Anyone spooled up for the summer Olympics?

Not quite... The 100th anniversary games were in Atlanta in 1996 (1st modern Olympics were held in Athens in 1896). The last Athens games were held in 2004.

My memory is playing up, and you're right - Greece was given the 2004 Games because it didn't get the 1996 Games.

Am I excited about the Summer Olympic Games, or 5 minuites of sport followed by 25 minuites of bloviating, bigmouthed, potato-brained "sportscasters" and commercials.....nope.

Sorry, couldn't help myself......

Am I excited about the Summer Olympic Games, or 5 minuites of sport followed by 25 minuites of bloviating, bigmouthed, potato-brained "sportscasters" and commercials.....nope.

It's basically that^ interrupted by a well edited 5 minute clip of the end of the event.

I hate it when the olympic events get in the way of the olympics, now give me a 10 minute tragic back story please

It's basically that^ interrupted by a well edited 5 minute clip of the end of the event.

I hate it when the olympic events get in the way of the olympics, now give me a 10 minute tragic back story please

If you ready to hear opinion form Russia - Olympic games were lost its clear sport spirit after Pier D'Cuberten times.

Now it is politics games, pharmaceutics games, TV-commercial games, but not ancient Greece times Olympic games.

Any sporsman from any country won't be able to reach though some considerable results without medicamentous support, only one questions is which medicamentous is yet legal now.

Just my 2 cents from Russia, where nowhere without mildoniy. :taunt:

S9IgsLAGwdw.jpg

I will watch it when "weathering" is an event.

My god, think of the judging scandals that might go along with that. The commentary would never stop.

My god, think of the judging scandals that might go along with that. The commentary would never stop.

Those Rooski's would inevitably win the gold. But would they be legitimate weathering techniques?

Hmmm....

The injustice of it all...

13923884_10154495647263606_7536591350956429072_o_zpsf96fr63y.jpg

So has this 34 year old Russian pole vaulter, who has never been either accused of, or implicated in any type of doping or cheating. Two time olympic gold medalist, three time World Champion, IAAF Female Athlete of the Year in 2004, 2005, 2008. Completely clean record. Frankly, I feel very strongly that an injustice has been committed, and I am not even Russian. I have no problem with banning everyone ever found guilty of doping, but that is not what is happening here. I have a very serious problem with collective punishment that victimise the innocent. It has no place in modern society.

402px-Isinbayeva_Berlin_2009.jpg

Steroids are a funny subject. The public wants to see increibdle. The people who make money on the olympics, want to give the public what it wants to keep making money. It takes drugs to get the incredible.

Then an athlete "shockingly" gets caught doing steroids and the public is super duper unhappy. The people who made the money already throw the athlete under the bus and keep the money. It's all the athletes fault!! Even though all the athletes were using steriods, and this one for "whatever reason" got caught!

So has this 34 year old Russian pole vaulter, who has never been either accused of, or implicated in any type of doping or cheating. Two time olympic gold medalist, three time World Champion, IAAF Female Athlete of the Year in 2004, 2005, 2008. Completely clean record. Frankly, I feel very strongly that an injustice has been committed,

You mean "this 34 year old Russian pole vaulter who hasn't been caught yet"?

I'm typically not a fan of collective punishment but in this case, it is completely appropriate and indeed, should have been expanded. I get that athletes are always looking for an edge and if "you aren't cheating, you aren't trying" (Go Pats!) but given that the Russian state not only encouraged this doping but actually aided and abetted the process, I think collective punishment is fitting.

Sucks being a clean Russian athlete (I'm sure there are a few out there) but maybe they will work to change their broken system and be in better shape for the next Olympics.

Sucks being a clean Russian athlete (I'm sure there are a few out there) but maybe they will work to change their broken system and be in better shape for the next Olympics.

They are all doping the Russians just got caught. Wait, they didn't get caught. They had a snitch inform on them or the olympic committee would be just as clueless on them as they are on everyone else. The "clean" athletes competing right now.

We are talking about doping on a national level. An entire system created to beat the system. It's insanely nieve to think only the Russians are doing this, and yet other nations are placing even higher than them. I always get a laugh when the 3rd and 4th place folks get busted for doping... yes surely the 1st and 2nd place was just a gallon of water a day and 8 hours of sleep.

Exit thought: how much better is China's doping system?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

They are all doping the Russians just got caught. Wait, they didn't get caught. They had a snitch inform on them or the olympic committee would be just as clueless on them as they are on everyone else. The "clean" athletes competing right now.

We are talking about doping on a national level. An entire system created to beat the system. It's insanely nieve to think only the Russians are doing this, and yet other nations are placing even higher than them. I always get a laugh when the 3rd and 4th place folks get busted for doping... yes surely the 1st and 2nd place was just a gallon of water a day and 8 hours of sleep.

Exit thought: how much better is China's doping system?

Agreed to a point but do you really suggest that the US, Australian, etc governments are providing support for doping as the Russian government was? Hell, the US government can't keep important national security information secret. How long would it have taken for the story to break that the FBI is helping US athletes pass drug tests?

Also agree that if left to it's own devices, the Olympic committee would have much preferred to just ban a couple of token athletes and sweep the rest under the carpet.

My guess is that China is doing something similar to the Russians, they just haven't been caught yet.

Agreed to a point but do you really suggest that the US, Australian, etc governments are providing support for doping as the Russian government was? Hell, the US government can't keep important national security information secret. How long would it have taken for the story to break that the FBI is helping US athletes pass drug tests?

Also agree that if left to it's own devices, the Olympic committee would have much preferred to just ban a couple of token athletes and sweep the rest under the carpet.

My guess is that China is doing something similar to the Russians, they just haven't been caught yet.

Speaking generally and at the risk of getting in trouble fast, the more totalitarian the regime, the more entrenched and state run the doping is. The US in some sports doesn't even pay its athletes so they have to work their job and compete as a hobby. Not so a country like best Korea. In other free market countries the biggest and strongest go into sports that pay millions of dollars. That's not really an option there. So NK gov. Says play ball or else, and the or else is no fun. Best Korea has a reputation to maintain. The state takes great interest in their success. The US doesn't care if we have the world's best oly lifters, clearly as we see.

So just like in real life you see more collective societies doping with state help and in the west, more individuals making the "choice" to dope or not. (In some cases having to pay for their own drugs!)

Whats amazing though is these countries still "doping" or "not caught doping" sure manage to compete at or near the same level.

Amazing coincidences. Lastly about doping it's not a "short cut" athletes still train their butts off for years of their life and it's just one more thing that has be done and managed and timed in order to bear fruit after years of hard work. It's not like shouldering 200 kilos is "easy" no matter how you slice it.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat