Fifty Five Inches O' Fun From Trumpeter!

If it was a 1/48 scale Gato, I would buy two. Type VII, no thanks. How about someone gives us a 1/72 Los Angeles or Virginia? Or a 1/350 Virginia that is not a dog? Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer. Glad someone is doing it and maybe it will lead to others.

Dave

If it was a 1/48 scale Gato, I would buy two. Type VII, no thanks. How about someone gives us a 1/72 Los Angeles or Virginia? Or a 1/350 Virginia that is not a dog? Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer. Glad someone is doing it and maybe it will lead to others.

Dave

Here's my 1/75th scale USS Virginia class submarine that I 3d printed. I still have a lot of work on it to go. Eventually, I want to turn it into a RC model.

IMG_20160701_134533369_zpsobfxfiaq.jpg

Edited by adrake83

Here's my 1/75th scale USS Virginia class submarine that I 3d printed. I still have a lot of work on it to go. Eventually, I want to turn it into a RC model.

Can't think of anything to say except 'STRUTH!!!

I can't believe this will be the only venture into mega-subs from Trumpy; it will be interesting to see what else comes down the mountain. This kind of thing could prompt a major change of direction for some of us. :rolleyes:

IMG_20160701_134533369_zpsobfxfiaq.jpg

Awesome. What did you use for plans?

Dave

I found the CAD files on Thingiverse. There's not much detail to the files (they're designed for 3d printing) and the pump jet is inaccurate which I'll fix after the sections are glued together and the surface smoothed out.

I found the CAD files on Thingiverse. There's not much detail to the files (they're designed for 3d printing) and the pump jet is inaccurate which I'll fix after the sections are glued together and the surface smoothed out.

Took a look at it on thingiverse. It looks pretty decent. The WAA panels just need to be faired in. It has been a bit since I have been in the drydock with a VIRGINIA, but the propulsor did not scream awful to me. Have to take a look at some pics. Just nice to see a VIRGINIA that is MIP'd instead of the unMIP'd version in the Hobbyboss kit. Who printed for you?

Cheers,

Dave

I have a Rostock Max V2 3d printer. I just enlarged the scale to the max size my printer could accommodate.

The propulsor has five support fins to hold the bell in place and that's it. There is no propeller inside.

I have a Rostock Max V2 3d printer. I just enlarged the scale to the max size my printer could accommodate.

The propulsor has five support fins to hold the bell in place and that's it. There is no propeller inside.

I see, that'll take a bit of work in 1/75. The real question is what would it take for you to pop me one in 1/350?

Cheers,

Dave

Over on modelwarships they are saying it has a full interior...

And a clear plastic Starboard hull side so you can see all that stuff. Used to love things like that when I was a spotty kid...and still do now I'm a spotty adult!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/12/2016 at 10:19 PM, parche said:

Dave

The Type VIIC is the most iconic submarine in history, so as much as I love the Gato, it, nor any other sub, is a more worthy submarine modeling subject than a Type VIIC. 

1 hour ago, DutyCat said:

The Type VIIC is the most iconic submarine in history, so as much as I love the Gato, it, nor any other sub, is a more worthy submarine modeling subject than a Type VIIC. 

To each their own. Not sure I agree with most iconic, but I can certainly see the reason for putting it out first. 

Cheers, 

Dave

I say this because the battle with U-Boats essentially defined the Battle of the Atlantic, which was vital to our staging for the invasion of Europe.  My understanding is although the American fleet boats accelerated Japan's defeat, the Pacific War was primarily won with air power.  The Japanese under-utlized their subs.