1/48 Italeri F-14A Persian Tomcat *in-flight*

Hello all!

Back again with my 11th completed model, the 1/48 Italeri F-14A Tomcat in the IRIAF Asia-Minor scheme. This is the 2nd Italeri F-14 I have built so I was able to do a little better job with it than my last one, which was my first completed build. The Italeri F-14 gets a lot of bad pub, but I like it since it is a rather easy build and it's shape inaccuracies don't bother me so much.

I decided to build an IRIAF F-14A in the early camo scheme and used Hi-Decal Line decals, which were very nice to use. Other than the decals, the build was OOB (the pitot came from a Hasegawa Tomcat kit though). I did remove some ECM bumps that were molded on to make it more accurate, however I did not do anything with the refueling probe door, since it was not on the Iranian Cats. So that is the most glaring inaccuracy. I am sure there are some others. Overall I am quite happy with the build. I used my new Iwata HP-CS on this build for the first time and I am quite pleased with it. It is light years better than my Talon, which has been giving my trouble of late. The camo turned out really nice, even if the wash was a little heavy. I made the mistake of not getting the underside light gray glossy enough (the lifecolor paint used there is VERY flat), so I had some real trouble removing much of the wash. It looks cool though ( I think), if a bit overdone compared to the real deal.

I used Gunze Aqueous H27 Tan and H37 Brown, as well as Lifecolor FS36622 Light Gray and FS34079 Dk Green. Metallics used were Alclad Aluminum Jet exhaust and Burnt Iron, as well as some hot metal blue in strategic locations to give it that heat stressed look. Clear coats used were Future for gloss for the decals and Future+Tamiya Flat base (5:1 ratio) for the final flat coat.

b]Kit:[/b] 1/48 Italeri F-14A Tomcat

Decals: Hi-Decal Line F-14A (48-021)

Aftermarket: None

Paints: Tamiya Liquid Primer (white), Gunze Aqueous H27 FS20400 Tan Special, H37 FS30140 Brown Special, H12 Black, Lifecolor FS36622 Camouflage Gray, and FS34079 Dk Army Green, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Aluminum, Jet Exhaust, Hot Metal Blue, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 5:1 ratio for final matte coat.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the pics!

269291-16625-39.jpg

269276-16625-82.jpg

269277-16625-41.jpg

269278-16625-65.jpg

269279-16625-37.jpg

269280-16625-57.jpg

269281-16625-49.jpg

269282-16625-38.jpg

269283-16625-37.jpg

269284-16625-43.jpg

mmmm, interesting colors. The plane is very beautiful, especially in flight! :)/>

Thanks Bud! I always found the Asia-Minor scheme to be quite striking, so I was excited to try it out on this build. I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

REALLY good looking buggy ya got there... :woot.gif:/>

Thanks CD, I appreciate the kind words!

Holy! That camo really breaks up the lines of the dodgy Italeri shape and makes it look good. Your camo job is SUPERB! Lovely stuff.

It really does. Thanks Tom for the compliments on my camo work. This was my first attempt at using my new Iwata HP-CS, and I must say I like it much more than my old Talon.

Nice work, that looks really good.

Thanks Parabat! I am very happy with it.

Superb Tomcat! :thumbsup:/>

Thank you sir!

Simply Stunning!

Thanks Kelly! How have you been bud?

I like it! Very cool camo and a neat display. Bravo!

Thank you very much! I am very happy with how the camo turned out, although in some of the pics the Brown almost looks orange. Odd.

Awesome work.I like the colors a lot.And the finish is great.

Thanks Dragan! I appreciate the kind words and thanks for stopping by!

Wow! That's quite a head-turner ....

HeadTurner_zps89b00f9e.gif

Haha, I see what you did there! LOL Well played.

Thanks for the compliment!!!

Thanks Kelly! How have you been bud?

Thank you very much! I am very happy with how the camo turned out, although in some of the pics the Brown almost looks orange. Odd.

Thanks Dragan! I appreciate the kind words and thanks for stopping by!

Haha, I see what you did there! LOL Well played.

Thanks for the compliment!!!

Things are good my way, how about you?

I do have one question about this build, and could be very wrong. I thought the Iran F-14s had the IFR probe door removed?

Things are good my way, how about you?

I do have one question about this build, and could be very wrong. I thought the Iran F-14s had the IFR probe door removed?

Good to hear, and I have been great myself!

You are correct about the refueling door, and in fact I mention this in my original post. I really have not done any scratchbuilding yet, and since I have built mostly OOB so far, I just left it as is. If this was the Hobby Boss kit I would have most likely done it correctly, but since this is the basic Italeri kit I left it as is.

Excellent job with the Persian F-14A.

Thank you!

NICE!!! I really like the inflight pose as well as the scheme applied!

Thanks Brandon! I really like building in-flight models, more than half of my builds so far have been that way.

Brandon

I really like the painting and finnish of the model. Great work.

I appreciate the compliments Falcon, your work is one of my inspirations, so I really take what you say to heart.

Nice work!! Really like your presentation. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Thanks Rod! I appreciate you taking the time to compliment my build.

Great kitty :)/>

Thanks Aigore, it means a lot to me to hear that from you. Your work is simply amazing!