Myasishchev M-17 Stratosfera - 'Mystic-A'

The latest from Ukrianian manufacturer Modelsvit - a 1/72 scale model of the Myasishchev M-17 Stratosfera - dubbed 'Mystic-A' by NATO.

Designed as an interceptor of high-flying drifting balloons launched by the west on the prevaling winds over the Soviet Union, it was originally to be armed with an upper gun turret.

Modelsvit's box art depicts the second record-breaking protype M-17 at altitude....

m-17_modelsvit_01.jpg

Each new kit from Modelsvit is an improvement on the previous - and this new kit is no exception, with superbly moulded parts in grey plastic with fine engraved detail without any hint of flash.

m-17_modelsvit_02.jpg

The long span wings feature the correct laiminar-flow reflex section on the lower surfaces....

m-17_modelsvit_03.jpg

The upper wings and tailplane...

m-17_modelsvit_04.jpg

.... the upper centre section and fully lined intakes....

m-17_modelsvit_06.jpg

Tailboom and fins.....

m-17_modelsvit_07.jpg

Cockpit and engine parts.....

m-17_modelsvit_05.jpg

A pilot access ladder, a 22-part K-36 ejection seat and the undercarriage.....

m-17_modelsvit_08.jpg

The clear canopy is provided with two options - open or closed - and a set of self-adhesive masks are included....

m-17_modelsvit_09.jpg

Ken

More.....

The 22-page instruction booklet is very clear and easy to follow....

m-17_modelsvit_10.jpg

The painting instructions and decal placement guide - with the colours matched to Humbrol paints...

m-17_modelsvit_11.jpg

The comprehensive decals shhet is well printed and in register and offers two options - CCCP-17103 now on display at Monino and the second record-breaking prototype CCCP-17401 (also at Monino, but in bits)....

m-17_modelsvit_12.jpg

This very welcome release from Modelsvit is quite large - with a 560mm (22in) wingspan - and is one of those 'drop everything and make it' that occasionally appear - I can't wait to get started.

Ken

PS - I wonder if Modelsvit can be persuaded to make its bigger brother - the twin-engined M-55 'Geophysica' Earth-resources high-altitude platform still in use on missions around the world.

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress.....

Before any construction work is done, two opening have to be cut in the upper fuselage if you are making the second, record-breaking variant.

One in the nose for what looks like an internal camera (or star tracker?) - the window of which is included in the kit.

The other opening, is near the wing leading edge, for what looks like a radiator panel......

m-17_modelsvit_17.jpg

For both variants, another opening is cut in the lower fuselage - for a replacement panel with a bulged antenna....

m-17_modelsvit_18.jpg

The K-36 ejection seat is made up from 23 parts - some of which are very tiny for my old eyes - (check out the firing handle, top row, second one in!)

m-17_modelsvit_13.jpg

Once assembled the finished seat is exquisitely detailed and could not be bettered... (it is unpainted and minus its microscopic firing handle in this photo)

m-17_modelsvit_14.jpg

The cockpit tub is constructed from a floor, front and rear bulkheads and two side panels. A top deck, rudder pedals, a control column and an instrument binnacle completes the cockpit.

m-17_modelsvit_16.jpg

Decals are provided for the front panel, the side consoles and the cockpit sidewalls....

m-17_modelsvit_15.jpg

Ken

Some progress.....

The bifurcated intakes are assembled from two inner and outer halves that then attach to a compressor face - with inlet guide vanes......

m-17_modelsvit_19.jpg

The completed intakes are then fitted inside the left fuselage half - and there's a lot to cram into the fuselage before the halves can be joined.

m-17_modelsvit_20.jpg

From left to right :- engine exhaust assembly,engine comressor and bifurcated intake assembly, outer intake duct (marked with the letter L), nosewheel well assembly, assembled cockpit and camera/star tracker. Plus the 14g weight recommended in the instructions.

Bottom view of the fuselage......

m-17_modelsvit_21.jpg

.... and from the top...

m-17_modelsvit_22.jpg

Time to attach the starboard fuselge half......

Ken

WOW. Nice work there Ken! Fantastic ejection seat in 72nd scale!!!!!!!!!!! Most producers are not able to add this much on a 48th scale seat!

I still dont know how Modelsvit is bring out all those great kits. One has to get his thing together to keep up with this manufacturer!

Best regards

Gabor

Whilst the fuselage is setting, I started on the wings.....

The wing centre section has a 'hatch' - I don't know why it's a separate part?

I have made a 'ledge' from white plastic card for it to sit on when it is fitted in place.

m-17_modelsvit_23.jpg

Modelsvit ask you to make two ribs for the wing roots (presumably to aid stiffness(?) and provide templates.

