Best 1/48th F-15C

My first airbrushed model was a monogram 1/48 F-15C. It must've been 1997, when I was 12. Probably my 5th or 6th model. For what it was worth, I remember it being an enjoyable build. It's accurate enough for some who's only seen the F-15 in pictures and played one in Jane's Fighters Anthology on a pentium 166. Hell, It even has a pilot. I would "dogfight" in my living room with it, flying it with one hand and releasing unglued sidewinders and sparrows with the other. Yeah we've all had that phase, at least I hope I'm not the only one.

My first airbrushed model was a monogram 1/48 F-15C. It must've been 1997, when I was 12. Probably my 5th or 6th model. For what it was worth, I remember it being an enjoyable build. It's accurate enough for some who's only seen the F-15 in pictures and played one in Jane's Fighters Anthology on a pentium 166. Hell, It even has a pilot. I would "dogfight" in my living room with it, flying it with one hand and releasing unglued sidewinders and sparrows with the other. Yeah we've all had that phase, at least I hope I'm not the only one.

Im not sure where I read it on here, but several people have stated that the Monogram kit has the most accurate lines.

A pilot means having the "in-flight" option. I love it, and I guess I am not the only one given that most important kit manufacturer (like Tamiya, Hasegawa e Monogram) are giving that option...

I certainly don't yawn at the others. Hasegawas is a nice build. But he asked for the best, and of course he's going to get opinions. GWH is, in my opinion, the best 1:48 scale kit. Now define best? Fit? Shape? Detail? Accuracy? Price? Availability? He wasn't specific. Hasegawa is a great kit. GWB is "best".

This is an informative thread (thanks to the OP). I don't have a 1/48 F-15 in my stash as I am/was more of a 1/72 builder (a few Eagles built in that scale over the years). But I find lately that 1/48 is a little easier on the old eyes to work with. To be honest I wasn't really aware of what was out there kit wise for 1/48 F-15C's. I knew about the Revell F-15E as being supposedly a nice kit but nothing about the 'C'. So I will have a look at a GWH Eagle as it seems to be getting the majority of the :thumbsup: 's here.

Thanks all.

:cheers:

I have the Hasegawa and the GWH F-15C kits. You can't go wrong with either one. The Hasegawa is still a nice kit but the GWH has better detail with slightly deeper recessed panel lines which for me makes it easier for detailing using washes. I built my Hasegawa Eagle as a Missouri ANG bird and my GWH as an AD Air Force Eagle. I usually build two of each aircraft model I do, one with gear down and the second one in flight, so I have a stash of resin 1/48 PJ Productions modern seated pilots. The GWH kit not having a pilot is a non issue for me, and I used the PJ Prod. pilot instead of the kit pilot for the Hasegawa build.

Is 93 bucks about the average for that Kit?

I spent $70 on my GWH C, $60 on my I, and the National Guard is 40ish....

I haven't paid more than $25.00 for my Hasegawa kits.

Curt

Did GWH fix the anemic air intakes on any of their kits??

M

I don't think so. But it is rather well hidden after the build is complete.

I didn't follow the F-15 thread of GWH. Can you elaborate on the issue with the intakes?

gwh_4815_parts5.jpg

Mark

Well, at the risk of being banned by the masses, it looks ok to me. That picture doesn't help much, but only because I don't know what the real intake looks like when broken down like that. What's too skinny? The opening? The trunking?

:jaw-dropping:/> How can I get in that club? The last time I paid $25.00 for a 1/48 Hasegawa jet was for an A-4.......maybe.

Shows, here, eBay. I paid $40 for both the Israeli and the one version with the asat but most the Hase C's and E's were in the 20-25 range.

I'm that guy that never gets a good deal on anything.

I have paid less than list, but I always pay for it in the end.

I seem to be surrounded by people that get "Great Deals", or a trade,

or where little or no money exchange hands.

I am just not that guy.

I always figure people like me balance the scales so people that get the great deals

cans still get them.

Like if I get a extra fry at the drive through, next time my Coke won't have any syrup in it.

Etc. etc....

I am just not that guy.

I always figure people like me balance the scales so people that get the great deals

cans still get them.

Like if I get a extra fry at the drive through, next time my Coke won't have any syrup in it.

Etc. etc....

Funny :lol: ! Not for you I understand...but how you wrote it.

:cheers:

I am just not that guy.

cans still get them.

Etc. etc....

I feel your pain .........daily. :rofl:

I am just not that guy.

cans still get them.

Etc. etc....

LOL this is great. Got a nice chuckle out of it, thanks!

Curious, are the Academy F-15C's or Tamiya kits worth building?

:cheers:/>

I've seen good models built with both kits. Do a google search to see if the shape is to your liking and if the price is right give it a go. There is also the old Monogram Eagle you can pick up cheaply. I bought the newer Academy C kit a few years back with the update and nice cartograph decals and thought it a solid deal for the $25 or so I paid for it.