Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

Intriguing, if you order them one at a time you get $18 shipping charge to the US but if you order two it's well over $60...if you order 3, shipping only increase with $10.

Best to order one at a tine unless you order more than two....

I noticed this some time ago. I often order multiple smaller orders rather than one big order for this reason, filling and emptying the cart to compare total shipping costs. Most recently I ordered two of the Skunkworks F-16XL kits one at a time, saved big on shipping.

It is still going on, I just checked. Make sure you choose the "surface mail" option from the drop down menu for "Shipping Method". The total will go down to $2 from $66. The only drawback is the wait for surface shipping. Don't forget to input "DOUBLE" in the coupon code area to get an extra 10% off!

This is exactly what I did when I ordered earlier today, and it worked. There is a link on their homepage explaining the offer(s).

I finally got it to work, and I've now got two of these

floating my way to the US.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi,

There will also be two Tomcats on a ship coming my way. :thumbsup:

Jim,

Keep in mind that these are pre-orders. Luckymodel won't be loading them onto the boat in Hong Kong until late September. If I get mine by December, I'll consider myself Lucky.

My Kinetic F/A-18C got held up in Customs for over month, so I would only start to worry about my Tomcats by March 2017.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hey Darren, I was reading a Fine Scale Modeler from backlog yesterday. It was the Nov 2006 issue and there was your Monogram F-14 dressed up as Maverick's aircraft to celebrate 20 years of Top Gun. Can we expect to see your Tamiya F-14 in Iceman's marking for 30th anniversary in the Nov 2016 issue?

Hey Darren, I was reading a Fine Scale Modeler from backlog yesterday. It was the Nov 2006 issue and there was your Monogram F-14 dressed up as Maverick's aircraft to celebrate 20 years of Top Gun. Can we expect to see your Tamiya F-14 in Iceman's marking for 30th anniversary in the Nov 2016 issue?

Unfortunately not, but I do have an article coming out in the November issue. I converted the Kittyhawk F9F-8 back to a -6. You wouldn't believe the lead time needed for articles. I turned in a Blue Angels A-4 article this summer and it won't run until sometime next spring. For the Tamiya kit, I will actually be doing a Maverick jet. I had a gentleman contact me just yesterday from England. Apparently he works in the movie industry over there and wants a model to go with his flight suit that Tom Cruise wore during filming. He has a friend that has one of the movie models.

Edited by Darren Roberts

688993C4-31A0-40E8-96F9-C950D623CE2E_zpsuwvddqje.jpg

Looking good..... image is reversed though.

I'm working on a Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A from my stash as I wanted to feel the pain one more time before this kit hits the shelves. This boxing is by far the worst condition I've seen their molds in. More flash than you would expect from an Italeri kit and there are several damage marks in the molds. Time for them to retire the molds based on their condition alone.

Cheers,

John

Sprue Brothers has some Steel Beach stiffener plates. I'm going to pick a set of those up. Combined with a box full of space TCS chin pods, I'll have my options pretty open. I may have to preorder two more Tamiya F-14s and get two more of the Best of the Best sheets to build all 3 of the movie jets. A buddy and I are already doing full gear Maverick and Goose for DragonCon to celebrate the 30th anniversary. I might as well build Top Gun jets besides the helmets. LOL.

I'm getting some update sets ready for Steel Beach. It will include the ECM antennas for under the wing glove, a new boat tail with the ECM antenna, vinyl stiffener plates, and a clear TCS pod. I'm to the point where the clear resin is looking good for what I need. I'm also going to have a set of clear navigation lights. Other items will include a TARPS pod and hopefully a Bullwinkle pod if I can get it to cast well. I will attempt a backdate set with the early 7 grill gun vent as well as the original beaver tail.

I'm getting some update sets ready for Steel Beach. It will include the ECM antennas for under the wing glove, a new boat tail with the ECM antenna, vinyl stiffener plates, and a clear TCS pod. I'm to the point where the clear resin is looking good for what I need. I'm also going to have a set of clear navigation lights. Other items will include a TARPS pod and hopefully a Bullwinkle pod if I can get it to cast well. I will attempt a backdate set with the early 7 grill gun vent as well as the original beaver tail.

What about update to NACA vents?

Check it out! Production samples have arrived at the office!

6B1503CA-C9B7-4344-8E19-8DFC47C9C1EB_zpstaswl06a.jpg

5CA1013B-9F78-44A6-BA82-C57368923C60_zps1xpavz41.jpg

C051D1BA-767F-4F1D-879C-4974688CA916_zps5y5sd7et.jpg

Wow!!! This is very inspiring. Tamiya box art, graphics and overall packaging is very nice.

Edited by stalal

Doh....is this better?

F4E823CB-7FAD-4D1C-A8A9-9C4857F05F67_zpscy1cigwc.jpg

:woot.gif:...now THAT'S nice :thumbsup:! Just when you think this kit can't get any better something new pops up. Honestly just give me my dang kits already... :lol:!

Every new update is trying to pull me away from the AMK kit. Must...resist....

Why not get both? From the looks of things, the AMK kit's tooling has yet to be cut and will likely only be released at year's end so in the meantime, the Tamiya kit can keep you company. :)

Mark

Why not get both? From the looks of things, the AMK kit's tooling has yet to be cut and will likely only be released at year's end so in the meantime, the Tamiya kit can keep you company. :)/>

Mark

Lack of display/storage space means there's no way I can build more than one 1/48 F-14. I do want to build at least one though because it's on my bucket list. It's the Tomcat, after all.

@gtypecanare Can you also share some pages of the instruction booklet? Is there a downloadable version of the instruction booklet as well? Tamiya had it only once I think for 1/32 Spitfire IXc.

Edited by stalal