The first stages of my U-2. I painted the cockpit interior medium gray and the intakes, speed brakes & landing gear wells Chromate Yellow. The intakes fit well to the fuselage with only a tiny bit of putty required. The clear sprue was missing from the kit so I had to use a vacu-form canopy from Squadron and will scratch build the viewing lenses. The instrument panel was also missing, so that will have to be built up. The cockpit is VERY bare, having only a rudimentary seat, pilot and IP, but very little will be visible anyway once that white sunshade is painted on the inside of the canopy.

Grandma L

DSC_0033A_zpsnwtyonwm.jpg

DSC_0035A_zpssppb2rsj.jpg

DSC_0036A_zpseon6oxir.jpg

Nice work! Is it just me, or is that plastic really thin?

The plastic is normal thickness for styrene, but there is little or no pigment in it, so it is translucent. The interior paint shows through as shadows. I have the primer paint on it and I am waiting for hubby to take some pictures for me. He is more than happy for me to build anything in his stash, use his paint, tools and so forth, but his camera is off limits for me.

Grandma L

Edited by texgal45
  • 4 weeks later...

Hubby finally got some pictures taken of the U-2 in primer paint, so I will post one of them. The wings are not glued in place as I plan to paint them first and then glue them in place. The fit to the fuselage is very good, so only a slight joint seam will be visible. The real U-Bird has a joint at that point anyway, so it is not unrealistic.

Grandma L

DSC_0039A_zpswa8fwp5u.jpg

Hubby finally got some pictures taken of the U-2 in primer paint, so I will post one of them. The wings are not glued in place as I plan to paint them first and then glue them in place. The fit to the fuselage is very good, so only a slight joint seam will be visible. The real U-Bird has a joint at that point anyway, so it is not unrealistic.

Grandma L

Your U-2 is looking good. I am anxiously awaiting the final finish.

Darwin

Love it! You're primer looks purple on that green background. Great job so far! Did you see my U-2's in the inspiration section?

Yes, I did see your U-2 examples. They look great, especially the cockpit on the little U-2. I still find it hard to believe that they actually landed both the small U-2 and the larger R model on carriers.

Grandma L