Hobbyboss 1:48 su-27

:blink:/> Good Lord...! Wingtips DO point awfully up; you were darn right, P. Also, and this is something I thought I noticed on my unbuilt J-11 kit. Wings seem to be a tad warped at the middle of their span.

Thanks a lot, P.

Well kit also has smallish IRST and considering lerx lack subtle double curve it has as I call it 'plank wing' appearance....

Others wont mind but Flanker IS the best looking a/c for me and I will pass on HB hoping better kit will appear...

P

Well the Academy kit came out in 95 or 96 so that's twenty years between Su-27 releases in 48th.

So enjoy the wait.. :)

Thanks for the link to the photos I have ordered my three and it looks like they have tweaked the nose from the 72nd kit.

Looks much more Flankerish.

Sold.

Edited by dehowie

Well kit also has smallish IRST and considering lerx lack subtle double curve it has as I call it 'plank wing' appearance....

Couldn't care less about the smallish IRST, as it's a piece of cake to fix, but say; isn't the subtle "double curve" on the LERX that aspect which Ken Duffey pointed out to us all a while back, after the Zvezda 1/72nd Flanker kit was released?

Others wont mind but Flanker IS the best looking a/c for me and I will pass on HB hoping better kit will appear...

Yes, I'm with dehowie on what he said; perhaps we're all laid to rest by the time another manufacturer ventures on a new release of a quarter scale Flanker kit.

For now, the most bothering flaw that pisses me about the HB Flanker so far is those awful-looking wingtips pointing up like that. Can't take them!

The wingtip rails look to be separate parts:

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/adrianmunozm/media/Su-27%20Hobbyboss/2016-01-08%2016.02.44_zpssyl4op7g.jpg.html

So, isn't the fix as simple as removing the locating tab from the wing, and mounting the rail slightly downwards? A small pitch adjustment would bring the forward overhang downward without compromising the rail-wing attachment too badly. Or is it the "shape" of the rail that is wrong? I'm only wondering if the fix is merely a rigid body rotation or will require a shape adjustment.

I get that with a new kit you shouldn't have these mistakes etc. It doesn't seem to be a deal breaker, at least for me (though it might be for others).

Now, where is the UB?

Edited by Janissary

The wingtip rails look to be separate parts:

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/adrianmunozm/media/Su-27%20Hobbyboss/2016-01-08%2016.02.44_zpssyl4op7g.jpg.html

So, isn't the fix as simple as removing the locating tab from the wing, and mounting the rail slightly downwards? A small pitch adjustment would bring the forward overhang downward without compromising the rail-wing attachment too badly. Or is it the "shape" of the rail that is wrong? I'm only wondering if the fix is merely a rigid body rotation or will require a shape adjustment.

I get that with a new kit you shouldn't have these mistakes etc. It doesn't seem to be a deal breaker, at least for me (though it might be for others).

Now, where is the UB?

I think you've described the 'easy fix', which I will probably go for. I think people are, probably rightly, picking up on the lack of forward washout on the wingtip, ie. the actual wing frontal portion towards the wing tip dips down from the horizontal plane, which would make the pylon dip forward too. Not a major drama for me, just happy to have a better model than the Academy kit to work with.

Be looking to find a work around for the washout in that wing though!

I'm just glad they fixed the windscreen etc over the 32nd kit and the nose etc from 72nd which caught my eye as being slightly off.

Now what to do with my Academy kits and hopefully the resin pits will fit the HB kit?

I'm just glad they fixed the windscreen etc over the 32nd kit and the nose etc from 72nd which caught my eye as being slightly off.

Sorry if missing the obvious, but what was changed with the windscreen? Looks pretty much the same to me as on the 1/32 kit.

Edited by ijozic

Sorry if missing the obvious, but what was changed with the windscreen? Looks pretty much the same to me as on the 1/32 kit.

look a those two photos 1, 2 ...and look again at the BM link, you'll see how the windscreen is bulbous, rounded, with thick lower frame on the 1/32.

Edited by mingwin
look a those two photos 1, 2 ...and look again at the BM link, you'll see how the windscreen is bulbous, rounded, with thick lower frame on the 1/32.

I see what you mean; I was using this one as a reference for 1/32 where it doesn't look as bulbous, but I failed to notice that it looked OK because it used an aftermarket canopy :) :

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4301-4400/gal4375-Su-27-Chan/03.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4301-4400/gal4375-Su-27-Chan/00.shtm

Edited by ijozic

I have some questions:

- The Trumpeter 1/32 Flanker was originally plagued by a bulbous windshield/canopy and by narrow air intakes. Do the Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11 carry on these inaccuracies?

