What is this on the Tomcat wing?

Okay just asking here and not trying to be funny but I honestly don't know. How can you tell it is D model Tomcat? I would think serial number would indicate but not visible as far as I can see. I see the glove vanes are filled in so not an early A plus the colour scheme says a little later in life.

Again just asking the question since my F-14 knowledge is not super like Darren's :)/>

The VF-2 markings and lack of glove vanes told me this was a D.

The VF-2 insignia on the vertical stab gives it away as Delta. Being a maintainer I can see one or two really really tiny differences in that pic, but they are so ridiculously small that frankly they aren't worth mentioning...

Honestly when this pic was posted I checked to see if Bullet 104 had ever been a remanufactured F-14A (if the wing rivet was strictly an A thing, then the rivet may have carried over), but it is either 164351 or 163900 depending on the date the pic was taken.

**EDIT** the Bureau Number of the jet in the picture is 163900. I managed to get a chance to zoom in on the tail, and noticed the "Last Cruise" writing is just visible on the stab...

Please tell the small differences! I love to know little things like that.

Please tell the small differences! I love to know little things like that.

Seconded! This site has to be the greatest pooling of Tomcat knowledge I've ever known of, so it would be great to find out more.

Thanks for the info guys. Always good to increase my Tomcat knowledge :thumbsup:

I too would not mind knowing what the tiny indicators in the photos indicates it is a D. I believe you can tell from the nose when you see the gun vents right?

Thanks for the info guys. Always good to increase my Tomcat knowledge :thumbsup:/>

I too would not mind knowing what the tiny indicators in the photos indicates it is a D. I believe you can tell from the nose when you see the gun vents right?

Not unless you can see the seats. The NACA gun vent first appeared on the B, then the D, and was retrofitted to the A. If you can see the seats, you'll know it's a D if it has the NACES seats, which don't have the yellow/black striped face curtain rings. If it's got the rings, it could either be a late A or B. The only way to tell if you can't see the exhaust nozzles is if the glove vane is present. A's visibly had them and B's had them puttied over.

Not unless you can see the seats. The NACA gun vent first appeared on the B, then the D, and was retrofitted to the A. If you can see the seats, you'll know it's a D if it has the NACES seats, which don't have the yellow/black striped face curtain rings. If it's got the rings, it could either be a late A or B. The only way to tell if you can't see the exhaust nozzles is if the glove vane is present. A's visibly had them and B's had them puttied over.

The chin pod gives it away, too...

I'm in the process of doctoring a couple pics I have, to show you what I mean in the way of subtle differences. I'll post in a few.

The chin pod gives it away, too...

I'm in the process of doctoring a couple pics I have, to show you what I mean in the way of subtle differences. I'll post in a few.

Excellent! Of course you're correct about the chin pod. I was thinking of just a canopy/intake shot.

Here are the two things on the glove vane that make a Delta a Delta:

1. There is a "boot" that is applied to the skin of the leading edge. It is so subtle that you will miss it unless you know it's there- then you'll always see it. Every single F-14D has it. The screw holes in the panel above it are far more prominent because they have more material to go through.

100_0057aa_zpstwyiaiw1.jpg

2. There is an extra panel on the edge of the glove vane. Once again, every F-14D has it.

100_0061aa_zps2ilr1jve.jpg

Told you it wasn't much... but when you know what to look for, you notice it:

100_0764_zpspetrx13v.jpg

You might be interested to know that AMK have all these on the F-14D kit.

:thumbsup:/>/>

Martin, if you're upping the ante on this kit's detail, then I'll be inspecting the cockpit control boxes to make sure you got them right! :D/>

Edited by Neeko