Are these accurate drawings? Are these the ones they use?

Can't speak of the whole drawing but I tried once to scratch build a Su-34 in 1/48 (way before Hobby Boss or Kitty Hawk announced one) and used the frames of this drawing as a basis for the forward fuselage. Later I found the following picture (which seem to come from official Sukhoi drawings) and compared it with Station 4 of the drawing. Guess what, they didn't match.

That's no proof but from then on I got cautious regarding the accuracy of said drawing. Personally I don't have high hopes that the Kitty Hawk one will be more accurate as I would guess they use the same drawing as a reference.

Well, they have one of the best 1/48 models, if not the best, out there in the form of Su-33.

Kittyhawk or Kinetic? :rolleyes:

Cant wait to see more of this Fullback though...

Well, they have one of the best 1/48 models, if not the best, out there in the form of Su-33.

1; KH didnt make a Su-33.

2; Neither did Kinetic. Not really.

Can you write a little bit more? If you think they used this drawing as reference, what is off compared to early and later production variants?

I think they may have made up their own drawings. You can find the top/bottom view of this drawing here: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su34-2.html

Among other things, canopy and nose on the plastic should both be more elliptical rather than race-track shaped when viewed from top.

Early and late variants have the same basic shape. Just some smaller details are different.

:cheers:

Looking at that photo the racetrack shape is the shape of the cockpit opening. It looks like the entire clear part will drop in like thecTamiya F-14 so we won't know it's shape until you see the final part.

Ie the canopy/windshield does not fit in the hole if you look closely it has a cut out at the forward panel line for the insert.

Very smart though molding it as a drop in eliminating the canopy to fuse fairing issue.

There Mig-31 doesn't look to bad so fingers crossed the final form is ok.

Looking at that photo the racetrack shape is the shape of the cockpit opening. It looks like the entire clear part will drop in like thecTamiya F-14 so we won't know it's shape until you see the final part.

Ie the canopy/windshield does not fit in the hole if you look closely it has a cut out at the forward panel line for the insert.

http://www.filscalemodels.ph/testshots/2016testshots/48thsu34/48thsu34.html

If you scroll down about 3/4 page there is a nice pic of the canopy that clearly shows the race-track shape of the glass.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear that. I was hoping for HB J-11B price range for the Su-34, perhaps naïvely. Now I guess I am just hoping for under $100. I could swing that.

You can easily do some math. The HB J-11 / Su-27 goes for $50 in China / HK stores, whereas in Hobbysearch sells for 9350 yen, which is roughly $93. While the Su-34 they have it listed at 16500. Putting aside the fluctuating exchange rates and just roughly guesstimating the same increase in price, the Su-34 might be in the $88-90 ballpark?