Revell 1/48 B-24

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my Revell 1/48 B-24. Except for one major issue, this was an easy build. I think this model is from the same era as Revell's B-17.

The major issue is that the molds must have slipped when the fuselage was made. The front of the fuselage at the opening for the astrodome do not alaign properly.

b24%20with%20arrows_zpsbunntthk.jpg

I resolved the issue by using clamps to realign the two fuselage halves. I then used tape to hold the two halves together

DSCN4595_zpsx3cajl2s.jpg

I painted the airplane with two shades of Testors' Metallic paints (rattle cans): Aluminum Plate and Stainless Steel. I like the results.

DSCN4552%20Small_zpslun07fhx.jpg

There is a lot of clear plastic in this kit, so I used Eduard masks to their full advantage. A lot of patience is required whenapplying the masks.

DSCN4599%20Small_zpsqesv4kww.jpg

After the decals were applied I weathered the model with Tamyia Smoke.

DSCN4638%20Small_zpsmeikj5ao.jpg

DSCN4631%20Small_zpsfdmxnpr3.jpg

DSCN4630%20Small_zpsof90agg1.jpg

DSCN4640%20Small_zpslcpfwx1x.jpg

DSCN4663%20Small_zpsywmsqnhr.jpg

You just have to love the guns sticking out of the nose:

DSCN4636%20Small_zpsjxhnde0b.jpg

I seem to have exceeded the allowed number of images that I am allowed in a single post, so I'll add Part II for this post.

The nice thing about the Monogram B-24 kits is that you don't have to glue the wings on. They slide right into the openings of the fuselage with only an ever so slight gap but they can be removed for transport or storage. A nice feature for a big kit.

Well done again!

:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words. A number of Liberators were left in natural metal. I am waiting for Revell to reissue the Liberator with the goofy looking front turret. That was on strange looking plane.

Keep modeling and be happy

Johnny_K

I've never seen a natura metal D model.

Me neither.

A number of Liberators were left in natural metal.

Not D/E models. That change occurred later during H/J production.

Also, Fightin Sam was a camouflaged B-24D:

FIGHTINSAM1.JPG

Nice model, though. The natural metal finish is very nice. ;)

D

Me neither.

Not D/E models. That change occurred later during H/J production.

Also, Fightin Sam was a camouflaged B-24D:

FIGHTINSAM1.JPG

Nice model, though. The natural metal finish is very nice. ;)/>

D

I know that this may be a no-no, but I am not too concerned about historical accuracy with my models. I tend to build them the way I think they look best. After all, the main reason that we make models is for pure enjoyment and fun. I finished a 1/48 B-17 painted in olive drab before I made the B-24. I was tired of making painted airplanes, so I made the B24 in natural metal finish.

Keep modeling and have fun.

Johnny_K

It's a decent shot of the prototype. I'm about 99% sure that's what it is. The engine nacelles are much different than production versions, there's no turrets, the props are typical "between the wars" style and the canopy enclosure is stouter than on the production versions.

In my younger days, I built a few of these Monogram B-24 Liberators and enjoyed them all in spite of their shortcomings. They say ignorance is bliss and with respect to models like this, they are soooo right. What you don't know doesn't matter. They show off well and their size is impressive. I've built even more of the Monogram B-17's. Johnny_K did a pretty damn good job on the NMF, even if it isn't an accurate paint job for the old girl.

I suffer from chronic AMS and to that end, I cannot pick up one of the old Monogram bombers knowing full well, I'll never be able to complete it out of the box. There's just too much stuff I'd have to correct to make it pass my own muster. So, I look at others who build them and think how nice the old kit looks in new paint.

I really enjoy Revell's big old bombers. When I was a kid I built a B-17, B29 and B36 in the mid 50's. I think they were box scale models.

My winter project is going to be a 1/48 scale B-29 with Bare Metal Foil. :woo: It ought to be one good looking big model. I am really into Bare Metal Foil. My next BMF builds will be a Saber Jet and an F-104. Last year I made a BMF P-47. I'll post it tomorrow.

