Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

once built, it would be nice to have a visual comparison between Hasegawa and Tamiya regarding the peculiar perspectives of the Tomcat... like this:

s9p1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Tamiya has captured better the lower curvature of the canopy/windscreen

Edited by Alpagueur

Great shot. It allows one to see that the splitter? wing? is not straight where it meets the fuselage while the top of the ramp is straight. This was a point of early concern in the original thread.

Concur. I took pictures of this area on the Tomcat at my museum. The top of the intake is indeed straight. I'm not too concerned about it, though. I think some simple pressure applied to the leading edge of the top of the intake will straighten it out and it will look the part. It's a minor issue compared with how nice the rest of the kit is.

I would have really been interested to see a pic of the model at this angle, but oh well.

Brad

once built, it would be nice to have a visual comparison between Hasegawa and Tamiya regarding the peculiar perspectives of the Tomcat... like this:

s9p1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Tamiya has captured better the lower curvature of the canopy/windscreen

The panel lines in the "tunnel" and along the lex and the overal turtle back zone are way more accurate than what has been handed to us by Hasegawa and the like. It looks like finally someone cared and managed to get the panel lines right. :thumbsup:

These new Tomcat needs some new decals in 1/48, like the first plane:

144-33a_zps84iodhx8.jpg

Please in 1/48!!!

Seems that these plane can be build.

Vf-114 ROCKS! My favorite. Yes please in 1/48!!!

I see many Tamiya Tomcat's in the ARC "In Progress", "Display Case", and "Critique" sections. This kits gonna sell like crazy!

:cheers:

Hi gtypecanare.

What is your opinion about the shape of the tamiya Phoenix pallet. In the Hasegawa kit they are really horrible.

Another question.

What colours you use for the exhaust, looks great!!!

Many thanks!!

From the shroud to the very end of the exhaust here is a round-down of the Tamiya colors used.

Shroud-XF-56 and the brighter part is a mix of XF-16:3+XF-56:2

The thin band is X-31

Exhaust is XF-56:5+XF-7:1

Exhaust iris is XF-1:1+X-11:1

Vf-114 ROCKS! My favorite. Yes please in 1/48!!!

I see many Tamiya Tomcat's in the ARC "In Progress", "Display Case", and "Critique" sections. This kits gonna sell like crazy!

:cheers:/>

You're not kidding! I may have five going all at the same time!

These new Tomcat needs some new decals in 1/48, like the first plane:

144-33a_zps84iodhx8.jpg

Please in 1/48!!!

Seems that these plane can be build.

Both Fightertown and Furball have VF-114 options on their recently released sheets. While they aren't technically LGG/W, they are pretty close.

Personnally, I'm hoping someone produces the LGG/W VF-41 scheme with the spades on the red-striped tails! Wouldn't that look sweet on this kit? The old Aeromaster sheet is impossible to find!

Sorry for continuing the thread drift...

Edited by Falconxlvi

Concur. I took pictures of this area on the Tomcat at my museum. The top of the intake is indeed straight. I'm not too concerned about it, though. I think some simple pressure applied to the leading edge of the top of the intake will straighten it out and it will look the part. It's a minor issue compared with how nice the rest of the kit is.

I'm surprised they made such an error. I doubt they can correct it. A shame really.

And here is the front view.

IMG_4877ann.JPG

My interpretation is that, on the Tamiya kit, the section I marked as 1 curves down too much, and the curve does not flatten out. That is, there is still a curvature as you approach the tip (closest to the camera). On the real plane, that section seems to flatten out, meaning, the curvature at the tip is zero. This is what I think people are talking about. That detail looks a little exaggerated to me also. It's not a deal breaker for me at all.

Here is the unedited version of the same pic.

Edited by Janissary

I am having a hard time spotting this error. Could someone point it out specifically using photos and red lines? Thanks.

Mark

This is a straight-on shot. You can see the top leading edge of the intake is parallel with that panel line on the fuselage. From the pictures posted of the test shot, the leading edge on the Tamiya kit seems to slope down. Mind you, there haven't been any straight-on shots of the model, so it could have been the angle the picture was taken at. It caught my attention the first time I saw the pictures, though. In the end, it's really not a big deal. I'm still convinced you can bend the plastic up to achieve the straight line, if indeed the kit has the sloped intake. Regardless, this kit is going to be beautiful and a joy to build. I'm just being ultra picky because I'm passionate about the Tomcat. It in no way takes away from the excellent job Tamiya has done on this kit.

4113561_orig.jpg

Here's another looking up. It almost appears the lip curls up a bit, but that's an illusion because of the way the intake ramp is situated.

7929907_orig.jpg

In this picture of the test shot, you can see that the intake edge appears to continue to curve down instead of flattening out straight.

Tamiya test shot

Edited by Darren Roberts

Darren, I must respectfully disagree here, in the head on shot of the Grim Reapers bird you can clearly see the curvature of the panels above the intake, all the way to the lip, especially on the port side. I can't see the flat area you are mentioning, maybe I did not understand your side on shot. It may be that the Tamiya kit has TOO much curvature, but to me I can see the curve.