I have seen some absolutely insane prices on Amazon. Up to 400 dollars for common 1/72 kits.

On the other hand, I picked up the Cyber Hobby 1/72 Helldiver for 12 bucks, free shipping, and the Trumpeter 1/700 Roosevelt for less then $50, free shipping.

Of course, I haven't built either one yet.

Harry

Lutz, FL

Does anyone have any insight into the reasoning behind some of the insane prices on Amazon? I've seen $60 kits being sold for over $300 for no good reason. Always good for a laugh.

John

To be completely honest and fair, there are some real steals to be found on Amazon too. Yes, some sellers ask crazy stupid prices for whatever reason (no different then EBay really). How they sell their items is beyond me but hey, whatever. But then there are some selling kits for cheaper then online hobby shops. For example, I get my Bandai Star Wars kits from U.S. based sellers for way cheaper then anywhere else, including buying them from Asian sellers. I would say the I now buy close to half my new kits from Amazon. In fact, I have regularly been buying my supplies from Amazon sellers for cheaper then at online hobby shops. Here's something that I notice about Amazon though, you have to check regularly if there is a kit you are interested in. You might check today for a certain kit and the best you can do is say $60, which isn't a deal. But then you might check two days from now and the same kit is now $30...DEAL! Or, you might check and your kit isn't on Amazon at all. Then you check back a few days later and BINGO! There is no rhyme nor reason which can be irritating but patience and regular checking does pay off more then not in my experience.

:cheers:

I bought a new Tamiya 1/48 P-47M from Amazon the other day for CAD$32 including shipping from Japan. Now beat that!

I m not however, totally satisfied buying from Amazon other than books. I had to return couple of toys for my child as they were broken in shipping because they were badly packaged. Then I bought a 'brand new' trimmer at a reasonably good price. It was shipped and sold by Amazon. When it arrived, its box was broken as it seemed someone forced it open. Not just that, it had hair shavings stuck in its blades which means it was returned. This should have never happened. They should not have shipped a used item with hygiene issues when I ordered a 'new'.

Other than books, this might be my last buy at Amazon.

• 3 months later...

Last week the polar lights 1/1000 refit Enterprise was selling at the cheapest for $59.00 plus shipping not as a prime vendor.  Earlier this week I found it for $23.50 Prime shipping included, at my house in two days.  You just have to keep looking.

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2016 at 6:18 AM, jgrease said:

Does anyone have any insight into the reasoning behind some of the insane prices on Amazon? I've seen $60 kits being sold for over $300 for no good reason. Always good for a laugh.

John

Sellers have an algorithm price matching system. So when something get listed for $40 from seller B and seller B's is $35 it will match seller A and so on. This is about the only answer I have other then software issue or user error listing the item.

Lisa

some of the best deals i have found on amazon include:

Bandai 1/48 Xwing for $50 (usually $100) shipped.

Academy F-15 Seymour Johnson for $15 shipped.

Special Hobby Buckeye 1/48 for $15 shipped.

Hobby boss A-10 2 seater $40 shipped.

there are some really good deals to be had in amazon just need to be on the look out.