I know that this may be a no-no, but I am not too concerned about historical accuracy with my models.

All well and good. Your model built your way.

But, the "no-no" might come into play when presenting fictitious information as factual such as this:

A number of Liberators were left in natural metal.

Some new guy comes along, reads the fiction, and the next thing you know he spreads the word about B-24Ds that were delivered "left in natural metal". Hey, he read it online so it MUST be true. Those of us that do care about such things then end up spending the next 20 years attempting to dispel yet another myth. If you've ever had a conversation with someone about blue Mustangs of the 361st FG based on misprinted photographs, or all-yellow Fw 190s based on Clostermann's exaggerated descriptions, then you'll know where I'm coming from.

Also, EVERYONE that builds models does it because they enjoy it. Please don't assume that others don't enjoy the hobby because they don't enjoy it the way you do. ;)

As for those seeking caveats, Johnny K's model sports the markings of Fightin Sam, which WAS a camouflaged aircraft, so seeking caveats is a moot point.

Cheers,

D

But, the "no-no" might come into play when presenting fictitious information as factual such as this:

Some new guy comes along, reads the fiction, and the next thing you know he spreads the word about B-24Ds that were delivered "left in natural metal". Hey, he read it online so it MUST be true. Those of us that do care about such things then end up spending the next 20 years attempting to dispel yet another myth. If you've ever had a conversation with someone about blue Mustangs of the 361st FG based on misprinted photographs, or all-yellow Fw 190s based on Clostermann's exaggerated descriptions, then you'll know where I'm coming from.

Also, EVERYONE that builds models does it because they enjoy it. Please don't assume that others don't enjoy the hobby because they don't enjoy it the way you do. ;)/>

As for those seeking caveats, Johnny K's model sports the markings of Fightin Sam, which WAS a camouflaged aircraft, so seeking caveats is a moot point.

Cheers,

D

Dude,

You are waaaaaay to serious about this thing. Sorry that the "new guy" passed on some incorrect information. I saw some photos of B-24's in natural metal finish. I guess that they were later versions. My fault. I don't care that the real "fighting sam" was painted. I like mine better. I didn't realize that building models was all about building ACTUAL representations of the actual plane. Take a chill pill man. You need it.

GREAT job on the model! That has got to be one of the best rattle can finishes I've ever seen. While I strive for accuracy, enjoyment will always come first and foremost for me. I love those big Monogram bombers, warts and all. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about their perceived "warts". They're big. They're fun. They're nostalgic for me. Keep up the great work and the enjoyment of the build!

Eric

GREAT job on the model! That has got to be one of the best rattle can finishes I've ever seen. While I strive for accuracy, enjoyment will always come first and foremost for me. I love those big Monogram bombers, warts and all. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about their perceived "warts". They're big. They're fun. They're nostalgic for me. Keep up the great work and the enjoyment of the build!

Eric

Eric,

thanks for your comments. I have been using rattle cans for years. Like using an airbrush, technique is everything.

DSCN3917_zpsyogvhnsj.jpg

I used to use an air brush, but I found that I was spending more time cleaning it than painting with it. Tamyia has a better nozzle that Testors. Tamyia's paint comes out of the nozzel in a finer mist that Testors. The problem with rattle cans is the limited number of colors. With an air brush the skys the limit regarding colors.

Johnny_K

I hear ya. For me, it's a love/hate relationship with my airbrush for the exact same reasons you mentioned. Same goes with the rattle cans. I love the simplicity and the fact that I don't have to disassemble and clean an airbrush BUT, as you stated, you're very much limited when it comes to color selection.

I still have my B-24 that I did with MM metalizer spray cans back when I was in college 20 years ago. It looks NOTHING like your B-24. Unlike mine, yours is good. LOL!

Eric

PS. Great looking cars you've got there. Which kits are those?

