Another Of The Greatest generation Gone

He was born in 1922 to immigrant parents who barely spoke English, and in his first four years of grade school the nuns taught all of the classes in Polish. He starred in high school sports, as basketball forward, baseball shortstop, and football quarterback and captain of the team despite being only 5’4”; as a joke his coach gave him the nickname of "Murph", because the coach and almost everybody else on the team was Irish. After high school graduation he joined the Army, becoming a Ranger and saw landings and tough combat in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy before being wounded at Anzio for the third time, this time badly enough to start his long trip home.

After returning home he married, graduated college, and raised a family. He again starred in sports at college, playing basketball and baseball, despite the two Mg 42 rounds he had taken in his leg, leaving a large divot, complications, and pain that would nag him for the rest of his life. He and his wife, who never graduated high school, worked full time, plus he worked two part time jobs to send all three of his sons to prep school and college in a blue collar neighborhood where college was very much the exception. He proudly watched the oldest son grow up to become a teacher and noted high school football coach, his second son go into politics and become the Deputy Mayor of one of the largest cities in America, and his youngest son become a fighter pilot. He also suffered the loss of his beloved wife of 33 years to cancer, and through it all he was one of those people you meet in life that are truly good, without a bad bone in their body.

He would have been 94 this October, but he died in his sleep this weekend.

Goodbye Dad.

Edited by Murph

I'm sorry for your loss, my dad passed in 96. A marine who served in the Pacific Theatre in WWII. They truly were part of the Greatest Generation. Thank you for your service Murph!

Edited by farmerboy

I know what its like to lose your Dad. So very sorry for your loss Murph. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Don.

You were a lucky son to have him as a Dad and I suspect he was quite proud to have you as his son. I'm sorry his body has passed on...but his spirit remains very much alive in your heart....you will feel him around you for the rest of your life. He isn't really gone....he's just next door in a room with a door you can't open.

You were a lucky son to have him as a Dad...

Steve,

That's always how I felt. Thank you everybody for the kind words and condolences.

Regards,

Murph

Murph, condolences to you and the family on the loss of your dad. May he rest in peace in that

new place he is now. Sounds like he was a terrific dad and man, the kind every boy should have. :salute:/> To another one from the greatest generation. Thank you.

Jerry

Edited by k5ikl

Murph,

Your dad sounds like an amazing man who skillfully and successfully played the cards life dealt him. It's obvious you were very proud of him and by the way you spoke, he of you and your mom and your siblings.

With deepest sympathies,

Mike