Difference between USAF F-4E to JASDF F-4EJ

The original F-4EJ was a standard F-4E with unslatted wings and no ARF receptacle neither Sparrows only some radio antennas were different.

Later the receptacle was added as well the sparrow.

With the KAIZO mid life upgrade (KAI) more antennas were added on the tip of the tail and on the tip of the wings.

IIRC, the three-set blisters on either side of the cockpit (where the air scoops are) are specific to EJ. For a US Phantom, they need removed if I am not mistaken.

i remember removing them on my (hasegawa 1/48) Thunderbird F-4E.

i remember removing them on my (hasegawa 1/48) Thunderbird F-4E.

The antenna on nose I thought I heard they were for the F-4G Wild Weasel? Yes the Japanese EJ was the only way to do a pre slat wing Viet Nam bird from Hasegawa.Till the Pro Modeler release came out.

"Double RWR receiver antennas on tail

Radome has strengthening strips"

the two above were added with Kai upgrade. Early Hasegawa kits were EJ, newer one are modified into EJ-KAI.

Sorry, thought he was asking about the Kai. My mistake in reading too fast.

-Jeff

The Phanton Guide for the Masses archived in the jets area covers some of the high spots regarding F-4EJs, EJ Kais and RF-4E/EJ models.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=148643

If we are talking 1/48 Hasegawa, the 1/48 F-4EJ kits can be built into a hard winged Nam bird with no problems because you should have all the parts on the trees for that. I don't know if there are any differences in the contents of an EJ Kai kit (doubtful except for what is already on the parts trees).

Edited by Jay Chladek