sprue diagrams are NOT complete.

The actual kit includes an extra clear sprue with the port ID light cover (9) and fin tip trailing light (10, which should be used instead of part E16 as indicated in the instructions)

Tony

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Sorry to ask because I’m sure it’s buried in this thread but - what are the primary accuracy issues with this kit?    Slime lights, searchlight (for most versions), anything else?  

If you're talking about the F-101B I can't see any apart from:

Two dimensional side consoles, but you get a throttle and radar control stick

Slightly squashy Mr Song trademark canopy but it looks great closed 

Absence of data-link antennae under the rear fuselage, just the "mounting rectangle"

Somebody mentioned something about a teeny missing reflector sight on the glareshield

Rest is good to go. 

Tony 

56 minutes ago, tony.t said:

If you're talking about the F-101B I can't see any apart from:

Two dimensional side consoles, but you get a throttle and radar control stick

Slightly squashy Mr Song trademark canopy but it looks great closed 

Absence of data-link antennae under the rear fuselage, just the "mounting rectangle"

Somebody mentioned something about a teeny missing reflector sight on the glareshield

Rest is good to go. 

Tony 

There is also the wrong shape engine vent on the starboard side of the fuselage. Like the Monogram kit, they just copied the port side vents. The round vent should be rectangular on the starboard side. The split oval vents are the same on both sides.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

There is also the wrong shape engine vent on the starboard side of the fuselage. Like the Monogram kit, they just copied the port side vents. The round vent should be rectangular on the starboard side. The split oval vents are the same on both sides.

Oh yes, deal breaker. I'm losing the will to live here.

Aagh, as he slips into a Hammeresque abyss.

T...

16 hours ago, KursadA said:

Why would KH fix it for a tooling that they designed years ago - that's what aftermarket is for.

What we need is an innovative, risk-taking  resin/PE aftermarket company in the US market. If Dave Klaus (Cutting Edge/Meteor) were still in business, we would have excellent replacement F-101A/C intakes within weeks. Despite all the unfounded/undeserved criticism he still gets, he was an indisputed genius in identifying market needs; and the scale modeling hobby in general is worse off because of his absence. Eastern Europeans (Aires, Eduard etc.) might have the money and talent, but they have absolutely no vision and understanding of the American market and will  stick to their comfortable niche of cranking out endless streams of accessories for WWII German and current Russian/Soviet subjects.

Dave was one of the reasons this hobby peaked years ago, his product was second to none.

I worked on a few products with him, I miss his passion for this industry.

Edited by Scooby
52 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Oh yes, deal breaker. I'm losing the will to live here.

Aagh, as he slips into a Hammeresque abyss.

T...

??  Mstor did nothing except answer my question about what accuracy issues the kit has.   He didn't say anything else, simply provided a bit of info.  Certainly never implied that the issue was a "deal breaker".

Geez......

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I think that is a story for another thread. From what I know, its a long one.

I searched for the video but no luck... someone must have stolen it.....  🤡

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I searched for the video but no luck... someone must have stolen it.....  🤡

Do you mean Dave's final video speech thing? I don't think I ever saw it. Read the text of it I think. Someone must have it around. We could spend all day and night going on about Dave. I miss his products and his rapid response to the communities needs. He was a character but who doesn't have their quirks.

Edited by Mstor
6 hours ago, 11bee said:

??  Mstor did nothing except answer my question about what accuracy issues the kit has.   He didn't say anything else, simply provided a bit of info.  Certainly never implied that the issue was a "deal breaker".

Geez......

Too funny. I think  tony t. may have been tongue in cheek. If not, no sweat.

I'm hoping someone like AMUR Reaver or Metallic Details will do a photoetch set that will include a replacement vent. They have been good at doing this kind of photoetch in thin metal so you can carefully thin the surrounding plastic and inlay the PE flush with the surface.

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

Too funny. I think  tony t. may have been tongue in cheek. If not, no sweat.

I'm hoping someone like AMUR Reaver or Metallic Details will do a photoetch set that will include a replacement vent. They have been good at doing this kind of photoetch in thin metal so you can carefully thin the surrounding plastic and inlay the PE flush with the surface.

It was tongue-in-cheek and no offence was intended.

The vent is a stupid repeat but I'll probably do what I did with the old Monogram: use a decal. In fact, a set of decal vents of various shapes and sizes would be useful, but an etch part would be superior, if not a tiny bit fiddly to fit flush. 

Providing the rectangular base but not the data-link antennae for it was also a bit stupid, but I'm sure Aires will step in. 

Tony

Edited by tony.t
phrasing

S

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

It was tongue-in-cheek and no offence was intended.

The vent is a stupid repeat but I'll probably do what I did with the old Monogram: use a decal. In fact, a set of decal vents of various shapes and sizes would be useful, but an etch part would be superior, if not a tiny bit fiddly to fit flush. 

Providing the rectangular base but not the data-link antennae for it was also a bit stupid, but I'm sure Aires will step in. 

Tony

Sorry Tony.  Hard to tell sometimes.  It’s all good!

• 2 weeks later...

So I started building my Voodoo, this is my first kit from Kitty Hawk...I'll say I'm already into working on the intakes and hope things improve, had to raid the Monogram kit for the engine faces, which actually do fit, unless someone can give me good pictures that the middle part as the KH parts are shaped like a cone? Also discovered that the clear panel behind the pilots seat isn't there and there is a total lack of a gun sight "HUD" at all unless it can be in a stowed position? Otherwise the build is going great!

Edited by Falcon053

Thanks Jari,

I'm starting to think the kit is a little more correct than I gave it credit for. I have seen the pictures you posted of the intakes and the black was throwing me, looking at the duse on the top, the cone shape is correct.

16 hours ago, Falcon053 said:

So I started building my Voodoo, this is my first kit from Kitty Hawk...I'll say I'm already into working on the intakes and hope things improve, had to raid the Monogram kit for the engine faces, which actually do fit, unless someone can give me good pictures that the middle part as the KH parts are shaped like a cone? Also discovered that the clear panel behind the pilots seat isn't there and there is a total lack of a gun sight "HUD" at all unless it can be in a stowed position? Otherwise the build is going great!

Monogram definitely got the inlet cones wrong. And it looks like KH got the general shape correct for the off center cone but the large cooling inlet at the tip wasn't there on the F-101B/F as these were pointed.

RF-101C intake cone with cooling inlet

Cheers,

John