Tamiya 1/48th P-47D Razorback

It has been a long time posting a finished model here. For the past few years, I've been flying radio controlled airplanes, but a recent trip to the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport in Farmingdale New York inspired me to build smaller scale models again.

This is my latest effort: Tamiya's 1/48th P-47D Razorback. What a beautiful kit! The fit was awesome and the detail was amazing. I can't report any problems with building this plane, other than the decals were a little thick, and several of the stencils silvered, despite (what I thought was) a gloss coat before application. If I were to build another one, I'll probably use aftermarket decals. I added Eduard photoetch details to the cockpit, their engine wiring harness, and brake lines for the main gear.

Paint is Model Master enamels in Olive Drab and Neutral Gray. Post shading was done with lightened shades of the bases color. After applying the decals, I sprayed another gloss coat of Alclad II Aqua Gloss Clear and applied a sludge wash of artist oils. All of that was sealed with a coat of Alclad II Krystal Klear Flat, which sprayed very well, dried fast, and produced a really nice level flat. I added some stains with Sakura India Ink Artist pens, and some paint chips with a watercolor silver pencil.

My models were always "4 Footers"... they looked good from four feet away. With this model, I might have gotten that mark to under two feet! Its better than my last model, and I'll make sure that my next one is better than this.

1af59a06-0a59-4266-a8a7-7992d609eff8_zpsyb0hy2q7.jpg

6a6b41f0-b3bc-42ee-b75a-3e7ee7765fd4_zpsfgu51k3d.jpg

cd5bbf9a-2401-424a-8d2b-b61bae75b2a3_zpsfe7yvysq.jpg

image_zpsh36tbeel.jpeg

image_zps8tk7c1mz.jpeg

image_zpss6jteivp.jpeg

image_zps3oaplwzp.jpeg

image_zpshtiasuob.jpeg

image_zps6tcxxt5r.jpeg

image_zpsakqbip9s.jpeg