Tamiya 1/72 P-51D Mustang in AURI colors

First time joining a GB on ARC. :)

My Tamiya 1/72 P-51D will be wearing the colors of AURI (Angkatan Udara Republik Indonesia aka Indonesian Air Force) from the late 1950s. Markings will be of F-338 piloted by Ignatius Derwanto who shot down a CIA B-26 over Ambon, Indonesia. Decals are from a local decal designer here in Indonesia.

Only one minor detail needs to be scratchbuilt for this one, all else will be out of the box. Details are quite nice for the scale which unfortunately can't quite be seen anymore once everything is closed up. Interior was painted, given a dark gray wash and drybrushed with silver. Seatbelt straps is a decal.

160711-p51-13.jpg

160711-p51-15.jpg

160711-p51-27.jpg

Closed this up in no time and the fit between the wing and the fuselage is very good.

160712-p51-04.jpg

I hope to finish this by 17 August which is Indonesia's Independence Day.

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm a slow builder. Anyway after a few rounds of seam fixing, painting is next.

First up, Vallejo Black Gloss Primer as a base

160724-p51d-02.jpg

Then Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium. These are really easy to airbrush slightly thinned. Dries fast and is quite tough.

160725-p51d-03.jpg

I decided to add some variations in color so it's onto masking after giving the base metal color 24 hours to cure.

160728-p51d-08.jpg

1.5 hrs of masking for 5 minutes of work with Vallejo Metal Color Dull Aluminium. I can't say it's accurate to do this sort of variation, but I think it adds some interest.

160728-p51d-09.jpg

This particular P-51 requires some painting on the nose. That's next.

Edited by jesTer

AURI (Indonesian Air Force) flew P-51s in the late 1950s. This Mustang will be in F-338’s markings, which is one of the few AURI aircraft to score an air-to-air victory: it shot down a B-26 piloted by a CIA agent during the Permesta rebellion.

The nose was masked and sprayed and the prop was painted separately. The nosecone is Game Color Bloody Red and the props are Model Air Black Grey with Game Color Sunburst Yellow over a base of Game Color Dead White. The completed nose is attached to the fuselage with a polycap. This particular Mustang had a unique bent antenna on the spine which I scratchbuilt with 0.5mm placard.

The decals are from a local decal maker Cap Jempol Metal (literally meaning ‘metal fingerprint’). The instructions includes details of the bent antenna and stencils for the pattern on the nose which I transferred onto masking tape. The black pattern is Model Air Black Grey. Lastly, the tail rudder was also painted Game Color Dead White to prepare for the markings.

160731-p51d-04.jpg

Edited by jesTer

Work on decals begin as I was bogged down with another case of the gloss coat messing up with the finish. I had to strip and redo a few panels on the port side of the fuselage. In any case, it means I’ll have to avoid showing that side. The patching isn’t that great.

The AURI Mustang has a sharkmouth that has a unique Balinese flair to it. The colored decals all come as a 2 layer affair so some aligning needs to be done. Otherwise though, they prove to be easy to use even with my clumsy hands. They can take some handling and react well to Mark Softer.

160806-p51-02.jpg

I still managed to tear some of the decals due to the shape of the nose so I’ll have to go back to touch-up with paint once everything cures.