Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

tamiya61114reviewbg_12.jpg

It's strange but I only see one set of anti-slip markings on the decals?

If the flying scenes of the Final Countdown are anything to go by, the sheet is correct in only supplying one set of walkway decals. From the film clips, the VF-84 Tomcats had the markings applied only on the port side. Interestingly, the Tomcats from VF-41 had walkways applied on both sides.

Mark

It depends on the era and the squadron. I've seen Tomcats with single walkway areas and others with two. There are also variations depending on the squadron practice itself.

yes indeed, but this 3 squadrons offered from tamiya decals have those tiny stencils. :unsure:

Odds are the AM decal guys will throw in the appropriate number of walkway markings for the paint schemes on their sheets. Regardless they really are not difficult to mask and paint (easier to weather when painting them on yourself IMHO). Looking forward to seeing a completed build.

:cheers:

Each of the aircraft on the sheet had a single walkway on the port intake.

I am having a genuine dilemma deciding which scheme to put my (first) Tamiya Tomcat in. Iran? VF-1? VF-124? VF-114? So many great options.

Guess I'm gonna need several...

It's strange but I only see one set of anti-slip markings on the decals?

Edited by andrew.deboer

And I bet they would be really be up in arms at one that was hand-painted with wavy, irregular edges like in that photo...

Apologies if this is a repetitive question, but I got lost in the other thread and missed it - has a release date been announced for the Tamiya Cat?

Mike

Nice detail. But will probably hard to convince a contest judge. Show me the picture!

If the contest judge is doing it by IPMS standards, he is going to be focusing on (in that order) fit, seams, paint, decals and how it looks in overall presentation regardless of any perception of if the scheme is accurate or not. Only place where a walkway issue might come into play would be if hypothetical model was in a dead heat tie with something else in the category. Besides, 9 time out of 10 when a picture of the actual subject is provided, the judge will likely ignore it anyway.

Plus a lot of us who already have more than a few F-14 decal sets stashed away likely have a few walkway decals that can be used (I do anyway). I know, sheets designed for other kits may not fit a Tamiya one exactly, but in my experience from the models I have done, there is enough of a fudge factor present to get markings designed to fit one manufacturer's kit to work with another's.

Oke nice kit sofar but the old 1/48 Tamiya F-15A includes APG radar and one-piece radome?

Again VF-84 modex 200: CAG Rob Ferguson (VF-2 dewd?)

Never a Fox 202 or 203.

I wonder how the boxart will look like.

Edited by cag_200

Can't make out the decal sheet very well for VF-84, but it appears Tamiya has Bob Ferguson as the CAG. He's the CAG from the 1979-1980 Nimitz cruise during filming of a famous movie. However, all the pictures of this model in VF-84's livery from the reveal depict the jet from the 1977-1978 Nimitz cruise. Ferguson wasn't the CAG then.

Capt "Moon" Moreau was the CAG before and during the first half of the 1977-1978 cruise while CDR Judd Springer took over during the second half. Pretty much all pics from the 1977 time frame show Springer's name as pilot and Lt Curly Crumpacker as RIO.

For Bob Ferguson's era, the RIO should be Ensign Jay Rogers