Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

Pre-ordered my from lucky model and then broke down and ordered another when the became available in the states first (it would be nice to know where new kits will be released first btw).  Everything looks amazing except the canopy masks. I don't like that they are not pre-cut. Guess I'll wait on eduard.

Here are some pictures of the Block 125 upgrade on the model. I got the to point you see in the pictures in about an hour's worth of work. This is one of the best fitting models I've ever put together. That it's a Tomcat is even better. Sorry for the picture quality. My daughter has been using my camera and messed with all my settings. Since these were quick pics, I didn't feel like going back and resetting everything.

8996176_orig.jpg

7891260_orig.jpg

7295104_orig.jpg

9106520_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts

2017 IPMS 1/48th Tamiya Grumman F-14A Tomcat category splits

• Best West Coast F-14
  • Best East Coast F-14
  • Best Hi-viz F-14
  • Best Lo-viz F-14
  • Best Iranian 1970-1980's F-14
  • Best Iranian F-14AM
  • Best Block 85 F-14
  • Best Block 95 F-14
  • Best Block 125 F-14
  • Top Cat Award

Man How I wish I could make the 2017 Nationals. I am moving along on my 1st of what I hope will be many F-14's. 

I am about 2/3 through the build. I will say just like the 1/32 corsair the most labor intensive area is the pit. I slaved about a day on it. I have just about finished all the sub-assemblies and should get it all ready for paint by tonight or tomorrow afternoon..here are a few in progress shots. I am off to the hobby room......the show on the 15th is coming fast.

DSCN0074_zpsvkkfnrtu.jpg

DSCN0072_zpsftmcnsb8.jpg

DSCN0067_zps2qydpoxt.jpg

57 minutes ago, viper730 said:

Man How I wish I could make the 2017 Nationals. I am moving along on my 1st of what I hope will be many F-14's. 

I am about 2/3 through the build. I will say just like the 1/32 corsair the most labor intensive area is the pit. I slaved about a day on it. I have just about finished all the sub-assemblies and should get it all ready for paint by tonight or tomorrow afternoon..here are a few in progress shots. I am off to the hobby room......the show on the 15th is coming fast.

DSCN0074_zpsvkkfnrtu.jpg

DSCN0072_zpsftmcnsb8.jpg

DSCN0067_zps2qydpoxt.jpg

Wow, I hope you make your show.  Please enjoy this model!

1 hour ago, gtypecanare said:

2017 IPMS 1/48th Tamiya Grumman F-14A Tomcat category splits

• Best West Coast F-14
  • Best East Coast F-14
  • Best Hi-viz F-14
  • Best Lo-viz F-14
  • Best Iranian 1970-1980's F-14
  • Best Iranian F-14AM
  • Best Block 85 F-14
  • Best Block 95 F-14
  • Best Block 125 F-14
  • Top Cat Award

Top Kitten Award (Junior modeller under 12)

On 10/9/2016 at 5:16 AM, Brian 1 said:

OK, I've got this sheet, which options can I do out of the box? 

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2701-2800/rev2764-Fightertown-ftd48014/00.shtm

Okay, I did some checking. While I didn't find firm proof of a Block 85 jet with the two hole gun vent in VF-1 colors, I found some Block 80-85 airframes (with the normal production beaver tail) in Dave Brown's "Tomcat Alley" book in the same style of VF-1 high vis markings. They are:

159461 #115

159465 #114

159467 #102

BTW, 461 and 467 are on the VF-1 decal sheet you have. These jets have the seven hole gun gas vent, so technically they wouldn't be totally OOB if you modified the Tamiya kit. But you could also ignore that bit and/or fill the original two hole grill on the part and fake the rest with paint and/or decals.

Another possibility is 159841, #101 as seen on the USS Ranger in 1980. It wore all over gull gray and had orange tails and ventral fins, but no nose stripe.

As for other possible examples (VF-1 aircraft numbers unknown and not seen any pictures of them but apparently VF-1 had them at one time or another), they include 159835, 159852 and 159865. I'm sure there likely are others out there. 

55 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

Darren, does block 125 cats (as 161621 miss molly) have the L vertical plates on the base of the tails? any pics? thx.

By that time, it should have had the L shaped plates. It's one of those things that unless you're looking for it, you really can't tell.

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2016 at 1:01 PM, habu2 said:

Couldn't resist any longer - pulled the pre-order trigger :)

4+ months later I am still waiting.  I know I picked their surface shipping option to save on shipping costs, but 130 days seems a bit excessive.

Has anyone else who pre-ordered from Lucky Models back in August received their kit?

36 minutes ago, habu2 said:

4+ months later I am still waiting.  I know I picked their surface shipping option to save on shipping costs, but 130 days seems a bit excessive.

Has anyone else who pre-ordered from Lucky Models back in August received their kit?

I ordered my kit back on 7/30, and when I hadn't received it by the end of Oct, I emailed them asking for a status and letting them know I ordered it on 7/30. The next day I received an email with a shipping notice that it was going out that day, and I received the kit the following week.

I suggest emailing them with the order confirmation number and asking about it's status.

Good luck,

Mike

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

I haven't, I double checked the shipping confirmation the other day and the ETA was January...

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

I pre-ordered mine on 8/31, and they shipped out on 10/25 (remember, Asia got these kits well after the US did).  I just checked the tracking and it is at the last stop before being delivered, so I expect mine to be delivered tomorrow most likely.  You can check on your status as well.  Go to "My Account" at the top right of the Lucky Model homepage, then click on "My Order".  Then Copy (don't click, it is a dead link, at least for me) the tracking number.  Enter (paste) it in Google and select "Track with USPS".  It should tell you where it is.  Works for me at least.

Mi

14 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

I pre-ordered mine on 8/31, and they shipped out on 10/25 (remember, Asia got these kits well after the US did).  I just checked the tracking and it is at the last stop before being delivered, so I expect mine to be delivered tomorrow most likely.  You can check on your status as well.  Go to "My Account" at the top right of the Lucky Model homepage, then click on "My Order".  Then Copy (don't click, it is a dead link, at least for me) the tracking number.  Enter (paste) it in Google and select "Track with USPS".  It should tell you where it is.  Works for me at least.

Mine still show they are in transit so Glad I also bought a few stateside:thumbsup:....Otherwise I'd be  :crying: 

On 12/20/2016 at 11:44 AM, wadeocu said:

Box off of the slow boat from China that set sail on 10/25 arrived at my door yesterday. Ho Ho Ho indeed!

How do I know Santa exists?

Because I'm pretty sure he was sitting on my kits...must be an F-15 guy

IMG_0953_zpstf6ini7i.jpg

IMG_0954_zpsnw4h0nxs.jpg

Looks like the parts inside are okay though thankfully.

Edited by zerosystem

Mine weren't that bad, but they definitely were subject to some rough handling at some point on the trip to my house from HK.  The boxes show lots of wear.  The parts in mine were fine as well.

One thing I am curious about, I bought a kit from here in the US from Scale Hobbyist and the kit was shrink sealed, but the two I got from Lucky were not.  I wonder why that is.  Maybe customs opened the kits?

13 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Mine weren't that bad, but they definitely were subject to some rough handling at some point on the trip to my house from HK.  The boxes show lots of wear.  The parts in mine were fine as well.

One thing I am curious about, I bought a kit from here in the US from Scale Hobbyist and the kit was shrink sealed, but the two I got from Lucky were not.  I wonder why that is.  Maybe customs opened the kits?

I've always heard that shrink-wrapping is something done by distributors and not the kit companies themselves.