Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

So in the kit's current config, can we build a Tomcat from VF-84, and if so, who currently does AM decals for the F-14A in VF-84 markings? Sorry, but I know next to nothing about the F-14 and what's out there for decals.

Thanks

Brad

So in the kit's current config, can we build a Tomcat from VF-84, and if so, who currently does AM decals for the F-14A in VF-84 markings? Sorry, but I know next to nothing about the F-14 and what's out there for decals.

Thanks

Brad

furball aero designs has a sheet.

https://www.furballaero-design.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=48%2D021

So does that mean the kit can be built in a 1970's version using VF-84 markings? Hi-Vis that is?

Brad

You are correct...sort of. The Tomcats of the early 70's had a different tail area and gun vent. This release can be built as a mid to later 70's jet. I've got a couple of small resin pieces planned that will expand the time frame considerably up through the 80's and back to the early 70's.

Would a VF-41 Gulf of Sidra bird be possible OOB?

Fast Eagle 102 yes, Fast Eagle 107 no. The Tamiya kit has the hexagon shaped tail stiffeners, which 102 had. 107 got the newer inverted L shaped stiffeners. Steel Beach has a vinyl set that contains these, so it would be easy to change them out.

Thanks Darren!

Brad

You are correct...sort of. The Tomcats of the early 70's had a different tail area and gun vent. This release can be built as a mid to later 70's jet. I've got a couple of small resin pieces planned that will expand the time frame considerably up through the 80's and back to the early 70's.

From this kit, if I am interpreting it right, you can build a Block 85 jet on up (at least buer #159615 forward) out of the box until the "L" stiffeners began appearing in the fleet. Going back, you could do a Block 75 jet if you have access to a seven hole gun gas vent (jet #159421 being the earliest documented with a two hole/grill vent). Before that, you get into the wide early beaver tail jets. It looks as though the stiffeners began to appear on factory jets in the Block 110 batch from 1980. The "L" shaped stiffeners came into the fleet around late 1980-1981. Iran's jets never got them because the revolution occurred in 1979, but they likely didn't need them given all their aircraft were land based and weren't subject to the same stress cracking from hard landings that Navy jets had.

After that, it becomes a matter of adding lumps and bumps for ECM and chaff/flare dispensers, items which likely could get scrounged from appropriate 1990s or later production Monogram/Revell F-14A kits. Of course if one wants to build an Iranian jet from the kit, it means adding an open IFR probe bay as the Iranians removed the doors to keep them from getting knocked off by tanker baskets. The doors as far as I know were on the jets for their ferry flights though.

Thanks for the details Black Lion VF-213 !

I figured that CDR E.W. Brown was the CAG during the FCD filming? The DVD-extras tell his story and he is pictured in the cruisebook 79-80.

Why is there always a modex 200 for a VF-84?

It is simply boring.

Is it so hard to add 202 and 203?

W_zps1pinwi4h.jpg

Now the Tamiya seems perfect oke here I go... why this? The same with the 1/32 and as a teenager I didn't like it!

Seems fine here.

AJ02_zpst3tbmexn.jpg

Edited by cag_200

Well, to be honest .. in the FCD 202 and 203 chase the O's after the Gatsby boat ID.

A sheet which provides the BuNo's would turn in a lovely building story.

Modex 210 would be fun too.

Besides that, a 1981-82 VF-84, one with the smaller US insignia used would look nice aswell.

No one did a Final Countdown sheet :rolleyes:/>

Always the same boring 160393.

Edited by cag_200

Oh, man. That Afterburner sheet has been OOP for a LONG time now. Last time I saw it on ebay it bid up to >$100. I kept telling myself when it was released I'd get it and never did. Shame, because VF-84's disbandment scheme is a favorite.

Edited by Swordsman422

I've got that sheet and used one scheme off it. I might have to put it up on eBay! :D Actually, I ended up not using the main markings with yellow. The color that's printed is too orangy. It just doesn't look right. I don't know if AB told Cartograph the wrong color or if Cartograph printed the wrong color.

I thought Tamiya's kit was only buildable to a 1970's jet?

Brad

Let me clarify. The kit represents jets that were produced in the mid to late 70's, but they were still in service well into the 80's. What you have to look for is the gun vent with two grills, the alpha probe on the nose, small ALQ-100 antenna under the nose (no TCS), and lack of ECM blisters under the wing glove and on the rear fuselage. Here's a picture to illustrate what the Tamiya kit CAN'T be built as.

5383509_orig.jpg

With that said, the Tamiya kit is set up for different variants. The big question is when it will happen. I'll be releasing some resin pieces that will include the items circled in red.

I'll definitely buy one for me. I am anxious.

Anyway I would like to build an early old cat with beavertail and ventilation early cannon, etc.

Especially when you have several cats in your workbench.

They are small changes that tell the whole story of the plane.

Their F-16s were set up to built as different variants as well. We saw 3, ish.

Yeah, Tamiya is famous of late for keeping their engineering open-ended for other variants, but their follow-through has been spotty to non existent. So people, all I'm saying is don't go forward thinking there will be further variants, only that the possibility is there. :pray:/>

Marc B.