Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

Anyone know why Hobby Link Japan has not listed the kit for pre-order. The kit is about a month away and still nothing. I checked a few of the Japan Retailers and nada....I saw the side of the box and it had 7800 yen printed on there. That would make it roughly 78.00 USD. Really more of a curiosity to see the price compared to US sellers than my wanting to buy one. Still if the price is low enough I would make yet another pre-order........ :woot.gif:/>

Ha just looked at HoobySearch and they listed it today! 6630yen

Edited by viper730

I am not sure if part 2 was posted already but the link in BG's part 3 is not pointing to 2. So, here are the chapters of his review and build:

Review

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

He mentions quite a few times how well the parts fit. That's really good news. I just want to get through the construction phase as quickly as possible and enjoy the time painting/weathering it. This seems to be the kit just for that!

He mentions quite a few times how well the parts fit. That's really good news. I just want to get through the construction phase as quickly as possible and enjoy the time painting/weathering it. This seems to be the kit just for that!

Funny, that is the part where I normally screw up my beautiful scratch-building. Maybe one day I will get good at painting and weathering.

Cheers,

Dave

Funny, that is the part where I normally screw up my beautiful scratch-building. Maybe one day I will get good at painting and weathering.

Cheers,

Dave

LOL, that is funny.... It really goes to show you how each modeller has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. I am the opposite, the painting and weathering is where I try to cover up my shortcomings in construction and detail enhancement/corrections.

:cheers:

Was there really any doubt about the fit? The worlds premier manufacturer who's reputation in parts fit is huge could be in doubt?

In the flesh simply a beautiful model.

No multi part canopy madness just clean beautiful detail that fits like a glove.

That's Tamiya...

With the Tamiya kit, is it possible to model F-14A 162695 (TARPS) with VF-102 (CVW-1, 1993)? It looks like this:

162695-F-14A-AB-100-10.94

Sorry, there were discussions about BuNos but I can't find them now.

Thanks.

You'll need a Block 115 upgrade. That has the ECM blisters under the wing glove and on the boat tail. You'll also need the inverted L shaped tail stiffeners, newer style wheel hubs, and TCS pod. I'm working on a set for the Steel Beach line that will have all of that in it.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Anyone know why Hobby Link Japan has not listed the kit for pre-order. The kit is about a month away and still nothing. I checked a few of the Japan Retailers and nada....I saw the side of the box and it had 7800 yen printed on there. That would make it roughly 78.00 USD. Really more of a curiosity to see the price compared to US sellers than my wanting to buy one. Still if the price is low enough I would make yet another pre-order........ :woot.gif:/>/>

Ha just looked at HoobySearch and they listed it today! 6630yen

As I understand it, the first production batch is coming to the USA, so that could be why HLJ has yet to list it. They typically don't go live with a price unless they can guarantee what amount they are getting. Yes, the 7800 is the yen price, but it won't be that cheap in the states. At last check with my LHS, Great Planes (Tower Hobbies) has it listed at an MSRP of $115.00 and with discounts, my shop will likely be able to sell it for about $90.00. Some mail order sites will likely go less than that, but don't forget to factor in the cost of shipping as well. Shipping costs will also affect the amount you spend unless the mail order site has a "free shipping" option. As for me, I will buy from my LHS so I can support them. Plus I just love the feeling of getting a kit, putting it on the counter and having it get rung up.

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I have that sheet and VF-1 is the first scheme I wanted to use on the Tamiya kit.

I believe Darren is planning on these small updates so that we can go ahead and use those markings without having to wait for eons for Tamiya to release their next F-14 Kit. I am guessing that we will not see another F-14 release from Tamiya until about 2018. I may be wrong but I am basing that on their F-16 kit.

Doesn't look like the VF-1 "first cruise" F-14A version can be done, no provision for that early "A" boat tail.

LOL, that is funny.... It really goes to show you how each modeller has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. I am the opposite, the painting and weathering is where I try to cover up my shortcomings in construction and detail enhancement/corrections.

:cheers:/>

Painting and weathering is where I sink to the bottom. Give me ANY kit to build and I'll put it together no problem (with LOTS of scratch-built stuff added) but ask me to paint it and weather it and I'm dead. I can do it but not to the extend some can.

Rob

Well I am sure many of us will be happy with what Tamiya provided for markings in the kit but I have already decided that my first one will be an aircraft from VF-1 using the Furball Decals sheet. Yeah I know there are issues with some of the details so I am hoping that Darren will quickly produce the small upgrades that are required (right Darren :thumbsup:).

My other Tomcats on the build list are VF-33, VF-213 and VF-31. To be honest VF-84 did not make the cut. Maybe because it is too prominent? Need to show the other guys some love :)

I can hardly wait and I keep checking my pre-order as if it will miraculously change even though it is not released as yet. Can you say addicted? :lol: :lol: