My wish - A 1/48 Tu-95 bear

I remember about 20 years ago, a modeller scratch built a Tu-95 in 1/48. Looked great with the exception of the canopy windows. He used some clear acetate and it did not come out as good as he had hoped. The rest was amazing.

I saw it at a model contest and it was pretty much the first thing you saw when you entered the model room since it towered over everything else on the table on its spindly landing gear. I am thinking that if anyone was to do it, it would be Trumpeter since they already have one in 1/72nd. I have that by the way as even that is pretty big.

I have learnt never to say never because I have been burnt so many times saying that. Oh well here's hoping and I might as well start saving up my pennies :lol: :lol:

That would be really cool!! You have to love those huge contra-rotating props. That would be one huge model. I am still waiting in vain for a 1/48 B-52 and B-36. :bandhead2: I don't think either will happen.

Keep modeling and be happy

Johnny_K

Yeah a 1/48 B-36 would be AWESOME :woot.gif: ! I have no idea where I'd put it...maybe build an outbuilding/hangar...but it would be a cool beast to have!

Never say never... a few years ago, if you said 1/32 and B-17 to anyone people would have thought you were nuts. Now, we've got two. Same goes for 1/32 Lancaster, B-25s... those are pretty damn big, and there's companies with the technology to injection mold big stuff.

I doubt the Tu-95 is really high on the release list, but it's probably not as far fetched as you might think.

Edited by AnthonyWan

Ok many years ago at a IPMS USA National convention in Ohio in 1988 I saw a 1/48 B-52 kit. I almost bought it but it was in Vacuform. Thank goodness we did not have room as I would probably be single now. Anyway it was not small. The guy was holding it up for me to see as the fuselage halves were already cut out. Looked like he had landed a big trout :)

Mike, is that Sanger stuff resin or vac? Heard some good stuff about those kits. Also, I hate you for posting that link as I saw it and my mind started to figure out how to buy it. :woot.gif:

Well I have been looking at that B-47 and its a vacuform with resin and metal. So I am guessing the B-52 and others would be vacuform as well. I haven't done a vac since the early 1980's as there really hasn't been a need to. But honestly, I have always liked the looks of the B-47 and wouldn't mind one in 1/48. Very tempted.

I think I will go sit down and let the moment pass... :lol:

:cheers:

A 1/48 Tu-95 would have a 41" wingspan and 38" length--a tad bigger than that 1/32 B-17.

A 1/48 B-36 clocks in at 57.5" wingspan and 40.5" length. I'll stick with my 1/144 FICON, which is 19"x13.5", and will squeeze into my 48"x18" display cabinet.

A 1/32 B-36 would need a Smart car's parking space. :woot.gif:

A 1/48 Tu-95 would have a 41" wingspan and 38" length--a tad bigger than that 1/32 B-17.

A 1/48 B-36 clocks in at 57.5" wingspan and 40.5" length. I'll stick with my 1/144 FICON, which is 19"x13.5", and will squeeze into my 48"x18" display cabinet.

A 1/32 B-36 would need a Smart car's parking space. :woot.gif:/>

You could probably park the Smart Car in the B-36's bomb bay.

Well I have been looking at that B-47 and its a vacuform with resin and metal. So I am guessing the B-52 and others would be vacuform as well. I haven't done a vac since the early 1980's as there really hasn't been a need to. But honestly, I have always liked the looks of the B-47 and wouldn't mind one in 1/48. Very tempted.

I think I will go sit down and let the moment pass... :lol:/>

:cheers:/>

Well, I e-mailed Sange to see how much the B-47 costs in US dollars. With the huge drop in the value of the pound it may not be too costly. I have never built a vac model, but this one is a possibility. It would look really nice in Bare Metal Foil.

Sanger's stuff is vac. And it's *probably* the only way you'll get a 1/48 BUF - I can't imagine anyone releasing an injected kit any time soon.

As for the B-47, IIRC there was a build thread here on ARC (or maybe britmodeller?). All I can find is the finished article, though: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6301-6400/gal6380-B-47-Aibara/00.shtm

...or if you want to get really stupid... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53878

That B-47 sure is tempting... :rolleyes:/>

That would be a really cool subject.

Hey, if Trumpeter can release a 1/48 Type VII U-Boat, I see no reason why they couldn't release a Bear or similar sized aircraft in 48th scale.

The 1/48 U-boat is aimed as much at the R/C crowd as static modelers, though.

But with a clear half and interior details? Got to be real careful when you glue that seam. Imagine springing a leak in the middle of a lake. Will be a real U-boat sinking :)/>

Edited by skyhawk174

Below are photos of the TU-95. Checkout those props!!!!!

Yet more proof we need this in 1/48th. It may happen. Who would have thought we would see a 1/35th Mil 24 Hind. Not I. I would have lost the house on that bet :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I e-mailed Sange to see how much the B-47 costs in US dollars. With the huge drop in the value of the pound it may not be too costly. I have never built a vac model, but this one is a possibility. It would look really nice in Bare Metal Foil.

I am currently building it. A lot of scratch building. No resin parts but white metal parts. Some are crude and unusable. Can't remember what it cost though.

....and you were wondering where I was going to park a couple of 72nd Bones????

Did you know that Mike B. bought the 1/48 Concorde at Telford a couple of years back? And last year I thought he scored some other large 48th kit but it escapes me now!? Better start building the addition to the house for the models......

To make a 1/48 scale Tu-95 Bear, you could always start with the 1/48th Revell/Monogram B-29 kit.....

The fuselage diameters are the same.

Lengthen the fuselage, scratch some swept wings and NK-12 turboprops and you're halfway there.

Seeemples....

Ken

....and you were wondering where I was going to park a couple of 72nd Bones????

Did you know that Mike B. bought the 1/48 Concorde at Telford a couple of years back? And last year I thought he scored some other large 48th kit but it escapes me now!? Better start building the addition to the house for the models......

Well I can be silly once in my modelling life right :)

As for the addition, I am actually working on plans for a garage suite. It will be about 600 sq ft (56 sq m) above a double car garage. Right now it is a detached double car garage so got plans drawn up for a one bedroom apartment. I will have to demolish what is there and start over. According to the city, I am already zoned to do that so all is good that way.

Will make a great modelling den/man cave but my sister may be renting it out so may have to revise plans.