F-86 Sabre exhaust vents

I am interested in doing a build-up of a F-86E-10 in Korean War markings using the highly regarded 1/48 Hasegawa kit. I have already cut off the wings of a Monogram Sabre Dog and modified the angle of the wing (several years ago there was much internet chatter about this) to reproduce the early slatted wing Sabre. I also realize the exhaust vents at the base of the rear wings have to be reversed.

My question has to do with the upper fuselage vent at the base of the vertical fin. The kit interpretation can be seen on later (F-86F) versions of the Sabre. Photos showing the upper fuselage seem to be hard to find. A good photo of this can be found on page 54 of the Squadron Signal 'F-86 Sabre Walk Around, Number 21.' Another photo, although not as clear, can be found on page 3, of another Squadron Signal publication, 'F-86 in Action, Number 126.'

I have only been able to find two photos that clearly show earlier Sabres i.e. A's and E's. On pages 41 and 63 of 'MiG Alley: Sabres vs. MiGs Over Korea' by Warren E. Thompson and David R. McLaren (Specialty Press) two great colour photos show an earlier interpretation without the raised panel as seen on the Hasegawa kit. The photo caption for the photo in the 'Walk Around: F-86' describes this as, "The small panel and exit scoop located at the top of the rear fuselage is the compressor overboard air bleed duct. This duct vented excess air from the compressor of the J47 engine."

At what point on the production line would this modification have been added? Would it be found on all F versions? Was the early type vent only on A and E Sabres? As I hope to also build-up a Canadian Sabre, when would this have been added to their production versions?

I know there are modelers out there who love Sabres as much as I do and I hope some will take the time to offer opinions.

This raised panel at the base of the vert fin was never introduced to Canadair built Sabres. As to when it was introduced to NA built, I was of the understanding it was with the 'F' model's GE J47-27 engine.

Others may know more,

Tony

I am interested in doing a build-up of a F-86E-10 in Korean War markings I also realize the exhaust vents at the base of the rear wings have to be reversed.

Can you expand on that further, I'm not familiar with the kit's lower fuselage vents being backwards. Pics if you got 'em.

Tony

Thanks for your comments, Tony. My computer skills are limited so I am unable to reproduce a photo. Perhaps a verbal description will suffice. The Hasegawa kit is molded such that this vent appears to be an exhaust vent i.e. air flowing out of the aircraft, while photos suggest this is an intake (cooling?) vent i.e. taking air into the aircraft. The kit vent is opening the opposite way that it should be. A good photo showing this can be found at the top of page 79 in the Squadron/Signal 'Walk Around F-86 Sabre, Number 21.

Can you expand on that further, I'm not familiar with the kit's lower fuselage vents being backwards. Pics if you got 'em.

Tony

Tony,

This is what he is talking about. Hasegawa has molded what is suppose to be a flush-mounted cooling scoop as a rearward facing vent like below. You can clearly see it just aft of the wing root.

IMG_0392_zpssw2rs15i.jpg

It is suppose to be a forward facing, flush-mounted scoop like below.

Flush%20fuselage%20intake_zpsy4fvtwfj.jpg

Edited by Tom

Tony,

This is what he is talking about. Hasegawa has molded what is suppose to be a flush-mounted cooling scoop as a rearward facing vent like below. You can clearly see it just aft of the wing root.

IMG_0392_zpssw2rs15i.jpg

Wow, never saw that before, here is a photo of my Hasegawa kit. I have three and they are all the same;

DSC06164_zpsd0hdg8pa.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Wow, never saw that before, here is a photo of my Hasegawa kit. I have three and they are all the same;

DSC06164_zpsd0hdg8pa.jpg

Cheers, Tony

I have 3 Hasegawa 1/48 Sabres in the stash. 2 F-30's and 1 F-40. All 3 kits have the vent correct as posted by Tony. The F-86 fuselage molds are modular to give the additional scoop for the F-40. Just wondering if the mold was incorrectly assembled on a run and this resulted in the reversed vent.

Cheers,

John

I have 3 Hasegawa 1/48 Sabres in the stash. 2 F-30's and 1 F-40. All 3 kits have the vent correct as posted by Tony. The F-86 fuselage molds are modular to give the additional scoop for the F-40. Just wondering if the mold was incorrectly assembled on a run and this resulted in the reversed vent.

Cheers,

John

John,

I have 2 F-86F-30 kits and both have the scoop incorrectly molded as a vent. I wonder if there is a way to determine when the kit was corrected? I don't know what the kit number is for the F-40 but my F-30's are 07213/PT13. The instructions are printed in 1996 and on the end of the box it says NEW TOOL 1996.

Tom