Very nice. Did you have a source for those very late VNAF tail codes for the different squadrons?

These specific odd colored jets were part of an attempt to build up the numbers of aircraft in the VNAF before the 1973 armistice took hold. So several aircraft from Iran, Korea and other stocks were "leased" to the VNAF and the plan was to gradually trade them in for new build F-5Es. This was because after a certain date, the US wouldn't be allowed to just send new aircraft in unless it was to replace one that was lost or to replace an older jet.

I have a Kinetic jet I am doing up in VNAF colors, although it is temporarily on hold until I get a new canopy for it. I'm going with the alternative SEA camo scheme that I've seen on some of the jets, which I believe are earlier aircraft sent through depot level maintenance. I like having a little variety in my paintjobs.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Very nice. Did you have a source for those very late VNAF tail codes for the different squadrons?

These specific odd colored jets were part of an attempt to build up the numbers of aircraft in the VNAF before the 1973 armistice took hold. So several aircraft from Iran, Korea and other stocks were "leased" to the VNAF and the plan was to gradually trade them in for new build F-5Es. This was because after a certain date, the US wouldn't be allowed to just send new aircraft in unless it was to replace one that was lost or to replace an older jet.

I have a Kinetic jet I am doing up in VNAF colors, although it is temporarily on hold until I get a new canopy for it. I'm going with the alternative SEA camo scheme that I've seen on some of the jets, which I believe are earlier aircraft sent through depot level maintenance. I like having a little variety in my paintjobs.

Thanx for liking, guys!

Jay,

Unfortunately, there's no record or source for that. I talked to many ex VNAF F-5 pilots but they have no clue. The reason for that is simple, pilots shared planes within the squadrons. They went on missions, came back and tried to live another day so they didn't really pay attention to the airplanes letter code or serial number, etc.... Some said the above belonged to 542nd FS, some said 522nd... so we may never know the truth, who's wrong and who's right

Regards,

Fabian