July 20 has always been one of those days of note for me.

July 20 has always been one of those notable days of the year for me. July 20 1969, the day Apollo 11 landed men for the first time on the Moon. Since I was a kid Apollo 11 and all the NASA stuff, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and the Shuttle always interested me.

But since it's July 20 I just felt like making a post to what is one of the 20th Century's greatest moments.

I have National Geographic mags of most of the Apollo missions including Sky Lab, a few Gemini and Mercury issues as well as STS-1. I cherish each issue. :salute:

That was an epic date in history. My parents didn't tell me about it and dropped me off at school. The whole school was crowded into a big room and we watched the events on a small B&W TV......I had no clue what we were watching and could not make out anything on the TV....I was 9 years old and it wasn't until 3 years later that my eyes were checked in school and it was discovered I badly needed glasses. I guess my parents weren't exactly on their A game. :rofl:

This topic of the moon landings came up years later and a friend told me his parents kept him home that day to watch the grand event on TV at home.

Confusingly, it was 21 July over here in the UK - 03:56am.

I can remember being glued to the TV as we watched the grainy images come through - not much sleep that night.

Isn't it one of the 3 things we could do last century that we can't do now ???

1. Land a man on the moon.

2. Fly supersonically commercially.

I forget what the third thing is ????

Ken

Confusingly, it was 21 July over here in the UK - 03:56am.

I can remember being glued to the TV as we watched the grainy images come through - not much sleep that night.

Ken

Maybe no dirigibles, can't fly on any of them. If there was a modern Zeppelin I'd go on a flight on one, just don't use hydrogen, make sure its gas is helium. Yes, the Nazi's were not sold Helium by the US govt. so they used hydrogen which led to the Hindenburgh disaster.

Edited by Gordon Shumway

Smoke in restaurants?

Ken

I get what you're saying so I'm not trying to hash words, but I wouldn't say it's something we CAN'T do now, just one of the things for better or worse we've chosen not to do. If we really wanted to go to the moon it would be achievable in relatively short order. But that's a whole nuther discussion.

the other thing we can't do? hmm......have to think about that one.

Bill