Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

yep, shrink wrapping is only done by the distributors.. all original kits from the asian manufacturers come with only the inner bags sealed.

also, i find that if you choose the cheapest shipping (or shipping in general from China and most HK places), the packages will come looking like they've been sat on/dropkicked.

having ordered extensively from Japan (using EMS), the packages always arrive looking like they have been hand delivered by the company.

Edited by glorystomper

My box was beat up too with no damage to contents.  I paid $150 for one tomcat, two meng 1/72 f-106s and one each of the resin detail sets meng produced, shipped.  That's at least $100 off retail.  The way I see it is it's a good way to get builder kits because some scratch and dent is expected.  As long as contents are ok I'm ok.

I'm looking at doing either VF-41 or VF-32 MiG killers from Furball's sheet designed for the Hasagawa kits. I have a couple questions that I haven't found the answers to, either from here or using google.

1) Does anyone know what the loadouts would have been? Would they have carried AIM-54"s. Google is kind enough to provide what each aircraft scored their kill with, but so far I haven't been able to find out anything other than that.

2) I'm good with what I need to do to get the VF-41 Killers done, but what mods need to be done for the VF-32 Killers? (Darren which of your sets do I need?)

3) Has anyone tried decals sized for the Hasagawa kit (the tails in particular) on the Tamiya kit? I'm kinda worried about the VF-32 tail markings and I don't have the sheet yet.

Thanks,

Dave

5 hours ago, SR10user said:

I'm looking at doing either VF-41 or VF-32 MiG killers from Furball's sheet designed for the Hasagawa kits. I have a couple questions that I haven't found the answers to, either from here or using google.

1) Does anyone know what the loadouts would have been? Would they have carried AIM-54"s. Google is kind enough to provide what each aircraft scored their kill with, but so far I haven't been able to find out anything other than that.

2) I'm good with what I need to do to get the VF-41 Killers done, but what mods need to be done for the VF-32 Killers? (Darren which of your sets do I need?)

3) Has anyone tried decals sized for the Hasagawa kit (the tails in particular) on the Tamiya kit? I'm kinda worried about the VF-32 tail markings and I don't have the sheet yet.

Thanks,

Dave

I can answer number 2. If you're going to do Gypsy 207, you'll need the early gun vent and set of tail braces. For 202, all you need are the tail braces. 

8 hours ago, SR10user said:

Thanks,

Dave

I can answer number 1 regarding VF-41 and the Gulf of Sidra encounter with the Su-22's.  Both aircraft had two AIM-9L and two AIM-7F each.  They did not have any drop tanks, Phoenix (AIM-54) or the Phoenix pallets. All missiles were loaded on the wing pylons, station 1 and station 8. Sorry don't have my handy-dandy cheat sheet to make sure I get the station numbers correct, but AIM-7F's were loaded on station's 1 and 8 and the AIM-9L's were loaded on station's 1a and 8a.  This applied to both aircraft.  Both F-14's fired their AIM-9L from station 1a.  IIRC I believe this all happened in 1991.  Scalemaster also has a sheet out in the 3 basic scales covering this event. A pretty good sheet of the event although missing a couple of details that I have covered here. Primarily what was not on the aircraft.  I confirmed the load out info with Capt Dave Venlet (now VAdm) in personal discussions with him on this event.  He was the GIB on one of the F-14's.  I can't recall if we discussed colors, but my best guess would be that all missiles were FS 36375 except for the Sparrow radome, wings and fins and the Sidewinder Guidance Section, canards and AOTD.  If any questions on the info provided please give me shout.  I will be back home on 29 Dec and will have access to my notes.  Merry Christmas!!

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha

8 hours ago, SR10user said:

Hi,

I haven't tried it yet.

Do you have access to Furball Aerodesign's Facebook? On September 4th 2016, Geoff posted a neat comparison drawing that shows both brands' tail and the two overlaid.

In the replies, Daniel PerezVertti shows his VF-142 model and states that it made near as no difference for him.

Cheers, Stefan. 

