Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

On 2/5/2017 at 8:02 AM, Mr Matt Foley said:

"Well la-de-freakin'-dah! We got ourselves a writer here!"

Seriously, it was an interesting read and I don't care for some of the other reviews out there...the ones that just provide fluff and no real criticism of something flagrant in the design or otherwise. I can get into sarcasm, but I bet it wont win any favors from the industry. But hey, it's his blog and he can say what whatever he wants.

I bookmarked him and dragged his bookmark to my Modeling fav's right next to ....Phil Flory.

Glad you enjoyed the read. As for winning favors from the industry - that's not why I'm in it at all. The part sandbox, part catharsis, part a small way of giving back. 

22 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I could do without the salty language.

Eh, this again. They're words on a screen. No one is forcing you to read aloud to a class of kindergartners or anything. 

21 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Agreed...enough of the F-Bombs. You lose credibility with your audience.....some of them anyway. One of the best recent arguments against being so hyper-critical was written by Paul Cotcher about the new Fitter kit from Kitty Hawk. It is truly a walk down memory lane.

Well, the tone's not going anywhere. Sometimes I feel like I should pin this to the top of the blog: https://doogsmodels.com/2016/11/16/no/

And...I read that same Paul Cotcher post and have my disagreements with it. Saying a kit is better than the old POS that's the only other kit of the subject is fine, but that doesn't mean it's a *good* kit. Don't want to hijack with that though, so my take is here if you want to read it: https://doogsmodels.com/2017/02/03/judging-kits-and-the-judges-who-judge-them/

As to the F-14 - I just finished it last night, and looking back, in terms of engineering and fit the kit is just about flawless. Not just the fuselage, but even the way the main gear struts or all of the gear bay doors install. It's superb and definitely on part with the level of fit you'll find in their 1/32 Corsair or Wingnut's finest. 

Detail still irks me, though. The cockpit could (should) have been better, and same with the gear bays. Not too in love with the position lights, either. They would certainly have benefited from clear parts. And I'd really love to see SKP bring their PE lens excellence to bear on those lights on the wing gloves. 

All in all - it's a very, very good kit that I think could have easily stepped over into greatness with some slightly better detail treatment. And that I think will get there once aftermarket starts really flowing. 

F-14%2002-05-17%20FINAL-5-X3.jpg

F-14%2002-05-17%20FINAL-25-X3.jpg

5 hours ago, DoogsATX said:

JSBTl.gif

Great article.

Pity it didn't delve into discussions of new kits on modeling forums and the circus that ensues.

"Red Arrow Brigade" - I'm tempted to change my avatar!

But alas, I'm not allowed to critique a kit unless it has already been released, I have the plastic in-hand, conclusive photographic evidence to back up my claim and the time to offer constructive criticism with suggestions to remedy any shortcomings.

:cheers:

P.S. Beautiful F-14 :thumbsup:

Edited by Zactoman
4 hours ago, DoogsATX said:

As to the F-14 - I just finished it last night, and looking back, in terms of engineering and fit the kit is just about flawless. Not just the fuselage, but even the way the main gear struts or all of the gear bay doors install. It's superb and definitely on part with the level of fit you'll find in their 1/32 Corsair or Wingnut's finest. 

Detail still irks me, though. The cockpit could (should) have been better, and same with the gear bays. Not too in love with the position lights, either. They would certainly have benefited from clear parts. And I'd really love to see SKP bring their PE lens excellence to bear on those lights on the wing gloves. 

All in all - it's a very, very good kit that I think could have easily stepped over into greatness with some slightly better detail treatment. And that I think will get there once aftermarket starts really flowing. 

F-14%2002-05-17%20FINAL-5-X3.jpg

F-14%2002-05-17%20FINAL-25-X3.jpg

Haha, I saw your build here, but also on Facebook on F-14 builder page as well as on Reddit

On 2/6/2017 at 10:33 AM, DoogsATX said:

And...I read that same Paul Cotcher post and have my disagreements with it. Saying a kit is better than the old POS that's the only other kit of the subject is fine, but that doesn't mean it's a *good* kit. Don't want to hijack with that though, so my take is here if you want to read it: https://doogsmodels.com/2017/02/03/judging-kits-and-the-judges-who-judge-them/

Doogs, If you were salivating for a Su-17/22 in 1/48th scale 20 years ago, and had to toss in the extra coin for the Cutting Edge accessories to make it a better kit (an additional $75 at least), you would appreciate where Paul and I are coming from. I'll accept your opinion but it will remain subjective. I'll build that Kitty Hawk for much less than years ago and I'm 99% certain it will be more accurate and less frustrating than the old Kopro.

