Anyone spooled up for the summer Olympics?

Jealous of what??? A bunch of ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful twats, sorry not jealous at all and why is it that you Americans always play the "jealously card" every time someone speaks out against something USA?

They have disrespected their hosts, they have embarrassed the country that they represent, and have shown that they have completely no regard for the whole ethos/spirit of the Olympic Games. As you correctly state the incident didn't have any effect on the outcome of the race, and their effort in the pool was worthy of the Gold, but their attitude and behavior out of the pool doesn't. As long as you're representing your country during the 2 weeks of competition you respect your hosts, fellow competitors and behave accordingly both on and off the field/pool/track, that goes for every competitor from every country.

Did they win those races?

If attitude and sportsmanship mattered, Hope Solo would be banned for life.

These swimmers are hardly the first athletes...Olympic or otherwise...to act like flaming idiots. Pretty much every Nation has a jerk athlete or two (...or more). It doesn't matter if they are Olympic, professional, semi-pro or whatever there always has been and always will be athletes who think they are above everyone else and can act as they see fit without repercussions. Nothing new and nothing shocking and right or wrong society either turns a blind eye or frankly doesn't care. Bottom line they won their event fair and square then went out a partied hard (again nothing new for many athletes after winning a medal or championship). In their case they partied a little too hard and made some mistakes (once again, nothing new) and got themselves into trouble. At some point they will have to answer for what they did if the authorities deem it necessary. What that may be I have no idea and frankly I couldn't care less. Is what they did worthy of stripping their gold medals? Far be it from me to judge. But indeed some will want their pound of flesh and scream for it...others will say what they did occurred after their event and after their role in the Olympics was over so the medals shouldn't be affected. Time will tell. Suffice it to say their reputations are tarnished and I bet any endorsement money these swimmers may have had is gone and odds are no new ones will be forthcoming. Strip them of their medals or let them keep them...my life doesn't change either way.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Don

Jealous of what??? A bunch of ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful twats, sorry not jealous at all and why is it that you Americans always play the "jealously card" every time someone speaks out against something USA?

[/Quote]

What is it with you gunning for Americans? This isn't the first time in this thread.

They have disrespected their hosts, they have embarrassed the country that they represent, and have shown that they have completely no regard for the whole ethos/spirit of the Olympic Games. As you correctly state the incident didn't have any effect on the outcome of the race, and their effort in the pool was worthy of the Gold, but their attitude and behavior out of the pool doesn't. As long as you're representing your country during the 2 weeks of competition you respect your hosts, fellow competitors and behave accordingly both on and off the field/pool/track, that goes for every competitor from every country.

You realize this stuff happens all the time and these guys just happeNed to get busted?

Partying too much in Rio?? Truly the worst thing to happen in summer Olympic history. It's not really a party town I know.

There are many accounts of the goings on in Olympic village and with the athletes, it's not a church. These aren't chaste monks. So who's medals are we confiscating for what and who decides?

Good God now the Americans have embarrassed these pristine and perfect and totally not corrupt Rio olympics? I'm green with envy, swimming pool green. Maybe the US swimmers didn't think Brazil would notice more human excrement that have been a focal point of these games?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

What is it with you gunning for Americans? This isn't the first time in this thread.

Get over yourself please. I don't have any problems with Americans except for the ones that think they are above everyone else.

You realize this stuff happens all the time and these guys just happeNed to get busted?

Partying too much in Rio?? Truly the worst thing to happen in summer Olympic history. It's not really a party town I know.

There are many accounts of the goings on in Olympic village and with the athletes, it's not a church. These aren't chaste monks. So who's medals are we confiscating for what and who decides?

Nothing to do with the guys going out and getting drunk(after years of training they deserve it), it's not even down to them trashing the toilet. However when you start to blame and accuse the locals/hosts of armed robbery to try and cover up their childish behavior that is when the tide turns, also bear in mind that these guys were sober when they started the false accusations and were well aware of what they were doing. These guys are Olympic champions, about time they started to act like one instead of spineless thugs, and until they do they don't deserve to wear an Olympic medal around their necks.

I just don't see this as an IOC or Olympic issue. With all of the other things the IOC has to deal with/should be dealing with this ranks pretty low IMO. Besides, as has already been pointed out, these aren't the first athletes to raise a little h€ll in sport, Olympics and professional and they sure won't be the last. I see this as a USA Swim Team, USA Olympic Committee, and Brazilian Law Enforcement issue. The U.S organizations will sanction these athletes as they see fit (I doubt any of these swimmers will represent the U.S. at the Olympics again) and should the Brazilian Law Enforcement agencies wish to pursue the matter further they will. If its the supposed tainted image this event places on the Olympics that has some folks getting uppity about...well this ranks VERY low on the priority list of an IOC that is fraught with corruption! The IOC does a good job on its own making itself look bad. This incident is peanuts.

EIT: spelling.

^^^ :doh: ^^^...EDITING my spelling EDIT... :lol:...I give up... :P

Edited by Don

Get over yourself please. I don't have any problems with Americans except for the ones that think they are above everyone else.

