Bronco 1/48 P-40B

It's bad. Based on Trumpeter CAD.

I'm waiting for the Airfix effort. Was scheduled for August 2016.

Vedran

Oh darn I was hoping for a good kit finally.A shallow cockpit and bad sunken fabric detail.Seems like the best redeeming quality is the fabris blood chit.

Based on Trumpeter CAD.

Vedran, where did you get this information? I agree that it isn't as good as it could be but, seeing that Trumpeter will be releasing their own Kitty Hawk, I find it hard to believe they would share or sell their work.

Trumpeter Sprue Tree with fuselage halves:

5749145204473.jpg

Bronco Sprue Tree:

Hawk_1.jpg

Wings sprue tree

Trumpeter:

5749145fa6c8b.jpg

Bronco:

Hawk_2.jpg

The only remaining sprue tree from Trumpeter is the clear one:

5749146109d9e.jpg

Bronco has much more:

Hawk_5.jpg

Hawk_3.jpg

Hawk_4.jpg

PE

Trumpeter:

574914625d400.jpg

Bronco:

312405b44aed2e73e0750adc8001a18b86d6fa05_1.jpg

Regards,

Trumpeter re-released their old kit with new decals. No new tool.

One sign of common heritage is the bogus shallow cockpit, among other external similarities.

Edit: different sprue and parts layouts don't mean they were not based on the same CAD model.

Vedran

Edited by dragonlance
Trumpeter re-released their old kit with new decals. No new tool.

After finding my old kit (2807) I agree that the 'new' Trumpeter kit is the old one and not newly tooled.

One sign of common heritage is the bogus shallow cockpit, among other external similarities.

How is that a sign of common heritage? From the kits in my stash, both Monogram's (6803) and Hobbycraft's have the shallow cockpits as well. I can take photos to prove this. Trumpeter's has separate ailerons and Bronco's doesn't. Bronco is using slide molds to open the exhausts and has an engine.

Since it is best to ask someone who definitely knows, I am writing to Rubin (note the spelling) who is Bronco's owner.

Edit: different sprue and parts layouts don't mean they were not based on the same CAD model.

Different sprues and parts layouts with the same exact parts... I agree. Different parts, I don't agree as this means they may have started with the same CAD information but expanded on it therefore making it a different CAD model.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Since it is best to ask someone who definitely knows, I am writing to Rubin (note the spelling) who is Bronco's owner.

Well, I got a response. While Rubin is no longer heading Bronco (he heads Classy Hobby) he does know the plans used to create the CAD. They are from this book by MBI.

106739-15526-45.jpg

Regards,

Look at the sprue photos. The cockpit is too shallow. The seat back is hardly larger than the seat bottom. The sides and rear are barely half as high as they should be.

Speaking as someone who's generally not all that particular, it's bad.

Ken