First of all, thank you for all of the fine work in the 1/72 area.

I noticed that once you had scheduled a couple of F-100 sheets scaled down from your 1/48 offerings. Apparently those sheets never reached production. The market is flush with F-100 decals in colorful schemes but rather lacking with Vietnam era Air Guard birds such as Connecticut. Any chance of you revisiting that idea?

We will get there - I originally wanted to wait until I did the second Vietnam F-100 sheet in 1/48, so I could scale the two 1/48 Vietnam F-100 sheets down and combine them into a single 1/72 sheet. Now I think I should just come up with a combination of some ANG schemes I did for CD48002 and the Vietnam sheet. It will happen sometime in the next few months, but I don't know when. I already have a bunch of 1/72 projects that I have to deliver before the end of the year.

But it is coming. In the meantime, you can buy the shiny new 1/72 sheets coming in the next batch, such as the second F-106 sheet and the ANG F-4C/D sheet ;-)

Edited by KursadA

What's the consensus on the best 1/72 F-100C/D/F in the market? So that I can get ready for Kursad's decals? I've heard the Trumpeter ones are wrong (?)

The Trumpeter kits for the single-seaters are not that bad if you can live with the misshapen intake. The twin-seat F-100F has some interesting dimension/canopy length issues. At least they have the wing slats and a positionable canopy, which the Esci kit (and the Italeri kit that was clearly based on it) lacked.

But the old Esci kit is still the best kit out of the box. It was so ahead of its time when it was released in the 1980s, that I always suspected it was designed and produced by time travelers.

Edited by KursadA

I agree with Kursad on the Trumpeter kits. The C kit was a disappointment, too. The wing is correct, but the fin is too tall and misshapen. You would be better off investing in the Esci D kit (or the Italeri) and the Obscureco conversion set:

http://obscureco.com/product_pages/OBS72012/OBS72012.html

They also make the D/F wing with separate slats.

Thanks for the tips, gents. I looked through my stash and realised I do have the Tamiya reboxed version of the Italeri F-100D:

http://hlj.com/product/TAM60760/Air

And since it was based on the ESCI kit, it looks great!

Rummaging through the stash, I found I have the AMT F-100F as well. Doing a bit of interwebbing, I found that Kursad is right about the canopy issue. There's a chap in Britmodeler who posted the differences between the Trumpeter F-100F & the AMT/Italeri one. Trumpeter's canopy is so long , you'd think it was a THREE-seater. To be avoided.

I don't want to get too far afield, but on the Italeri (and Tamiya-boxed Italeri), they copied one error from the Esci and added another error. Both kits have the drag chute cable cover tabs engraved on both sides of the rear fuselage ahead of the afterburner; they should be on the left side only. The tabs are that vertical row of tiny squares. Just fill and sand them smooth on the right side. The added error is a mid-length transverse brace in the canopy. It isn't there on the single-seat canopy, so you should sand and polish that away. No fun, but it looks silly if you leave it there.

I don't want to get too far afield, but on the Italeri (and Tamiya-boxed Italeri), they copied one error from the Esci and added another error. Both kits have the drag chute cable cover tabs engraved on both sides of the rear fuselage ahead of the afterburner; they should be on the left side only. The tabs are that vertical row of tiny squares. Just fill and sand them smooth on the right side. The added error is a mid-length transverse brace in the canopy. It isn't there on the single-seat canopy, so you should sand and polish that away. No fun, but it looks silly if you leave it there.

I'm aware of the extra canopy frame but I didn't know about the tabs. Any chance of visual cues? I'm having a hard time visualizing the drag chute cover tabs. Are you referring to the squarish panel lines below the vertical tail and just in front of the afterburner shown here:

http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason3/f-100_tb/images/f-100_tb_25_of_28.jpg

but are not present here:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-100d_55-3754/images/f-100d_55-3754_19_of_34.jpg

Images taken from here:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason3/f-100_tb/index.php?Page=2

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-100d_55-3754/

Is it only a 'D' specific thing or is it also present in the C and F?

Edited by JackMan

Yes, you have it. They are simple pieces of metal attached at the forward end only. The drag chute is stored beneath the afterburner and when released, it pulls the chord out of a channel underneath those little tabs up to the chord's anchor point at the base of the fin. Since there is only one chord, there are no channel or tabs on the right side of the airplane. This goes for all the C, D, and Fs.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the consensus on the best 1/72 F-100C/D/F in the market? So that I can get ready for Kursad's decals? I've heard the Trumpeter ones are wrong (?)

it seems to me that most decal sheets for Vietnam aircraft are in camo, but there were also NMF aircraft. Just next to impossible to find. That's where I'd start.

gary