I purchased some Model Master lacquer clear coat (flat clear) to try. I'm ready to spray it but after reading a few conflicting reports I'd like to know if I can use it. My painting and clear coats up to this point have been all model master enamel on my current build. Can I use the lacquer?

MM lacquer flat coat is what I use. Some tidbits:

- I actually mix it 50:50 MM semi-gloss coat. The flat is too flat in my opinion. I have already combined the two bottles into one, so I don't have a pure MM flat anymore.

- I dilute it 50:50 with hardware store lacquer thinner in the A/B. Actually, I might be diluting even more than that, like 30:70.

- Make sure not to flood the surface (keep a safe distance from the surface and don't use too much pressure). That would be the main cause of any damage to the paint or gloss coat you are applying it to.

- If you are spraying over an acrylic gloss coat (say future) make sure the gloss coat is all cured, I wait at least 2 days for future to cure.

- Also, try not to spray MM lacquer when it is too humid. It may cause 'lacquer blushing' which pretty much means a ruined paint job. This happened to me once with an F-117. The whole thing turned into powdery white/yellow. It was awful.

Edited by Janissary

I too have had good success for years with it. As suggested above, I think it's just the liquid version of DullCote rattlecans. Anyway, I've sprayed it over all types of paint (mostly MM, but also Mr. Color, Alclad, Vallejo, Tamiya) and decals. I thinned the liquid to spraying consistency with MM Lacquer Thinner. Best results were with an Iwata HP-TH (0.5mm needle with fan spray), but also good with Badger 360 (0.3 mm).

Now using Mr Color clear, but that's because I'm generally moving from Model Master to Mr Color.

I use Testors Dull Cote Lacquers exclusively, I like to add a bit of paint thinner (mineral spirit) to my mix which is essentially 70% thinner to 30% clear, I'll spray and keep adding lacquer thinner till the last cote is straight thinner, it gives it a nice flat sheen.

Also if you experience the "Blushing" mine looked like snow, white dots, straight Lacquer thinner will melt is and the affect will go away.

Curt

10_23_12.jpg

- Also, try not to spray MM lacquer when it is too humid. It may cause 'lacquer blushing' which pretty much means a ruined paint job.

This may go away on its own eventually. And I mean over months. At least it did when it happened to me.

I use Testors Dull Cote Lacquers exclusively, I like to add a bit of paint thinner (mineral spirit) to my mix which is essentially 70% thinner to 30% clear, I'll spray and keep adding lacquer thinner till the last cote is straight thinner, it gives it a nice flat sheen.

Also if you experience the "Blushing" mine looked like snow, white dots, straight Lacquer thinner will melt is and the affect will go away.

Curt

10_23_12.jpg

That's a good tip to know, about spraying straight Lacquer Thinner, to melt "Blushing".

Thanks, Curt.