Edited by echolmberg

I hear ya. For me, it's a love/hate relationship with my airbrush for the exact same reasons you mentioned. Same goes with the rattle cans. I love the simplicity and the fact that I don't have to disassemble and clean an airbrush BUT, as you stated, you're very much limited when it comes to color selection.

I still have my B-24 that I did with MM metalizer spray cans back when I was in college 20 years ago. It looks NOTHING like your B-24. Unlike mine, yours is good. LOL!

Eric

PS. Great looking cars you've got there. Which kits are those?

The blue car is a Revell 1932 ford 5 window. The yellow car is a 1932 Revell Ford Rat Roadster. I kind of alternate between building cars and airplanes. Otherwise I get burned out and loose interest.

Well, actually, if you are going to castigate him for spreading fiction, you might want to re-read the quote you quoted. He said a number of LIBERATORS were left natural metal, which is absolutely factually correct. He never said a number of -D models were left natural metal, just that numerous Liberators were, and that was his inspiration...

I know our hobby has been losing participants for years because folks are finding other, more exciting things to do, but we are also losing folks and certainly not attracting new ones because of the nit-picking that nearly all online forums for our hobby turn into. Here is someone who built a gorgeous model, with an outstanding result in a style of finish that is very challenging to pull off, and he has been put down because he is supposedly spreading fiction because someone else put words into his mouth.

Johnny, GREAT job on your Liberator! Kudos to you.

Mike

My Grandfather was a waist gunner in a B-24H named Jenerator Joe, with the 484th BG 15th AAF and was credited with 50 missions in 1944. and all without a scratch. He was one of my family members who got me into scale modeling and when I got into airplanes in earnest he told me over and over that as the war went on, airplanes and particularly the "heavies" left the factory unpainted and ground crews would strip the paint from some planes in the field, as the pilots said they were faster without the paint. When it came time for me to build a model of his airplane, I spray painted it silver and even masked and painted the red "bow tie" on the tail designating the 484th. It stalled when it came time to paint the nose art and I don't remember what happened to it-likely fell off the ceiling-but it wasn't until the internet came along some 25 years later when I thought to do a look for his plane. And sure enough-b24bestweb has photos of Generator Joe (spelled with the G, but the nose art on his jacket and discussions with his navigator were spelled jenerator) and guess what? It was OD/NG.

Disinformation can go a looooooong way...

Ken

Lighten up guys. This guy gets back into the bobby and builds a good looking model and the rivet counters tear him up. Do you think he will post here ever again? I hope he does come back and posts a F7F-2N in the markings of a VNAF bird. Or a pink, purple and orange F-14. Has no one here done a "What-if"? He is enthusiastic and brings a breath of fresh air. He is not some joyless modeling Nazi saying there is only one way to do something. He has fun and builds something that looks good on his shelf. Do we really want to chase new guys away? We need to be more welcoming to those who do not share our appreciation of everything being 100% accurate(until new evidence comes out saying there is a new truth). To Johnny_K: Your B-24 looks good. Perhaps, the next time you build a model, post a series of pictures in the "in progress" sub-forum. Explain where you are at and what you plan to do next. Maybe you can take a little more pride in your models knowing that you painted the aft forward bulkhead in bronze green instead of green zinc chromate except for planes built after somewhere in the middle of the summer of 1944 when they should be neutral grey or natural metal finish, depending on where they were built. But let me show you a black and white picture showing you why I'm right and you are wrong. *Sigh*. I love this hobby. I love reading all the evidence about colors. I even love watching a good mud-slinging about interpretation of B/W photos vs published standards of colors. Do you want to open up a can of worms? Ask about the colors of Spitfires on Malta. A6M Zeros at Pearl Harbor. RAF P-40s. Anything VVS (Russian Air Force WWII). Late war Luftwaffe camouflage. Hang in there. We are mostly a bunch of old farts who have been doing this forever and we think we know everything. Ask and we will bend over backwards to do everything we can to help. Please don't give up on us.