- Can you post some pics of the wingtip washout issue? Both of the kit and of the real aircraft?

Best,

I have some questions:

- The Trumpeter 1/32 Flanker was originally plagued by a bulbous windshield/canopy and by narrow air intakes. Do the Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11 carry on these inaccuracies?

- Can you post some pics of the wingtip washout issue? Both of the kit and of the real aircraft?

Best,

have you just not taking care to take a look a the previous posts? seems pretty clear. and for the latter, Google is your friend, and have answered the very same question for me yesterday.

it's as easy to see that as the fact HobbyBoss didn't provided any pilot for the pitwink.gif

I have some questions:

Best,

For you, academy is the better option. I strongly suggest you to buy Academy one.

I have some questions:

have you just not taking care to take a look a the previous posts? seems pretty clear. and for the latter, Google is your friend, and have answered the very same question for me yesterday.

it's as easy to see that as the fact HobbyBoss didn't provided any pilot for the pit

:blink: Chillax, Donald... :rolleyes:

Here, Galfa:

This is how the wingtip rails look like on the Hobby Boss kit (notice how the rails point up in relation to both the wingtips and radome).

DSC_0183_zpsv5cih6ch.jpg

This is how the wingtips look like on the real thing, courtesy of Mr Ken Duffey, looking from the side (notice how the rails have a downward angle which match the angle of the radome).

su-27%20wingtip%20washout.jpg

Edit: By looking at the picture, I'm of the idea - I hope - that the wings on the kit have got some sort of warpage on them. I'll check my kit tonight and see whether I'm right about it or not.

Edited by The Scaremonger

you Scaremonger really have no clue of what is going on here on this forum? you don't know members, have no idea of the "historical" behind some members, nor what they have written in the past...

Galfa got the answer he deserve. not that harsh. his answers where clearly written in the 5 or 6 previous posts. that's pure laziness!

hope you also asked that guy over britmodeler to hotlink his photos...unless is it yours?

Edited by mingwin

you Scaremonger really have no clue of what is going on here on this forum? you don't know members, have no idea of the "historical" behind some members, nor what they have written in the past...

Galfa got the answer he deserve. not that harsh. his answers where clearly written in the 5 or 6 previous posts. that's pure laziness!

hope you also asked that guy over britmodeler to hotlink his photos...unless is it yours?

Dear Mingwin,

I read carefully all this thread before posting my questions.

I was asking for additional help because the windshield/canopy/air intakes issues, regarding the new Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11/Su-27 kits were, nevertheless, quite unclear to me.

However, my apologies, I did not meant to bother.

Galfa

:blink:/> Chillax, Donald... :rolleyes:/>

Here, Galfa:

This is how the wingtip rails look like on the Hobby Boss kit (notice how the rails point up in relation to both the wingtips and radome).

DSC_0183_zpsv5cih6ch.jpg

This is how the wingtips look like on the real thing, courtesy of Mr Ken Duffey, looking from the side (notice how the rails have a downward angle which match the angle of the radome).

su-27%20wingtip%20washout.jpg

Edit: By looking at the picture, I'm of the idea - I hope - that the wings on the kit have got some sort of warpage on them. I'll check my kit tonight and see whether I'm right about it or not.

Hey Scaremonger,

Thank you so much !

I was asking for additional help because the windshield/canopy/air intakes issues, regarding the new Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11/Su-27 kits were, nevertheless, quite unclear to me.

However, my apologies, I did not meant to bother.

No need for apologies, as a question oughtn't ever bother any fellow modeller on any modelling forum.

Inasmuch as your windshield/canopy enquire regarding the Hobby Boss J-11/Su-27 kit, fortunately it's not the bulbous one. What was it about the air intakes on the kit that you want to learn about, again? Didn't catch up on that.

Yesterday night I was going about my J-11 example, and I found out that, at least the starboard wing tip, did have the proper washout. Somehow the port wing was completely horizontal. Dunno whether this issue were due to the way both fuselage halves are packed up and afixed over a cardboard tray inside the box, but once the fuselage halves are free of the binding, it's as tho the wings (the starboard one, at least) would recover their regular form.

Can anybody confirm if this is the case or just an expression of desire on my part?

Hey Scaremonger,

Thank you so much !

Anytime, matey. You're quite welcome. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...