F-101B soon from Kitty Hawk

18 hours ago, 11bee said:

My concern is that the entire geometry of the windscreen is off so if you correct the top, it could throw other areas further out of wack.    

This makes no sense as the area where the canopy fits is a fixed spot. Making a better canopy to fit that spot isn't going to change anything else, just give you a better canopy....

Different kits, different bits.

I'd rather rework the kit parts a tad, which I'm guessing will work out better than themodellingmadness' taped-up assembly with an obvious gap between the fwd fuse halves where the canopy hood hinge tabs meet. Obviously, the Voodoo B kit is not one to tape and glue with a touch'n'flow without a lot of dry fitting. And ditto how said assembly meets the fuse mid section - care required. 

My shopping list:

Aires or similar replacement probosci, a SAGE data-link antennae.

Master nose pitot and tail fin L/E tube.

In 1/48 I can very happily live with decal'd etch cockpit panels, as long as throttles etc are added on for a more 3D effect a though not sure how much will be seen by the time that clamshell canopy hood is glued in place with PVA.

RF-101G/H modellers need more extras, but mine are going to be F-101Bs in 16473 Aircraft Gray in Texas, Minnesota and maybe North Dakoya Happy Hooligans decals from Caracal so problem solved. 

Still like the "lightness" of the KH assemblies (the Monogram was moulded in tin) and looking forwards to the RF-101C etc boxing. Just wished KH would get a move on with the 1/32 F-84F and RF-84F Streak and Flash.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

So if the windscreen is too flat at the top, is the canopy also too flat? Besides the rectangular vent on the right side after portion of the intake, is there anything else wrong with the 101B?

TIA

Brad

It's been covered in this thread but, essentially, the other things that need fixing comprise:

* the SAGE data link antennae are missing from the rectangular shoe under the rear fuselage

* the inter cockpit windshield is moulded in grey instead of clear plastic, so parts need to be cut out and replaced with clear 

If you want to model the RF-101B then there are other issues, chiefly modifying the weapons bay cradle with a flush skin (on the Falcon side) and adding reconnaissance-related black boxes on the other (Genie side, although I'm not sure the modded pallet still rotated so this can be considered unnecessary).

I don't think the slightly squashed canopy bow frame is anything to get neurotic about, but then I'd build my two with closed hoods.

HTH

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
to edit
3 hours ago, Brad-M said:

So if the windscreen is too flat at the top, is the canopy also too flat?

Yes, but it’s not so noticeable in comparison to windscreen.

40 minutes ago, tony.t said:

* the SAGE data link antennae are missing from the rectangular shoe under the rear fuselage

* the inter cockpit windshield is moulded in grey instead of clear plastic, so parts need to be cut out and replaced with clear

That’s all correct Tony. In addition to your words I have to say that the tail position lights’ glass end cap molded in grey by Kitty Hawk and it must be a clear part, too.

Also the instructions wrongly display the position of the flaps when its opened: it not just opens, it moves backwards to the wing edge.

Cheers! 🙃

I blurbed about this on the Monogram vs. KH thread but it got little interest. 

The HB F3H kit has a windscreen that looks suitable, with a little filing, to possibly make a nice F-101B windscreen.  However, not having either kit to compare sizes and curvature, it may be a moot point.  If anyone has both kits, maybe they can compare.  It may also be possible to use an F-4E windscreen.  Hasegawa has kits where the closed and open sets are both included...On first glance, the windscreen looks like a good candidate.

Just a thought. 

148 F3H canopy compare to F101 01c.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
20 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

I blurbed about this on the Monogram vs. KH thread but it got little interest. 

The HB F3H kit has a windscreen that looks suitable, with a little filing, to possibly make a nice F-101B windscreen.  However, not having either kit to compare sizes and curvature, it may be a moot point.  If anyone has both kits, maybe they can compare.  It may also be possible to use an F-4E windscreen.  Hasegawa has kits where the closed and open sets are both included...On first glance, the windscreen looks like a good candidate.

Just a thought. 

148 F3H canopy compare to F101 01c.jpg

I have the F3H kit and personally I think it is too long and too high to use as a substitute. I am surprised no one has come up with a replacement as of yet considering how long the KH F-101A has been out. Maybe there is no interest in an update as yet?

I wish Quickboost will issue the new intake for the starboard side and maybe a few other things like antennas. I know they have done this before for other kits so there is hope. Now with soon to be more versions of the Voodoo available they will do something? I seem to recall that there is a tab to suggest subjects on their web site so I will try there.

Edited by skyhawk174
22 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes...

That’s all correct Tony. In addition to your words I have to say that the tail position lights’ glass end cap molded in grey by Kitty Hawk and it must be a clear part, too...

Cheers! 🙃

The F-101B kit includes the clear cap for the fin trailing edge: ignore the instructions, the clear part is on the same tiny extra clear sprue as the ID light covering. 

Tony 

It's not included in the sprue layout figs but you can see the little clear sprue as an extra at top right of this image:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10534092/40/5

It's included in both my F-101B kits. Do not use part E16 but the clear tail tip from the extra clear sprue.

Shame they didn't include the navigator's windshield in clear as well, but you can't have everything! Will need to see the RF-101C box to see if the clear tail tip light covering is included or not - the sprue images indicate it's likely missing in the latest boxing but I'll reserve judgement till I have the long nosed kit in hand.

