Dremel power tool..

I am looking for any information about Dremel power tools.

In your experience...

What are the benefits between having a corded Dremel model or a Dremel re-chargeable one?

Dremel makes many different corded/re-chargeable models it's hard to know if one type is better than the other.

Pro's cons?

Thanks.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I use both depending on the application.

I like their Mini-mite cordless one for general tasks that are typically of short duration, I also use it on low for stirring paint and polishing clear parts and for NMF prep.

I use a corded one for things like grinding resin stubs, cutting metal, household tasks, etc. Mine is a Black&Decker one that's far cheaper than the Dremel corded one. I don't see any value in buying the Dremel branded corded one.

I usually get a few years out of one no matter the brand, I have a problem with dropping them when using them while on a ladder, if it hits the ground when running then it's done for. That said I've been lucky with the B&D one I have, I've had to rewire the cord where it enters the body due to fraying but that's it.

Ken

I once had a Dremel cordless, but felt it didn't have enough torque to handle non-modeling uses, such as grinding down steel. And it's pretty frustrating when the battery dies in the middle of a project. After it burned out I then got a Dremel corded one and picked up a voltage regulator at Harbor Freight to slow down the speed of the Dremel for plastic work. Really helps prevent plastic from melting when grinding or polishing.

I also picked up a small private-label rotary tool set at Harbor Freight, but it's so cheaply made and the motor is so wimpy that I can barely find any uses for it. The only thing worth keeping was some of the attachments/bits. But even the sanding bands were so cheaply made that if you tried to sand or grind something, the abrasive coating would just fall off and you'd be left with a cardboard core that would eventually fall apart. I've found much of Harbor Freight's stuff to follow the "you get what you pay for" adage.

You're better off buying a high quality product even if more expensive because it will last you years if not decades. Cheap stuff often don't even get their first job done.

The Dremel mini-mite cordless is not really intended to be a replacement for the corded one, it's more for fine work of a short duration, I've used it to cut and deburr hypo tubing and it works fine but I wouldn't use it grind large amounts.

Remember too on the voltage regulator that you have to use it with the single-speed tool, using it on a multi-speed tool will damage the motor.

Thanks everyone.

I would mostly be using the tool for cutting/grinding/removing large resin blocks from parts. From what you are saying, the cordless tool does not have the power to handle resin block removal? Would a variable speed model be a good choice?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I would mostly be using the tool for cutting/grinding/removing large resin blocks from parts. From what you are saying, the cordless tool does not have the power to handle resin block removal? Would a variable speed model be a good choice?

Depends, how large and how many? If you're cutting off the blocks from ejection seats or a small cockpit it will work fine. Doing a big stack of blocks at once? Probably won't get by on a single charge.

To minimize cutting with the motor tool I usually remove as much as I can with a coping saw then use the motor tool to finesse the removal and fit. Less mess that way.

Ken

I've got both, but I've had and used the corded unit for quite some time. The only reason that I bought the battery powered unit is that the store(?) where I bought it was practically giving them away. The battery powered unit has come in handy a few times, but if I could only have one, it would definitely be the corded unit. I don't used either one for fine work, but they can sure remove a lot of resin/plastic in a very short period of time. Just be careful when you get close to doing your finish work. Slow it down a bit, because besides removing plastic, it also melts plastic. If you aren't paying attention, it can get away from you in a hurry. Good Luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

For my uses, I have a cordless mini-mite. I also have a corded one with variable speed, but it is currently out of commission due to a shaft breakage. The mini-mite does what I need though since I primarily work with plastic and not much else (only once in a great while might I cut a piece of music wire with it). What I use it for mostly is plastic cutting and/or grinding on model parts themselves. Plus I have used it successfully with engraving tips for paint scraping on science fiction models. Anything that spins faster in my experience has a tendency to turn plastic into the consistency of whipped cream. But for heavier duty cutting, you need something with more torque.

Big thing to keep in mind if you are looking for a Mini-mite, they are getting scarce. The unit I believe is still around, but extra battery packs are no longer made and the original charger is gone too (they replaced it with a better charger that can be used on the 4.8V packs or 7.2V packs, but even that one is discontinued as I got the last one I could find locally in Omaha when my original charger died). I think it is possible to replace the batteries in the battery pack separately though and I may resort to doing that if I burn out my current pack.

I once had a Dremel cordless, but felt it didn't have enough torque to handle non-modeling uses, such as grinding down steel.

This really makes me ask what applications you're going to use your Dremel for. I find that a cordless one is plenty for 99% of the modeling work I do. I actually have 3 rotary tools, thanks to yard sales and such. I use the Stylus, with the pistol grip, for most of my modeling applications. It works at a nice low speed, and is nicely controllable. But it doesn't have a lot of muscle for bigger jobs. If there's something that requires more torque or a higher speed, I use my Multi-Pro (it's a Mini-Mite with a bigger battery.) That handles just about everything else I do on my workbench. I also have a corded "Handi Works" model that really only gets taken out if I'm doing non-modeling stuff, like cutting a screw or a lot of drilling.

If you're going to buy only one for a modeling workbench, I recommend a Mini-Mite or the Multi-Pro. It's a good middle ground. Check yard sales or thrift shops, and you can sometimes get them cheaply enough to try a couple different ones.

By the way, for micro-drilling, use a pin vice, not the Dremel. Even a weak motor tool will break the tiny drill bits.

I have 3 Dremel tools on my hobby desk - two corded models (1 w/no speed control, 1 with and 1 battery powered unit). A friend gave me an original Dremel foot controller which had belonged to his mother and it works great. The battery powered unit I found at Wally World - It was being sold as a "Golf Club Cleaner" for the price of 20 bucks. I got an extra battery & charger from a buddy who managed to run over his battery powered unit in his garage. And as far as breaking drill bits, run them at low speeds, keep them vertical while in use and (the way I tend to break most of them) be careful how you put the the tool down when you are finished!

Edited by Hawk10

I have both but i havent used my corded one ever since i got the dremel micro 8050

Its amazing and really small, battery ladt very long too

Hey Neo,

Are you having issues with your charger with the 8050? I too have this Dremel tool and I love it but getting it to charge reliably has been an ongoing issue.