NOTE:  This opens my hurt locker because I later made the Meteor Productions Blacklist...................................

Feet back on the ground, a simple modelling question:

I am just about putting color on a  TCat which has an "unpainted" radome nose. As kit parts do not have a demarcation line for the correct length of this section of the nose I measured out various profiles for the correct length (Tamiya, Wolfpack, the F-14 book by Mr. Lake and others). They all give a different ratio between the overall length of the nose (cover) and the radome-tan section. Does anyone of the dear readers have a hint or advice ?

Regards

Andreas Beck

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/29/2016 at 5:14 PM, viper730 said:

Got my Lucky Model order yesterday. I was expecting the worst but my stuff arrived in perfect condition. My stash is happy....now back to the the model room!!!

How long does it usually take to get to the states via the cheap shipping?

I'm in South Mississippi near New Orleans I placed 2  orders in the Middle/End of Feb. I got one yesterday,  the other will be here tomorrow, so roughly 2 months. They run a $2.00 Surface promotion maybe 4 times a year if you meet a required $ amount.  That is the way to go. If you click the Require Tracking box  when ordering you can track it all the way to your door. The Customs number is Valid at USPS It's something like CPxxxxxxxxxHK. As for the surface promotion Someone here mentioned it and I have been using it for about 2 years now...It's GREAT..and Lucky Models Is really good to deal with. Just make sure the item you order is listed as IN Stock! 

HTH

Wow. How thin are those? I have the Steel Beach resin (too thick) vinyl that are great but don't have the fine riveted detail. Have the Cross Delta on the way. Furball has PE but I haven't seen it. And I know there's another AM company that'll be making really detailed PE that im

excited to see. 

3 hours ago, Solo said:

Do we need Aires' reinforcement plates for tails?

Those do look Great. I have the Furball set and they are a bit thick also. I am adding those to the VF-111 build.. Now  I'd like to see Eduard do them in the ultra thin Steel they started using for the seatbelts...That would be spot on.

On 2/3/2017 at 12:15 AM, Janissary said:

That's really high praise. To keep it fair and balanced, what is the worst part of the build that needs attention. Any place where you say 'next time I build it, I will..." It's OK if there's none. 

Every time I go to my LHS, I see one on the shelf, eye level, looking at me, with a price tag of $99. I fondled the box a few times but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

One thing I'm doing on my 3rd build is adding some white glue soaked rolling paper over the Instrument panel coamings. As is They just look weird as the plastic parts don't have one bit of fabric texture on them. I replicated it a bit with a file and some creative painting on the 2nd kit. It looked okay but this time I took a bit of extra time and added(in progress right now) the paper ones. 

3 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Wow. How thin are those? I have the Steel Beach resin (too thick) vinyl that are great but don't have the fine riveted detail. Have the Cross Delta on the way. Furball has PE but I haven't seen it. And I know there's another AM company that'll be making really detailed PE that im

excited to see. 

I tried to get mine as thin as possible, and it was hard! I'd love to see how thin they got the resin. 

Edited by Darren Roberts
7 hours ago, viper730 said:

I'm in South Mississippi near New Orleans I placed 2  orders in the Middle/End of Feb. I got one yesterday,  the other will be here tomorrow, so roughly 2 months. They run a $2.00 Surface promotion maybe 4 times a year if you meet a required $ amount.  That is the way to go. If you click the Require Tracking box  when ordering you can track it all the way to your door. The Customs number is Valid at USPS It's something like CPxxxxxxxxxHK. As for the surface promotion Someone here mentioned it and I have been using it for about 2 years now...It's GREAT..and Lucky Models Is really good to deal with. Just make sure the item you order is listed as IN Stock! 

HTH

Thanks. I always wondered how long it took, and my compulsive side just wouldn't let me find out. Definitely gonna go that route next time they have the promotion. LM has easily cleared close to $1000 in shipping from me over the past 10 or so years.

16 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I tried to get mine as thin as possible, and it was hard! I'd love to see how thin they got the resin. 

You did a great job! They are innovative and great little pieces. And you're still the only tamiya NACA vents game in town;)

bein