Tony 

7 hours ago, tony.t said:

The F-101B kit includes the clear cap for the fin trailing edge: ignore the instructions, the clear part is on the same tiny extra clear sprue as the ID light covering.

Oops! My bad, I haven’t noticed it while a quick sprues inspection 🤔

6 hours ago, tony.t said:

Do not use part E16 but the clear tail tip from the extra clear sprue.

Thanks, great news!

6 hours ago, tony.t said:

Will need to see the RF-101C box to see if the clear tail tip light covering is included or not - the sprue images indicate it's likely missing in the latest boxing but I'll reserve judgement till I have the long nosed kit in hand.

Looks like it’s not on the clear sprues of the RF-101 kit.

Thanks Tony 🤝

On 8/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, but it’s not so noticeable in comparison to windscreen.

That’s all correct Tony. In addition to your words I have to say that the tail position lights’ glass end cap molded in grey by Kitty Hawk and it must be a clear part, too.

Also the instructions wrongly display the position of the flaps when its opened: it not just opens, it moves backwards to the wing edge.

Cheers! 🙃

Actually the flaps only move back about 12" with the leading edge of the flap moving up into the flap well when fully extended. They do not move to the wing edge.

That being said, the instructions do tell you to mount them in the incorrect location though.

Cheers,

John

On 8/13/2018 at 6:13 PM, CF104 said:

Actually the flaps only move back about 12" with the leading edge of the flap moving up into the flap well when fully extended. They do not move to the wing edge.

Thanks John, that’s what I want to say but put it incorrect.

This:

04-11.jpg

Nikolay, based on your F-101 build (same parts) can the flaps sit comfortably the way they're supposed to, or do we need to use little plastic tabs or similar?

Cheers

Tony

11 hours ago, tony.t said:

Nikolay, based on your F-101 build (same parts) can the flaps sit comfortably the way they're supposed to, or do we need to use little plastic tabs or similar?

Oh, I discovered the right flaps position only after I was glued them wrong, so I don’t know exactly... I think there is not a problem as the groove exists, but there will be an actuator that’s missed in the kit 😦

Anyway, I have two other kits and waiting for the RF-, so I’ll nail it in the future.

The only bad thing that I’m stuck with the painting and partially lost the mojo. Sometimes the perfectionism is not a good thing...

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • 4 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 11:50 PM, tony.t said:

If someone still interested in the simple and fast solution, this is one from an Eduard:

49941_02.jpg

Cheers! 😎

3 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

If someone still interested in the simple and fast solution, this is one from an Eduard:

49941_02.jpg

Cheers! 😎

Look’s great, Kitty Hawk lots are often neglected by aftermarket sets, especially the resin makers.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:32 AM, Scooby said:

Look’s great, Kitty Hawk lots are often neglected by aftermarket sets, especially the resin makers.

Maybe that’s because an F-101 A/C kit was not so popular? For me, to have an Eduard’s parts is more than enough to build these great Voodoos.

Cheers! 😎

On 12/27/2018 at 9:32 PM, Scooby said:

The single-seat Voodoos from Kitty Hawk need a resin correction set for the intakes.

2 hours ago, Piker38 said:

The single-seat Voodoos from Kitty Hawk need a resin correction set for the intakes.

I think it’s will be a PITA to attach the resin parts there, so I’ll recommend just to cut it along with a splitter plate, as I did it before. Anyway, the new KH kits (RF-101C) has an additional parts to make a «proper» intake lips. I don’t know how it works - maybe a good decision...

Cheers! 😎

On 27 December 2018 at 9:28 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

49941_02.jpg

Cheers! 😎

Looks absolutely great Nikolay.

I've just bought two of the full F-101B interior sets (plus the RF-101C zoom versions, plus "steel" seat belts for all four Voodoos). Very indulgent purchases when you have four Kitties to outfit with accessories. 

(Bought one of the D-Mold recce noses too — kerching again! The other will be a plastic nose job to match the D-Mold.)

Waiting for something like Aires Quickboost for the missing F-101B SAGE dara-link antennae, though that can be found on a Quickboost set for the 'Six.

Tony

31 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Looks absolutely great Nikolay.

Eh, sorry Tony - it’s an advertisement picture from an Eduard’s website 😬 I can’t put my hands on the «B» yet...

33 minutes ago, tony.t said:

I've just bought two of the full F-101B interior sets (plus the RF-101C zoom versions, plus "steel" seat belts for all four Voodoos).

Same here, but I skip the belts set because I have a resin seat sets from the True Details.

40 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Very indulgent purchases when you have four Kitties to outfit with accessories. 

Yes, I’m totally agree.

41 minutes ago, tony.t said:

(Bought one of the D-Mold recce noses too — kerching again! The other will be a plastic nose job to match the D-Mold.)

I saw that masterpiece, but an absence of the proper IP shroud is a deal-breaker for me.

47 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Waiting for something like Aires Quickboost for the missing F-101B SAGE dara-link antennae, though that can be found on a Quickboost set for the 'Six.

Who knows, who knows Tony... But I think it’s not so problematic to scratch-build it.

Cheers! 😎