Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

Well I am sure many of us will be happy with what Tamiya provided for markings in the kit but I have already decided that my first one will be an aircraft from VF-1 using the Furball Decals sheet. Yeah I know there are issues with some of the details so I am hoping that Darren will quickly produce the small upgrades that are required (right Darren :thumbsup:/>).

My other Tomcats on the build list are VF-33, VF-213 and VF-31. To be honest VF-84 did not make the cut. Maybe because it is too prominent? Need to show the other guys some love :)/>

I can hardly wait and I keep checking my pre-order as if it will miraculously change even though it is not released as yet. Can you say addicted? :lol:/> :lol:/>

I'm already working on it. I have vinyl tail stiffeners, but I'm experimenting with thin resin stiffeners, as they will be more detailed. So far I've been able to get them thin enough. You might have to sand a little bit, but I think it will work. I'm also experimenting with clear resin TCS pods. That has been less successful. I've got a couple of ideas, though, that may work. What is working for the clear resin is the navigation lights. You will drill out the kit lights and attach the clear lights up under the inside of the fuselage piece up through the hole that was made. From what I've seen of the Tamiya kit, the shape is pretty pronounced, so drilling it out won't be a problem. Once I get the kit in hand, I'll check for fit of all the parts.

I'm already working on it. I have vinyl tail stiffeners, but I'm experimenting with thin resin stiffeners, as they will be more detailed. So far I've been able to get them thin enough. You might have to sand a little bit, but I think it will work. I'm also experimenting with clear resin TCS pods. That has been less successful. I've got a couple of ideas, though, that may work. What is working for the clear resin is the navigation lights. You will drill out the kit lights and attach the clear lights up under the inside of the fuselage piece up through the hole that was made. From what I've seen of the Tamiya kit, the shape is pretty pronounced, so drilling it out won't be a problem. Once I get the kit in hand, I'll check for fit of all the parts.

Yeah Darren to the rescue. Thank the stars that Darren is around and loves the Tomcat like no one else and has the proof :)

I really have to brush up on the differences in the various iterations of the Tomcat. Although like most aircraft probably not going to get everything but a 90% correct airframe would work for me.

From the Kitmanaic.com FaceBook page.

Amazing work from the Master modeller David Parker;

New Tamiya F-14A Tomcat 1/48. Full build article on a forthcoming issue of the AIR MODELLER Magazine.

14232462_1116868995074600_7017939136198444571_n.jpg?oh=6ce8b4c17e5fd20ef16b4dbc27f23e8d&oe=5848C400

14237549_1116868991741267_2956132809942750177_n.jpg?oh=784bdd8e74b58f0613e47c08077c700a&oe=583A13A6

14233262_1116868988407934_2143932879384131679_n.jpg?oh=095fcddd8932bc8443516c500197321c&oe=587D5F2E

14238092_1116869018407931_5411284799141261021_n.jpg?oh=887f88b5c87049ba1b6f05f4c17e8b1a&oe=58408FD4

Absolutely STUNNING. These are the markings I want to do on my first one.

• 1 month later...

Actually, you can make a VF-1 ride. Just not one with a wide beaver tail. VF-1 got plenty of the later style jets rotated into their ranks for their carrier cruises just like VF-2 kit (and VF-2 was on that very first Tomcat cruise alongside VF-1 with the wide beaver tailed jets).

I've got my first kit, picked it up on Thursday. Now I'm just having a hard time making a choice as to which jet I want to do. The Iranian bird is VERY tempting, now that I can do one out of the box, but I'm still thinking Navy for my first bird. VF-32 Swordsman jet from the 1989 Gulf of Sidra jet is possible, although requires a gun gas vent mod to do (and reinforcement strips for the tail). VF-124 Bicentennial Bird perhaps? Sure, but I need new decals. Maybe I'll just stick with a classic... VF-41 Black Aces from the first Libyan shootdown incident, since I have the decals to do it and jet 102/101 can be done up in that scheme almost out of the box.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I will be getting my kit in on Wednesday. I have been back n forth as to which markings to use. I want to do VF-111 but I also want the Gary over White paint scheme. I have not found any pics of a VF-111 with that two tone paint scheme. I would not mind a VF-84 bird but I know a lot of modelers will be using that squadron on their build. Thinking about just using the VF-2 markings that came in the kit. What do you all think?