[/Quote]

Which is all of them, as you said:

why is it that you AMERICANS always play the "jealously card" every time someone speaks out against something USA?

Nothing to do with the guys going out and getting drunk(after years of training they deserve it), it's not even down to them trashing the toilet. However when you start to blame and accuse the locals/hosts of armed robbery to try and cover up their childish behavior that is when the tide turns, also bear in mind that these guys were sober when they started the false accusations and were well aware of what they were doing. These guys are Olympic champions, about time they started to act like one instead of spineless thugs, and until they do they don't deserve to wear an Olympic medal around their necks.

It's a stupid mistake that they should pay for but since it had precisely zero effect on their Olympic performance they're medals should stay no matter how much you try and take away their performance after decades of training.

You've been complaining this whole thread and are simply looking for witches. This incident is nothing more than a chance to get up on the high horse and feel superior upto and including throwing a whole nation under the bus with stereotypes, as you were before this even happened and accused all the US teams of doping.

It's utterly transparent to everyone but yourself. Can't wait to see the next target of manufactured outrage brought onto the Yankee superiority complex

Allow me to summarize. You were complaining before this about Americans. You are complaining now about Americans and you will be complaining again in the future I have no doubt. And spoiler alert --they aren't going to lose their medals, nor should they. This "scorched earth" policy of internet justice is simply too much. One second you are talking about how the whole thing is a farce because of doping, the next it's off the grid post event antics undermining the whole thing.

They should go through proper legal processes and pay the penalty. But not be deprived of previously earned awards that have nothing to do with the competition save for your desire for moral purity of Internet sports crusaders

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

OK,OK. Perhaps a little breather is on order. No need to argue and bicker about who killed who. This is a joyous occasion. No defense for their stupidity. I'm sure whatever punishment is given it will be over and forgotten soon and the next "important" issue will come along. This horse be dead.

Bill

Top job Chloe in the Pentathlon, got her self up from 7th to Gold Medal, largely due to her accurate shooting. Comeback of the year!

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/olympics-australia/australias-chloe-esposito-wins-shock-gold-at-rio-olympics-in-modern-pentathlon-20160819-gqx5so.html

We are doing well in all our poorly funded fringe sports, and getting whooped in all the things we throw buckets of $'s at.

The U.S organizations will sanction these athletes as they see fit (I doubt any of these swimmers will represent the U.S. at the Olympics again)

I doubt that they'll carry it that far. Four years is a long time for those swimmers to "redeem" themselves. Remember when Phelps was busted smoking marijuana? All that he received was a couple of endorsement losses and a three month suspension from USA Swimming. Granted that Lochte's little crapper malfunction may be a little more serious, he isn't as highly sought after like Phelps was. Being that Phelps has declared that he is retiring from swimming, They'll look to Lochte to take his place (if he qualifies during swim quals in 2020)

He'll pay a big fine and get a year long suspension.

Which is all of them, as you said:

why is it that you AMERICANS always play the "jealously card" every time someone speaks out against something USA?

Americans, plural of American, which means more that one, it doesn't mean all

You've been complaining this whole thread and are simply looking for witches. This incident is nothing more than a chance to get up on the high horse and feel superior upto and including throwing a whole nation under the bus with stereotypes, as you were before this even happened and accused all the US teams of doping.

My first post in this 6 page thread was on page 4(so hardly complaining the whole thread) , I've since made 5 posts and not one of them has accused any US Team/athelete of doping. I did however mention athletes of past and one still current that have been found guilty of doping. As for throwing a whole nation under a bus and stereotyping, isn't that what you think of the Russians?

Allow me to summarize. You were complaining before this about Americans. You are complaining now about Americans and you will be complaining again in the future I have no doubt. One second you are talking about how the whole thing is a farce because of doping, the next it's off the grid post event antics undermining the whole thing.

Never complained about Americans, merely stated that your country and athletes aren't any better than anyone else, and I never said anything about the games being a farce, that was left to you. Seems that it's not only your swimmers that are good at fabricating stories and false accusations, so much maybe you should try out for the team next time round.

Any chance of getting back to the Olympics rather than country bashing?

The way I see it is Ryan Lochte and the others did a stupid thing and Ryan made up a story to tell his mum. His mum then tells the media and Ryan and the others have to spin greater yarns to cover up - tangled web weaving - which seals their fates.

As far as I am concerned this reflects badly on Ryan Lochte and not on the rest of the USA Olympic Team or anyone else in the USA.

Meanwhile GB is second on the medals table with perhaps a few more golds to come - woo hoo!!!!

:cheers:

Darius

I doubt that they'll carry it that far. Four years is a long time for those swimmers to "redeem" themselves. Remember when Phelps was busted smoking marijuana? All that he received was a couple of endorsement losses and a three month suspension from USA Swimming. Granted that Lochte's little crapper malfunction may be a little more serious, he isn't as highly sought after like Phelps was. Being that Phelps has declared that he is retiring from swimming, They'll look to Lochte to take his place (if he qualifies during swim quals in 2020)

He'll pay a big fine and get a year long suspension.

