F-101B soon from Kitty Hawk

Nice pic of a couple of Voodoos.   Classic cold war shot.   Who out there can notice one thing that is a bit unusually about this picture?  Picture was on posted on another thread in ARC, courtesy of "Drifterdon".  

Canadian_F-101B_intercepting_B-52G_1980.jpeg

A couple ‘o things; the external tanks on the ‘101s arn’t the usual ones we’re used to seeing. They look familiar but I can’t place them. The other thing is I have the KH kit 75% finished and I’ve loved every step so far. My experience with KH is the Cougar and Banshee, borh of which had their challeges. But this kit is a real smasher. I’ve had good fit and love that there has been minimal filling attributed to the design. It’s all painted up and awaiting the re-issue of the TX ANG decals from Caracal. Some of those jets used to pass through Reese when I was stationed there in the late 70s early 80s. Love ‘em, love ‘em, love ‘em. I just can’t wait for the recce version!  

14 minutes ago, BillS said:

A couple ‘o things; the external tanks on the ‘101s arn’t the usual ones we’re used to seeing. They look familiar but I can’t place them. The other thing is I have the KH kit 75% finished and I’ve loved every step so far. My experience with KH is the Cougar and Banshee, borh of which had their challeges. But this kit is a real smasher. I’ve had good fit and love that there has been minimal filling attributed to the design. It’s all painted up and awaiting the re-issue of the TX ANG decals from Caracal. Some of those jets used to pass through Reese when I was stationed there in the late 70s early 80s. Love ‘em, love ‘em, love ‘em. I just can’t wait for the recce version!  

Good point but in this case, my comment was directed at the B-52.  Anyone see anything unusual?  

You can see the pilot and backseater, whatever they are called in a 101B, of the rear Voodoo staring directly at the guns. Would love to hear the conversation going on.

20 minutes ago, dylan said:

a review here

cybermodeler

Excellent build review, which shows the numerous flaws of the kit. I will DEFINITELY NOT be wasting my hard earned cash on it, even though I would like to do an RF-101B.

I hope the same person does this kind of review, when/if the RF-101C kit comes out.

This is NOT the type of review you will find on certain other modelling "discussion" forums. :whistle: 

Larry

Very well build review. I could gt used to reading those. For now I will still maintain my Monogram Voodoos however if the RF-101B kit is still hard to come by I may change my mind. Would love to do an RF-101G so will wait to see how that one turns out.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but just in case this may matter to anyone, I think the shape error in the cross section of the windshield/canopy is quite obvious:

Monogram(nicely rounded as its should be):

jackson101d.jpg

KH(squashed/flattened at the top):

Kittyhawk+F-101+%252891%2529.jpg

Real thing: https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/mcdonnell-f101-voodoo_25.jpg

v.jpg

Edited by delide
Attached image
9 hours ago, dylan said:

a review here

cybermodeler

Wrong site you used for the link.  Cybermodeler is the site with the puff "reviews" that consist of nothing more than a list of what's in the box and the obligatory "looks really great".  The site with the -101 review you linked to is

http://www.themodellingnews.com/

Great review and again reinforces why KH remains at the bottom of the barrel for quality.  Too bad, it was a great subject to make a kit out of.  Out of all the flaws, I think the squished canopy is the most egregious.  Can't imagine how they managed to screw that one up. 

Thanks for posting the link.  I'd never really paid attention to this site but now that I've checked it out, it's on my daily read list.   They have some quality stuff. 

On 7/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, BillS said:

A couple ‘o things; the external tanks on the ‘101s arn’t the usual ones we’re used to seeing. They look familiar but I can’t place them.

The F/CF-101's used two different styles of external tanks Streamlines and Stubby as we called them. Those of course pictured are the Streamline while Monogram and KH provide the Stubbies. As maintenance we hated the Streamlines, awkward to install and work around.

7 hours ago, 11bee said:

Wrong site you used for the link.  Cybermodeler is the site with the puff "reviews" that consist of nothing more than a list of what's in the box and the obligatory "looks really great".  The site with the -101 review you linked to is

http://www.themodellingnews.com/

Great review and again reinforces why KH remains at the bottom of the barrel for quality.  Too bad, it was a great subject to make a kit out of.  Out of all the flaws, I think the squished canopy is the most egregious.  Can't imagine how they managed to screw that one up. 

Thanks for posting the link.  I'd never really paid attention to this site but now that I've checked it out, it's on my daily read list.   They have some quality stuff. 

oops, I had tabs open for both sites at the time. was typing while looking at cybermodeler.