5 hours ago, Jay Chladek said:

Actually, you can make a VF-1 ride. Just not one with a wide beaver tail. VF-1 got plenty of the later style jets rotated into their ranks for their carrier cruises just like VF-2 kit (and VF-2 was on that very first Tomcat cruise alongside VF-1 with the wide beaver tailed jets).

OK, I've got this sheet, which options can I do out of the box? 

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2701-2800/rev2764-Fightertown-ftd48014/00.shtm

2 hours ago, Brian 1 said:

OK, I've got this sheet, which options can I do out of the box? 

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2701-2800/rev2764-Fightertown-ftd48014/00.shtm

Unfortunately, I believe all of those markings have the early style beaver tail. For the Tamiya kit, you need to get the Fightertown Tomcat Pt. 1 sheet with the Desert Storm markings. Those will be closer to the Tamiya kit gives you. Steel Beach is about to release a Block 125 update that will get you the rest of the way.

I'm headed up to Sprue Bros. today to drop off an order with some new items. :cheers: Included will be the following:

- chin sensor (includes sensor base with TCS, IRST, bullet fairing, and clear resin lens)
- Block 125 update (includes resin tail stiffeners, chin sensor, and ECM blisters)
- resin tail stiffeners

I'll also be picking up my kit. Once I have it in hand, I'll begin the following sets:

- clear resin lenses for the nav/anti-collision lights
- early gun vent
- early beaver tail conversion
- late A/B conversion
- TARPS pod with Bullwinkle pod

Hopefully I'll get these done sooner than later.

49 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'll also be picking up my kit. Once I have it in hand, I'll begin the following sets:

- clear resin lenses for the nav/anti-collision lights
- early gun vent
- early beaver tail conversion
- late A/B conversion
- TARPS pod with Bullwinkle pod

Hopefully I'll get these done sooner than later.

The way tamiya designed the kit the beaver tail will be a huge chore to modify. Hopefully, but unlikely, they will do an early A

45 minutes ago, firewill said:

Yeah, Fightertown 48-014 VF-1 decal includes early block 65 & 70 aircraft, Tamiya kit out of box would be block 90 or later.

There is also Fightertown sheet 48080 which has a VF-1 bird on it...I'm not sure what block it represents. Also 48075 has a later (overall gloss gull gray) VF-1 bird on it, which I believe is a later block aircraft.

13 minutes ago, Brian 1 said:

The way tamiya designed the kit the beaver tail will be a huge chore to modify. Hopefully, but unlikely, they will do an early A

Yes...will require some significant surgery. Wish they didn't go that route, I know it makes for less seams to potential fill and mess with, but looking at the kit design I don't see any other variants coming.

Not that I mind! The kit is great and a mid 70s A model is on my radar. I have the early VF-1 boxing by Hasegawa with the original style beaver-tail to do a "First Cruise" Tomcat with as well! :)

Edited by 82Whitey51

The Tamiya kit can be built as a block 85 or early block 95 F-14A.

The VF-2 jet is a Block 85 while the VF-84 version is a Block 95 jet.

So, the block 85 jets would include BUNO's from 159588 thru 159637 and the Block 95 jets would be BUNO's 160379 thru 160414. Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

I have one on pre-order and I'm undecided whether to do it as a VF-1, VF-111 or VF-124 jet. Although all the different blocks confuse me. I know the difference between the undernose pods, TF-30 as opposed to F-110 engines, and ECM bumps. But other than that I'm confused. 

Edited by darren