5 hours ago, hblecha said:

I can answer number 1 regarding VF-41 and the Gulf of Sidra encounter with the Su-22's.  Both aircraft had two AIM-9L and two AIM-7F each.  They did not have any drop tanks, Phoenix (AIM-54) or the Phoenix pallets. All missiles were loaded on the wing pylons, station 1 and station 8. Sorry don't have my handy-dandy cheat sheet to make sure I get the station numbers correct, but AIM-7F's were loaded on station's 1 and 8 and the AIM-9L's were loaded on station's 1a and 8a.  This applied to both aircraft.  Both F-14's fired their AIM-9L from station 1a.  IIRC I believe this all happened in 1991.  Scalemaster also has a sheet out in the 3 basic scales covering this event. A pretty good sheet of the event although missing a couple of details that I have covered here. Primarily what was not on the aircraft.  I confirmed the load out info with Capt Dave Venlet (now VAdm) in personal discussions with him on this event.  He was the GIB on one of the F-14's.  I can't recall if we discussed colors, but my best guess would be that all missiles were FS 36375 except for the Sparrow radome, wings and fins and the Sidewinder Guidance Section, canards and AOTD.  If any questions on the info provided please give me shout.  I will be back home on 29 Dec and will have access to my notes.  Merry Christmas!!

Ciao!!

Henry Blecha

I'm going off of 10 year old memory, but I thought at the Tomcat Sunset symposium, they talked about one of the Sidewinder rails (or was it a Sparrow rail) not working, so they only carried one of these on Fast Eagle 107. Again, I'm going off memory, so that may be incorrect.

Mine finally arrived late yesterday, and apparently delivered by the same Fat Santa.  All kit boxes were crushed to some degree but it appears no actual kit parts were damaged in the process.

On 12/24/2016 at 7:37 AM, zerosystem said:

How do I know Santa exists?

Because I'm pretty sure he was sitting on my kits...must be an F-15 guy

IMG_0953_zpstf6ini7i.jpg

IMG_0954_zpsnw4h0nxs.jpg

Looks like the parts inside are okay though thankfully.

Whoa that's definitely crashed minus burning situation right there. I think sellers should start taking into consideration the integrity of the kits' boxes for shipment and not making excuses all the time that it's the fault of the post offices or couriers, because the money we paid includes the integrity not only of the contents therein but also the outer shell which is the box itself.

On 12/25/2016 at 8:28 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I'm going off of 10 year old memory, but I thought at the Tomcat Sunset symposium, they talked about one of the Sidewinder rails (or was it a Sparrow rail) not working, so they only carried one of these on Fast Eagle 107. Again, I'm going off memory, so that may be incorrect.

It was sta.8A. There was an electrical short. Music only had one sidewinder and two sparrows. I seem to recall both him and Venlet saying they were carrying phoenix missiles on the forward pallets too.

9 hours ago, flybywire said:

Whoa that's definitely crashed minus burning situation right there. I think sellers should start taking into consideration the integrity of the kits' boxes for shipment and not making excuses all the time that it's the fault of the post offices or couriers, because the money we paid includes the integrity not only of the contents therein but also the outer shell which is the box itself.

Well that's just it with these lucky models surface shipping deals.  We really didn't pay anything for shipping.  Mine was packed well with lots of bubble wrap and tape.  I just feel that ocean freight is subject to a lot of forces that no amount of care in packaging can cope with.  If I had received damaged plastic I would feel differently about it but I think some box crushing is to be expected when you pay nothing for shipping across the globe.

On 25/12/2016 at 7:06 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I can answer number 2. If you're going to do Gypsy 207, you'll need the early gun vent and set of tail braces. For 202, all you need are the tail braces. 

The pictures I have seen of Gypsy 202 show the early style gun vent too. That is also what the Furball instructions say.

Jens

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Any idea what was the loadout for both birds? Thks!

For 202 you will need: 7 hole gun vent, tail braces, TCS, standard wheels, and if you want to go all out, the single horizontal boarding step latch.

For 207 you will need: 7 hole gun vent, tail braces, TCS, standard wheels

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
13 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

For 202 you will need: 7 hole gun vent, tail braces, TCS, standard wheels, and if you want to go all out, the single horizontal boarding step latch.

For 207 you will need: 7 hole gun vent, tail braces, TCS, standard wheels

Duh! I should have looked at my Fightertown sheet to see that 202 needed the early vent as well. I'll blame it on old age! LOL!