Scratch building and payload fairings - how?

Hey all! I'm getting back into space modelling after a long hiatus and recently picked up the Revell 1/144 Saturn V. I plan on going into a fairly representative build of Apollo 11, but on a separate note entirely, I'd also like to see about using PVC and styrene to scratch build SLS Block 1 or 1A, also at 1/144 scale.

My issue is how to approach the Launch Vehicle Stage Adapters and the domed cover of Orion's LAS. Plastic conical pieces don't quite seem to be common out in craft land and i'm unsure how to approach that short of cannabalizing another model which i'd like to avoid...

I'd also like to scratch build an Atlas V 401 (representing the MAVEN launch I attended), which should be simple enough but again, this time the payload fairing has me stumped. Cones, argh!

Do I have any options so I don't have to cannibalizing another kit? Thank you!

Hi mkjm, if you can send me the dimensions (1-diameter of top and bottom disks; 2-cone height) I could flatten the cone for you. You'll have to print it on paper at exact size then glue it onto your styrene sheet (I use repositionable spray but I read Pritt stick works better as it leaves no residue when peeled away -- haven't tried that though). One tip, I normally use scissors when cutting the pattern (easier than the xacto) but I make sure to leave a little "extension" at the ends of the cone (where the edges meet). I then run the styrene part along the edge of the table (especially those ends) to curl it up a bit before finally cutting off those extensions. After that I just peel off the pattern then I can form it into shape and glue. Another tip -- for the top and bottom of the cones -- cut styrene disks to cover them. Easier to form the cone that way, too.

The fun of Scratchbuilding, for me, is the problem solving.

You wanna build a truncated cone?, see if you can scrounge the correct shape from ... anywhere! In one of my builds, I used a clear water bottle for the base structure (of the module I wanted to replicate) and built on that. A cone is 'easy' enough ... but the creative process involved is where the pure satisfaction comes in. Orion's LAS ... Use a spherical Xmas ornament, cut it in half and build on that. Yes, there's lotsa filing and sanding and trial and error, but, it is after all, scratch building.

For your Saturn V, are you gonna accurize it too? I'm unsure what you mean by "a fairly representative build of Apollo 11". There's some aftermarket Resin and PE out there.

One more thing ... don't be shy about posting your progress on these :thumbsup:

Pete

I know you said you wanted to scratch-build the SLS, but there are 3D-printed solutions out there that might make things easier. Michael Key on Shapeways has a few of the SLS components available in his shop, although you would need to ask him to scale them down to 1:144. Ya might give him a shout, he's a great guy to work with.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XBLGFUDWV/orion-bpc-las-1-72?optionId=42952649

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UKSP62BW5/orion-sls-eng-base-1-72?optionId=57592180

Hello,

For cones I have a short tips & Tricks section on my web site that explain how to develop a cone : http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/tips.htm

There is also a simple program called Siatki which develop cones. You just have to print the result : http://gremirmodels.com/downloads.htm

Vincent

Edited by Lunokhod 2

This is fantastic, thank you all for the tips and suggestions!

I sent Michael Key a message asking about scaling down the Orion LAS so we'll see what he says. I'm not above using appropriated 3D printed parts and whatnot, I'm no master model builder - I just want to have an SLS next to the Saturn V in the same scale.

This will be a slow process but if I can get it going I'll be happy to share progress! Right now it's studying diagrams, taking measurements, sourcing parts and whatnot.