Edited by dylan

Well, I'm glad I have a few Monogram F-101B's stashed away. I'm not saying I won't grab one of these KH Voodoo's because its my favorite Century Series aircraft.  But its certainly very low on my list and if I don't get one I won't be too upset. I built their A/C and have another in the stash and I will probably get one KH single seat  RF-101  but I'm kind of disappointed with what I'm seeing. Missed opportunity in my opinion. KH could have owned the Voodoo market with just a bit more effort.  Oh well such is life.

Regards.

I think all the issues are easily fixed by grown-up modellers but themodellingnews quick fit has very useful pointers - thanks for the link.

Young inexperienced modellers might have a tough time and end up with a wonky airframe, so it's not one for them. But I don't think the Monogram version was much kinder either. I remember fighting the inlets for weeks, and that was after milling away the grossly exaggerated surface detail. 

Overall, the KH is floating my boat which is why I bought a pair of them. (With Caracal decals) it's simply a better kit. And I can live with the slightly squashed canopy bow profile for a closed hood, which is the way these are going to be built here in any case.

Short shots. I've not looked close enough but I am slightly miffed with the lack of SAGE data-link antennae on the provided mount, and hope Aires rapidly step in with a solution. 

Really looking forwards to the RF-101C due next month, so "chocks away" as the old saying goes: zooom!

Tony 

I am still on the fence with this new KH kit. I had hoped they would have updated the cockpit and fixed some of the other small details but no such luck I guess, well other than smoothing the plastic. I already have a Monogram Voodoo half way scribed so maybe I can cross kit the parts from this and use them on the KH kit.

I too am looking forward to the RF-101G as the markings are way cool plus there has never been one in 1/48th before, at least I think so.

I’ve got an old Black Box pit that looks like it will work with the KH kit per themodellingnews blog, so the PE will hit the scrap bin pretty quickly.

Has anyone tried fitting the Revell canopy and windscreen to the KH kit?  Having two Revell kits in my stash, that might be a quick solution to the flattened canopy issue.

27 minutes ago, lockheed2004 said:

I’ve got an old Black Box pit that looks like it will work with the KH kit per themodellingnews blog, so the PE will hit the scrap bin pretty quickly.

Has anyone tried fitting the Revell canopy and windscreen to the KH kit?  Having two Revell kits in my stash, that might be a quick solution to the flattened canopy issue.

Well as far as I know the Black Box set was made for the Monogram Voodoo so it may or may not fit but will be much better than the Kitty Hawk cockpit. Probably won't take much to massage it into the kit. The Revell kit I think is the rebox of the Monogram kit and that is probably a good idea. I should try that but I have to get the Kitty Hawk kit first.

This is really disappointing for me, as I was really hoping that KH would get this one right, but no cigar. I am not sure how they get away with putting out sub-standard model kits. I guess their Asian market just doesn't care about accuracy and fit. I even got rid of my Monogram kit that I had with the BB cockpit, I guess that was premature as well. Oh well, I have plenty of other kits to build.

Brad

23 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

A guy in the local club brought a KH to Saturday's meeting along with a Monogram clear tree to show the differences and the KH windscreen is much wider at the very front and flatter allover such that the Monogram will certainly not drop fit onto the KH but you may be able to hack  and fill to make it fit. We didn't look at the fit of the rear canopy such as hinge positions and such but you would not be able to mix the two due to shape differences so there would be quite a bit of work to fit the two part  Monogram canopy (which looks more like the real thing in pictures) so maybe someone will do a better canopy in vacuform for the KH kit but it would have to include some "bodywork" on each side of the front windscreen to narrow the front glass area but fit properly.....

Edited by RCAFFAN
23 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

A guy in the local club brought a KH to Saturday's meeting along with a Monogram clear tree to show the differences and the KH windscreen is much wider at the very front and flatter allover such that the Monogram will certainly not drop fit onto the KH but you may be able to hack  and fill to make it fit. We didn't look at the fit of the rear canopy such as hinge positions and such but you would not be able to mix the two due to shape differences so there would be quite a bit of work to fit the two part  Monogram canopy (which looks more like the real thing in pictures) so maybe someone will do a better canopy in vacuform for the KH kit but it would have to include some "bodywork" on each side of the front windscreen to narrow the front glass area but fit properly.....

Thanks for the feedback.  That’s disappointing to hear, but won’t keep me from getting the kit.  Hopefully, like

you said, someone comes to the rescue with a replacement canopy.

1 hour ago, lockheed2004 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  That’s disappointing to hear, but won’t keep me from getting the kit.  Hopefully, like

you said, someone comes to the rescue with a replacement canopy.

A bit of a long shot, only outfit that’s done clear resin at a good quality level is hypersonic.   My concern is that the entire geometry of the windscreen is off so if you correct the top, it could throw other areas further out of wack.  

Pretty disappointing...  I’ve always liked the B model and was looking forward to this kit.