RCAF CC-137 Refueling Pod Info

One of the projects sitting in the queue is to convert Minicrafts 1/144 E-3/E-8 kit into a RCAF CC-137. I have decals but I've come up short on obtaining information on the refueling pods hung under the wing tips. Is there a good diagram showing shape and dimensions that would allow me to scratch a pair in 1/144? If I understand they were manufactured by Beech.

Don...When I did the master for the pods in the Leading Edge 1/72 decal set there was very little info available (almost pre-internet days) and I worked from lots of pictures from airshows and such comparing same to the 1/72 Heller 707 kit wing and trying to get the proportions right. I cut up an extra fuel tank from somewhere, scratch built the arm in the retracted position and the nose "rotor" and borrowed a retracted basket from a Fujimi A6 buddy pod. Dave Koss reworked it a bit to strengthen for making the mold and we were quite happy with what he got. I recall that only after it was done did we actually find some real info on measurements but recall that what we got was almost dead on in 1/72 scale. I've moved recently and much is still packed away but the Heller 707 kit is fairly easy to get to due to its size and I believe my copies of the tanks are in the kit box. I will pull them out and give you the measurements when I get a chance but can't help further as I can't recall were we got the actual measurements other than it was in a book or magazine, not on line. They may be on line somewhere now but I've never searched as I was happy with what was produced in 1/72. Yes they were made by Beech and I believe they were also used by the Israelis at one time too so there may be info with a search in that regard. Basically you just need to make it half as big :whistle:/>/> ...Will get back to you on this....

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN

Bruce, that would be fantastic to get dimensions even in 1/72. Just have to scale down by half and I'm good.

Bill, I've been using both of those builds you referred as my inspiration. I love that early look with the lightning bolt insignia down the sides. I picked the complete set of CC-137 decals from CanMilAir and can't wait to get started.

Don salute.gif/>

Edited by Drifterdon

One of the projects sitting in the queue is to convert Minicrafts 1/144 E-3/E-8 kit into a RCAF CC-137. I have decals but I've come up short on obtaining information on the refueling pods hung under the wing tips. Is there a good diagram showing shape and dimensions that would allow me to scratch a pair in 1/144? If I understand they were manufactured by Beech.

Many years ago I took photos of the Beech 1080 pod at the RCAF Museum, 8 Wing, CFB Trenton. They use to be in the Walkaround section here but I don't see them now. If you want to PM me with your email addy I'll send you what I have.

Cheers,

Tom

Don Take Tom up on his offer as all the photos I took for the project (while in my basement somewhere) certainly aren't digital. I will pull out the 707 kit tomorrow afternoon...

Cheers

Bruce

Don......Sorry to be late here but didn't have access to a computer yesterday. The 1/72 pods are physically 3 and 2/16 ths of an inch long (from front tip to end of basket) and if I use my 1/72 scale ruler that works out to about 18.5 feet long in real life. The diameter (at widest) is about 3/8 ths of an inch or 2 ft 3 inches in real life using the 72nd ruler again. The mounting pylon is about 1 and 5/8 ths inches long at the tank (about 9 feet in real size and about 8 feet 3 inches where it fits on the wing due to the greater angle of slope at the front of the pylon than the rear. I guess in 1/144 the overall length would be about 1 and 9/16 ths of an inch long. HTH

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. I notice the Leading Edge Decals are copyright 1993, so it was quite a while ago......

• 3 months later...

Don, How's your 1/144 RAAF 707-338C & CAF CC-137C tanker projects coming along?  RAAF pods are Sergeant Fletcher, so I think you should be able to rob a set from either the Airfix 1/144 VC10 tanker kit, or from the new Roden VC-10 tanker.  CAF CC-137s used Beech IFR pods, which I do not know a source in 1/144.   I do have a 1/72 Leading Edge set and am willing to copy the directions and take some photos of the pods for you. Interested? R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 years later...

Brother Don,

I am going to resurrect this thread for a minute.  There is still no source for the Beech 1080 IFR pods in 1/144 scale.  You would think some enterprising individual would craft some for 3D printing.  One can only hope.  I have the JBot 1/144 CC-137 decals which I ordered after the demise of CanMilAir.  I may shape and scribe some sprue and plasticard to resemble a set of Beech 1080 pods, but I haven't started yet and probably won't as i have several other bench queens to complete and the year is half over. 

The RAAF Sergeant Fletcher pods are available in the Hawkeye Models 1/144 707-338C RAAF tanker set AAF-019.  

R/ Dutch

On 7/12/2016 at 8:00 PM, Bill-TGH said:

Huh, I still have that model. In fact I am building it again in 1/72 and 1/144 right now for a customer. Both using new decals tne customer supplied from England.

Edited by phantom

Since someone raised the topic from the dead, I thought I could point out that Air-Graphics in England make a 1/72 set now if anyone needs some:

https://air-graphics.co.uk/shop?olsPage=products%2Fac-153-beechcraft-refuelling-pods-for-cc-137&page=7

Don't have them so can't comment but his stuff that I do have is nice...

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:30 PM, phantom said:

Huh, I still have that model. In fact I am building it again in 1/72 and 1/144 right now for a customer. Both using new decals tne customer supplied from England.

Shawn, your latest post of your completed 1/72 & 1/144 CC-137s is amazing. You have my utmost respect.  I can see why people ask you to build for them. Cheers! Dutch