I've just added blocks of square section plastic card - which is easier and does the same job.

The top hatch is now glued in place onto its plastic card ledge.........

m-17_modelsvit_24.jpg

The wing components cleaned up ready to assemble....

m-17_modelsvit_25.jpg

Ken

The intakes are made up from an inner and outer section - with a separate 'lip' - which is a great aid when painting the demarcation line just inside the intake - another thoughtful bit of engineering from Modelsvit.

m-17_modelsvit_26.jpg

With the upper wing centre section fitted - note the 'radiator' fitted to the wing root/fuselage top on this version.

It now looks like something out of Star Wars - or Batman!!

m-17_modelsvit_27.jpg

Underside view showing the separate bulged hatch in the lower fuselage - and my added white plastic wing root 'stiffeners'....

m-17_modelsvit_28.jpg

Ken

I encountered a slight problem - when I came to attach the lower wing panels, they would not fit properly at the roots.

The cause was the rear end of the fuselage - it was not 'pinched in' enough at the top - placing part E11 (which comes later in the construction sequence) against the rear end showed a mis-match in shape.

I had to remove the upper wing centre section and glue the rear end of the fuselage more closely around the jetpipe - using part E11 as a template........

m-17_modelsvit_29.jpg

It was entirely my fault - and it's an easy enough fix - I would recommend ignoring the instructions and attach part E11 to the rear fuselage BEFORE fitting the upper wing centre section......

m-17_modelsvit_30.jpg

The centre section is now re-attached - as are the lower outer wing panels......

m-17_modelsvit_31.jpg

m-17_modelsvit_32.jpg

Ken

The seat looks absolutely terrific!

Interesting subject as well. Times really have changed. Who would have thought a modern kit of this aircraft would appear! I started here '05 and back then a majority of the kits we've gotten recently seemed just distant dreams...

The upper outer wings are added - I placed a piece of square section plastic to act as a spacer for rigidity...

m-17_modelsvit_33.jpg

The wing root intakes are separate and needed a bit of 'fettling' to get right into the 'corner' of the wing/fuselage junction.

The wheel well sponsons also needed some love and care to eliminate the joins....

m-17_modelsvit_34.jpg

Don't make the mistake that I did of trying the get the rear end of the intakes to form a trailing edge fillet with the upper wing root - they are actually open vents......

m-17_modelsvit_35.jpg

.... as my photos of the real thing clearly shows!!! :doh:/>/>/>

m-17_modelsvit_36.jpg

m-17_modelsvit_37.jpg

I'm now ready to attach the booms - but this is the weakest area of the kit - they are just butt-joined to the wings ! :woot.gif:/>/>

The only concession to fitting them is a small lug on one boom - with a corresponding recess on the wing - to make sure you get them the right way round.

They clealy need some kind of strengthening at the joints.

m-17_modelsvit_38.jpg

Ken

I used short lengths of plastic tubing to strengthen the joints on the tailbooms.......

m-17_modelsvit_39.jpg

The model was inverted and taped down to hold it steady, the horizontal stabiliser was taped onto a flat surface and the tailbooms were glued in place onto the wings and tailplane - ensuring that everything was straight and true....

The joints are not too bad - only needing a small amount of filler.......

The model is almost ready for a wash in warm soapy water followed by a coat of grey primer - which will, no doubt, reveal the need for a bit more filling and sanding.....

m-17_modelsvit_40.jpg

Ken

Wow Ken, this is not an aircraft I am interested in but i always look in since I may miss out on jewels like that ejection seat! Since they have it on a separate sprue tree labeled K-36, I truly hope they will offer it separately because, as stated, that seat is simply fantastically detailed!

Regards,

Ken really good work there. I had no interest in this but after seeing yours I think I might end up getting this. Looks like will turn out great :thumbsup:

By the way, in one of your next shots would it be possible to place a 6" ruler in the pic? Would be nice to figure out how big this thing is. Thanks.

Edited by skyhawk174

Cockpit sealed and kit-supplied windscreen masks applied.....

m-17_modelsvit_41.jpg

..... followed by a white primer coat from a rattle can

m-17_modelsvit_42.jpg

Once the primer is dry and sanded smooth I'll finish the white areas with a mist coat of Halfords Appliance White (an acryllic car spray that gives a glossy smooth finish).

Ken

Almost ready for the decals.....

I used aerosol acryllic sprays from a rattle can - Halfords Appliance White, Ford Polar Grey - with Humbrol red enamel on the wingtips and tailplanes......

m-17_modelsvit_44.jpg

m-17_modelsvit_45.jpg

The colour police may not approve - but it looks OK to me!

Ken