AH-1J SeaCobra question

Not being overly familiar with helicopter modelling I hope one of you guys may be able to advise me.

I am considering doing the Imperial Iranian Air Force as a project and one of the major Iranian types was the Bell AH-1J SeaCobra. What are my options for building one in 1/72 scale?

As far as I can figure only Fujimi have modelled the AH-1J in this scale and they seem as rare as hens teeth!

Am I correct in thinking the AH-1T was the upgraded version and if so how easy is it to back date?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The AH-1J Sea Cobra and the AH-1T Super Sea Cobra are distinctly different from each other. The AH-1T has a longer tail boom and different engines which I believe required a re-configured engine housing. The T was the precursor to the AH-1W Super Cobra so there are more similarities between the T and W then there is between a J and a T. In my opinion, it would be a challenge to back date T to a J.

I don't recall if any other company other than Fujimi makes a 1:72 AH-1J, but it is the only one that comes to mind.

Now, the italeri / Testors 1:72 AH-1T could be a J (as produced by Fujimi...) with minor modifications so that Italeri could call it a J. It's' been known for some model companies to re-issue a kit marketing it as being something it is not. It might be worth looking into.

As a 1:48 modeler it took me awhile to chase down the 1:48/1:50 version of the Fujimi AH-1J Sea Cobra. But, patience was rewarded.

Good luck on your hunt.

Kerry

I believe the T and the J share engines (T-400 twin pack), but the T has the UH-1N style tail but the J has the early Cobra style tail.

The T+ was the demonstrator for the W model.

Cheers

H.

I believe the T and the J share engines (T-400 twin pack), but the T has the UH-1N style tail but the J has the early Cobra style tail.

The T+ was the demonstrator for the W model.

Cheers

H.

The T has a totally different tail than the J or N model , that was lengthened to accommodate the 50 ft 214 main rotor. The T also has a wide chord tail rotor that is much larger than the J. The T shares much more in common with the W than the J as the W is basically an upgraded T with new more powerful engines. Also, unless it is a slick nose T, the AH-1T has the TSU for the TOW missile system which the J lacked. In my opinion regarding concerting a T to a J it is one of those "you can't get there from here" scenarios. I'm sure nothing is impossible for some of you guys though!

Ray

All I can say is WOW! knowledge on here is astounding.

I take my hat and walk away in shame to my civvy 212... (lol) not really ashamed.

Rotorwash, thanks for clarifications.

Just to confuse the issue further, the 214A/B/B1 etc all have a 48 foot diameter Main Rotor, the 214ST has a 52 foot diameter Main Rotor, but I think the Cobra and the 214s in all iterations share gearboxes and tail rotors.

The tail-boom does look closer to the 214ST, with the horizontal stab being different, perhaps that is the case then? Ray, can you elaborate further, as this has now tweaked my interest a bit...

Cheers

Harald.

All I can say is WOW! knowledge on here is astounding.

I take my hat and walk away in shame to my civvy 212... (lol) not really ashamed.

Rotorwash, thanks for clarifications.

Just to confuse the issue further, the 214A/B/B1 etc all have a 48 foot diameter Main Rotor, the 214ST has a 52 foot diameter Main Rotor, but I think the Cobra and the 214s in all iterations share gearboxes and tail rotors.

The tail-boom does look closer to the 214ST, with the horizontal stab being different, perhaps that is the case then? Ray, can you elaborate further, as this has now tweaked my interest a bit...

Cheers

Harald.

Harald,

The 214 A/B has a 50 ft Main rotor and a 48 ft fuselage. As far as i know the AH-1T and AH-1W both used essentially the 214 drive train. The tailboom on the T and W is fundamentally different from any other Huey and Cobra as far as I am aware. Here are some comparison shots so you can judge for yourself. HTH

Ray

First up, the AH-1J. Photo is from Mike Verier: The J has the same 44 ft 540 main rotor as the AH-1G.

AH-1J%20Camp%20Pendleton%2051_zpst4vaazu3.jpg

Next the AH-1T. Sorry it's in flight but T pics are hard to come by. This shot is from the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Note this is a TOW T so she has a TSU in the nose, however, some AH-1Ts lacked the TSU and were referred to as slicks. Slick Ts were essentially identical to the J back to the root of the tailboom. However, as you can see, the tailboom is VERY different between the T and the J:

USNAM%20AH-1019_zpsbnugcjfa.jpg

Finally, here is a AH-1W from Mike Verier. I believe this is a pre-NTS bird. You can see she is essentially a T with new more powerful engines. Note the 214 main and tail rotor and the much wider chord to the tailfin like the T.

AH-1W%20Camp%20Pendleton%20Misc%2021%20edited_zpskeosqhj1.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

Slick Ts were essentially identical to the J back to the root of the tailboom.

Essentially identical, but note the stretch behind the cockpit, in front of the doghouse fairing.

J-model doghouse is at the edge of the glass, T-model shows about six inches of sheet metal.

The Fujimi J-model kit is kind of a dog. The fuselage has shape issues, the main rotor is terrible, and the weapons are sketchy.

The path to a J-model I recommend is kitbashing the Monogram G fuselage and rotor with the engine cowling and weapons of the Italeri T.

Especially if you are doing the Iranian J - you need the TOW missiles and TSU from the Italeri kit.

They are both raised-panel-line kits, so the parts match nicely, and the cut line for the engine transplant matches the Monogram fuselage panel lines.

e3465bb9-c196-4378-a6cd-e1346c91c726_zpsgnvrmq8h.jpg

Edited by RotorheadTX

I build My AH-1J International using the AH-1G from AZ models and the entire engine area from the fujimi kit, I would say that you can use the special hobby kit as well...another option would be using the tail boom and rotors from the AH-1G and the nose and engines from the italeri AH-1T, at least that´s what I will do with my next iranian cobra.

Here you have a picture of my kitbash

AH-1J%20IRIAA%20Terminado%202_zpsgou95h6j.jpg

• 3 years later...

Bumping this thread.

I'm starting the 1/72 Testors/Italeri AH-1T. I understand that the T had the longer tail boom from the J, plus other things. 

However, I'm now seeing pictures of updated Iranian AH-1J Toufan with a mix of older sensor noses and a ball sensor. The picture below looks like the tail boom is also longer. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Iran-Army/Bell-AH-1J-Toufan-I-209/2256531

So, can an updated Toufan be built from the T kit?

Thanks,

Jeff

There's plenty of options out there if you want to do a T, including a Navy Cross pilot's aircraft during Urgent Fury.There's also this interesting 3 color scheme in a discussion about 5 years ago.

6896.jpg

• 3 weeks later...