Are you ordering your kits online of buying form local hobby shops?

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ordering online or buying form physical hobby shops?

• Buying online mostly
    • Buying from local hobby shops mostly

Hey Guys,

Something just came to my mind after a discussion I had wit ha few modelers. While I'm pretty much doing all my researches on any kits online before buying and ordering online afterwards, others are spending more time and going to actual physical stores to pick up their kits. I see the pro and con of both solutions...

So I'm just wondering which way you guys are going usually? I'm pretty curious to see the poll results and I'd love to see some reasoning as well!

Have a great day!

Greetings, neu

Edited by neu

Everything I buy for modelling is online. The local model shop(really a craft/hobby store with a model aisle)caters more to the young kid wanting a model to build on a rainy day.

Hi neu

I have a local shop (here in the UK) that sells mostly Revell, Airfix with the occasional Trumpeter, Hasegawa etc but no AM.

If they have it I always support the shop (even if its a bit more expensive) but if they can't get it I go online or order from a retailer and pick up at a show.

Thanks

Simon

For me it comes down to cost. If my LHS has a kit that I want and I can get it cheaper from them then online then I buy from the LHS. To be honest though its a minority of the time that my LHS comes in cheaper then what I can get the kit for, including shipping, by purchasing the kit online. I do my best to help out the LHS but in the end my modeling budget takes priority.

Short answer...online.

:cheers:

Brick and mortar are way overpriced. Even on line is a bit expensive after you

add shipping. I found the best way to go is buy at a dealers table at a show.

I am always looking for those "vintage" kits that e bay sellers over price because

they are so hard to find, yeah.....right. My next option after that is buying from

Japanese or Chinese distributors.---John

Like some others, I buy kits from the LHS unless it's something they don't/won't carry. Yes, I can get it cheaper, but I want both of them to STAY IN BUSINESS.

Why don't you modify the poll to add "Buy from LHS when possible, otherwise online." This will better capture myself and some others.

About 95% of my kits and modelling supplies come from online retailers in Taiwan and Hong Kong, the rest from Sprue Bros, Scale Hobbyist and/or Michigan Toy Soldier. Only thinners comes from local suppliers like Home Depot or local hardware stores. I even get my clothing, shoes from online sources.

100% of my kits are online and second-hand. I don't remember the last time actually purchasing a kit from a retailer in any form.

Paints/supplies are most often brick and mortar, unless I can't find what I need. then Sprue Bros.

Spruebrothers and the local HobbyTown USA.

I work at the HobbyTown and our discount is pretty nice, so getting kits and supplies from there isn't so bad. I do a lot of the model orders for the store, so our selection is pretty darn good too!

I get everything from online or model shows.

I was a good supporter of my LHS, but, once he closed, that left me with no choice.

Besides, since I use antique paints, an LHS wouldn't carry them anyway.

Both. All my supplies come from my hobby stores and I get models from 3 places. Here at ARC, online, and the LHS. Just depends on the price, availability, and my mood.

^^^ This, although I will give the LHS the benefit that if they are within a few dollars of the same kit online (plus shipping), I'll use them and take the the extra hit to the model budget.

Dave

^^^ This, although I will give the LHS the benefit that if they are within a few dollars of the same kit online (plus shipping), I'll use them and take the the extra hit to the model budget.

Dave

Same here. I'll get most of the paint, tools and misc stuff from the LHS. For kits, if he's even remotely close to the online price, I'll give him the business. I don't have money to burn but an extra $10-$30 once in a while to support a local business is well worth it IMO.

Best shops are 45 min or so away, I can't afford to drive down there every time I need something. Plus they only carry the usual R-M/AMT/RoG kits. I have weird interests.

I do try if I'm in the area (usually every 6 months or so) to run by and stock up on paints and whatnot. One of the shops carries Floquil paints and the full Tamiya rack of sprays and bottles.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

I used to buy almost all my kits online. Now I buy all of them online.

There are no hobby shops near me with one exception. They only stock Revell kits so those I used to buy there.

But the last time I was there the owners twenty-something son followed me around the store. And he was close,

as in, if I would have tried to take my wallet out of my back pocket, I would have touched him. Very uncomfortable.

So I asked if there was a problem and his answer was "not yet". So that was that, I spend my money elswhere now.

I am all for supporting your local business, but if you essentially call me a thief, me, who NEVER left that store

without buying a kit, even if they didn't have the one I wanted, my money will never ever go your way again. Ever.

All other shops that carry models are a good 1 hour drive away. And shops that carry manufacturers other than Revell are even further.

So bying kits online is the number one thing for me.