Revell 1/48 B-24

Mike, Ken and Silver1,

I appreciate your support and your posts. And yes, I am an old fart. I built my first model in 1955. :o/> My uncle was a nice guy. He took me to the local hobby shop every Saturday. I got back into the hobby two years ago when I retired. I build airplanes and cars. It is a great hobby and I find it to be very satisfying. My skin has become thicker as the years went by. I just let D Bellis' post slide off of my shoulder. I am not sure what prompted his post, but we live in a free country and he has a right to express his opinions just as I, and you, do. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's positive remarks regarding the B-24. I have become a real Bare Metal junkie lately. Next up will be a F-86 and a F-104. This winter will be a Bare Metal Foil 1/48 B-29 and a 1/48 B-47 (vacuform) :woo:/> And yes, I really enjoy this forum. Great people with interesting models.

Johnny_K

Edited by Johnny_K

I am slowly working on my first NMF aircraft in almost 20 years :o ! I shy away from them for reasons well known to modelers the world over...they show virtually every flaw in construction. But I am big Century Series fan and there are only so many non-NMF Century Series AC a person can do before the lure of a colorful NMF bird comes along. But I figure I will see what I can do and I know it won't be perfect and that the learning curve is going to be gigantic. But...gotta start somewhere. Still not sure if I go Alclad or rattle cans or...

Have fun and cheers!

:cheers:

I am slowly working on my first NMF aircraft in almost 20 years :o/>/>/>/> ! I shy away from them for reasons well known to modelers the world over...they show virtually every flaw in construction. But I am big Century Series fan and there are only so many non-NMF Century Series AC a person can do before the lure of a colorful NMF bird comes along. But I figure I will see what I can do and I know it won't be perfect and that the learning curve is going to be gigantic. But...gotta start somewhere. Still not sure if I go Alclad or rattle cans or...

Have fun and cheers!

:cheers:/>/>/>/>

This is my first NMF plane. It was built last year using Testors' Metalizer rattle can paint. I do not have an airbrush, so Alclad is out of the question.

DSCN3961_zpsz4qybjvg.jpg

The problem is that I could not get the Metalizer paint to be shiny. It just looks like paint. This is my second attempt at NMF.

DSCN4003_zps8e7kpxds.jpg

DSCN4028_zpswgbfp0j5.jpg

It still looks like paint and not real metal. That's when I started using Bare Metal Foil;

DSCN4823_zpsspxjxl8n.jpg

Using BMF is not too difficult as long as you are not in a hurry. If you would like, I can post exactly how I apply BMF?

I know I'd love to see how you applied the BMF, I've had mixed success with it.

Charlie

I'm sure that you would be very successful using BMF.

I'll ask the administrator if he can add a "Tips and Tricks" forum under Aircraft Modeling Forums.

WAAAAY back in the early 70s, when I was a teenager, I followed the advice of Fine Scale Modeler and did the old Monogram 1/72 P-36 using "Rub-N-Buff" over a black base. I remember that I liked it, but jeez, that was 40+ years ago. How would it stand up today? Does anyone still use that stuff?

Edited by silver1

WAAAAY back in the early 70s, when I was a teenager, I followed the advice of Fine Scale Modeler and did the old Monogram 1/72 P-36 using "Rub-N-Buff" over a black base. I remember that I liked it, but jeez, that was 40+ years ago. How would it stand up today? Does anyone still use that stuff?

There has been a revival of this method last year with the AK True Metal paste (AGAMA had the patinators for years, but no marketing like AK/Mig guys), and this year we see the return of the metal rubbing powders (Uschi v. Rosten).

So we have come full circle.

Vedran

Dull (not flat) metallic paint does a pretty good job of replicating oxidized aluminum. The problem for me is the rather large grain size of the pigments. That's where Bare Metal or Alcoa shines, so to speak. Shiny alumnimum aircraft are brand new aircraft or Warbirds polished to a fare-thee-well for looks and easier upkeep.

CHECK OUT this guy's B-29 using Rub'n'Buff :woot.gif: Just amazing. It makes me want to cry. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944554-b29a-pacifique-1945-148-monogram/