I think a lot of it will come down to what the Brazilian Authorities do. If they pursue the issue I think he's done as the ever important endorsements will be hard to come by. If they decide it's not worth it then this whole thing is forgotten next week and he may be back for 2020. Honestly though, either way I couldn't care less.

:cheers:

Americans, plural of American, which means more that one, it doesn't mean all

ummm no, when you use that phrase it is considered all encompassing, not a pluralization. Why can't you Scots understand that?

My first post in this 6 page thread was on page 4(so hardly complaining the whole thread)

my mistake, I should have said "all of your posts in this thread" (even though they only started on page 4.)

I've since made 5 posts and not one of them has accused any US Team/athelete of doping. I did however mention athletes of past and one still current that have been found guilty of doping.

So when you said:

Funny how the Olympics don't mean that much to the Americans now that they are made to work for their medals, and remember that the biggest drugs cheat and sports con artist of all time is Lance Armstrong so the USA should've been banned from all sports for 25 yrs.

that didn't mean anything? Oh well, what counts is, we are clean according to you, and winning by a landslide. Working for the medals is going great. :thumbsup:/>/>

As for throwing a whole nation under a bus and stereotyping, isn't that what you think of the Russians?

I guess the The Olympic committee was just stereotyping right along with me. Do we know why the Russians are in the headlines? Do we understand why the Olympic committee is unhappy with them?

Never complained about Americans, merely stated that your country and athletes aren't any better than anyone else,

Where on earth would we get the notion are athletes are better? If only there was a way we could measure our athletes via an international competition, and compare them to everyone else... oh wait!

current Medal count (gold, silver, bronze, total):

United States 38 35 32 105

GB 25 22 14 61

China 22 18 25 65

Germany 16 9 14 39

Russia 13 16 19 48

Japan 12 8 21 41

France 9 15 14 38

Australia 8 11 10 29

Italy 8 11 6 25

Netherlands 8 6 4 18

Welcome to the Scotthldr Olympics, where only character counts and the medals don't mean anything!

You do understand the Olympics is actually designed to find the worlds best athletes and you know... rank them from best to least best?

Seems that it's not only your swimmers that are good at fabricating stories and false accusations, so much maybe you should try out for the team next time round.

nice try. :thumbsup:/>

Look youve made your feelings known on the Americans, don't stop now.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

As far as I am concerned this reflects badly on Ryan Lochte and not on the rest of the USA Olympic Team or anyone else in the USA.

Exactly, however it seems that Taiidan Tomcat thinks that if anyone speaks out about anything concerning the USA then you must hate all Americans and everything American :bandhead2:

I guess the The Olympic committee was just stereotyping right along with me. Do we know why the Russians are in the headlines? Do we understand why the Olympic committee is unhappy with them?

But the IOC didn't apply a blanket ban to the entire Russian team. They made it a lot more difficult for Russians to compete, but didn't call them all cheaters. Here is the main part of their statement:

Under these exceptional circumstances, Russian athletes in any of the 28 Olympic summer sports have to assume the consequences of what amounts to a collective responsibility in order to protect the credibility of the Olympic competitions, and the “presumption of innocence” cannot be applied to them. On the other hand, according to the rules of natural justice, individual justice, to which every human being is entitled, has to be applied. This means that each affected athlete must be given the opportunity to rebut the applicability of collective responsibility in his or her individual case.

They then gave a set of tough additional criteria that Russian athletes needed to comply with and individual federations could then decide whether the athletes that met those criteria would be allowed to compete. The result was that about 70% of the Russian team did end up qualifying for the Olympics and competing after additional testing.

The majority of the athletes who were banned came from the two federations that decided to apply a blanket ban regardless: The IAAF banned all Russian track and field athletes and the International Weightlifting Association banned the entire Russian weightlifting team. The former was quite controversial, as it resulted in the ban of some athletes with a completely clean record over a lifetime of international competition, such as Elena Isinbaeva, which is very regrettable and personally I don't agree with it, but I guess it did put massive pressure on the ROC to sort their stuff out for future competitions.

Exactly, however it seems that Taiidan Tomcat thinks that if anyone speaks out about anything concerning the USA then you must hate all Americans and everything American :bandhead2:/>/>

I find it much more relaxing to not care what TT thinks about anything. You end up with less stress in your life and have so much more free time to do things such as making models when you don't have to read pages of turgid text.

:cheers:/>

Darius

Edited by Darius at home

Amazing. As I posted pages ago, I don't care about the games, and I have even been called un-American because of this. Don't care, I've been getting called names and insulted at various times of my life for decades, especially when I was a A.F. cop during the Vietnam war. Lighten up a bit, there's nothing you can do about those clowns. They will be handled by the local authorities and then by others who will do as they please, according to the laws or regulations they have to go by.

We beat NZ in the women's 7's rugby to secure the Gold!

Nothing else matters now :D/> (cos we'll never beat NZ in men's rugby again in my lifetime probably :(/> ).

On that note, what exactly was going on with the Wallabies last night? Not gloating, genuinely curious. They may as well not have been there for most of the game, and I was expecting a closer contest. Or maybe the AB's management fed the bug in their room a few days worth of disinfo before reporting it? :)