I have no idea myself but it certainly looks like its him, and its in his region of interest. Regardless thanks for the link as it made for interesting reading :thumbsup: .

:cheers:

But F-35s are so obviously horrible and inferior to the F-16s they use now

I think we can all agree that the F-16 is superior to the F-35, right TT (wink-wink)? That being said, everyone thought it was a grand idea to sell Tomcats to the Shah of Iran. Didn't really pan out so well, did it?

I think we can all agree that the F-16 is superior to the F-35, right TT (wink-wink)? That being said, everyone thought it was a grand idea to sell Tomcats to the Shah of Iran. Didn't really pan out so well, did it?

What "panned out" from that exactly?

Well, if it wasn't for the Bank of Tehran extending a line of credit to Grumman when they were DARN close to going bankrupt while building aircraft for the Navy and not getting paid on time by the DoD (plus having to eat certain development costs), we might now have as many Tomcats in operation. So that Iranian contract helped to keep Grumman afloat for many more years.

As for the Tomcats the IIAF got, they were a good asset as overflights of MiG-25Rs from the USSR dropped to virtually nothing when the F-14s were deployed. If the revolution hadn't happened when it did, Iran still would have been a most vital ally for the next decade of the cold war.

Even when Iran deposed the Shah, they didn't give up their F-14s to the Soviets (Soviets I think got one jet from a defection) and the Iran Iraq war also didn't exactly make Iran friends with the Soviets either given their neighbor to the East was shipping weaponry to their neighbor in the west to support combat operations. If Tom Cooper's research is correct (and it seems to be), those Iranian Tomcats were not pushovers in air combat at all.

Things are going pretty normal, and we are enjoying the vacation. Clearly they have not gotten the "Islamic Republic" memo at my location here, because I am seeing a lot of bikinis and G-strings. Politically there are certainly some interesting things going on, but I have quite honestly tuned them out completely. I learned some amazing details of the military aspects of the coup attempt, and will share them when I get there in early August.