Barracuda Studios B-1B Resin...WOW!

WOW! Barracuda Studios has a LOT of B-1B correction parts for the 1/72nd Monogram kit coming down the pike! Resin nose, tail cone, exhausts, engine nacells, wheels, and wing glove covers!!!!! I will go broke but this is the stuff I've been dreaming about since the 80's! I think I'll have to buy some SAC metal gear to hold up the kit on its gear! This will push the kit well over $100.00 but, in my humble opinion, well worth it!

I should live so long!

I'm so excited I didn't have time to add a link but its announced over on Hyperscale!

Cheers,

WARDOG

WOW! Barracuda Studios has a LOT of B-1B correction parts for the 1/72nd Monogram kit coming down the pike! Resin nose, tail cone, exhausts, engine nacells, wheels, and wing glove covers!!!!!

Roy's 48th BOne goodies were awesome, but those 72nd bits are simply sublime and they will be worth every single shekel and then some! Roy is a Master Caster and I have proudly put my money where my mouth is, as I have every casting he has done for modern a/c. I also like the looks of those Meteor wheels as well, so I am sure to spring for a few of those as well.

Rick

I wouldn't buy the SAC gear. They are white metal and will eventually sag. In all my years of building (40+), I've never had kit gear break from the weight of a model just sitting on the shelf. Now, I've dropped a couple. That's a different story!

I wouldn't buy the SAC gear. They are white metal and will eventually sag. In all my years of building (40+), I've never had kit gear break from the weight of a model just sitting on the shelf. Now, I've dropped a couple. That's a different story!

I'd second that. I just finished up the Revell 1/72 B-1 about two weeks ago and the landing gear is stout enough. I know that purists will want to change out the nose strut since what comes in the kit represents the pre-production strut. I just built mine straight out of the box and enjoyed it immensely. I'd much rather spend the $100+ on several other kits instead of on aftermarket gunk.

Just had a look at the stuff on Hyperscale; it is pretty wonderful -I'm especially pleased that Barracuda fixed up a late tail with the ALE-50 bumps.

But quite honestly anything for the Lancer in this scale is happy news!

Too bad I sold my Revell kit... :bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2:

My 10 cents on the landing gear: plastic is fine on anything under 1/32, unless you have something with unusually long legs without much support (F-101, F-105 for example) which will wobble at the knees. I used an Airwaves white metal set for my old Monogram Thud and that was hard enough to keep its shape, but some SAC sets I bought arrived ready bent!

Thanks for the responces guys. The SAC metal comment was kind of tougue-in-cheek but, I did think of all that extra weight on the struts. As said though, the BONE kit has pretty substantial gear and should do the trick.

Hi Darren, I too build (or INTEND to build) most of my kits OOB but for some of them like my B-52 and B-1 I want to have the latest variant. In both cases that is an expensive proposition but, its just what I want as I've pretty much gotten to the end of my "Must Have" kits list.

Cheers All,

Glynn

Edited by Glynn Jacobs

Good to know, especially given how those main B-1 gear struts trail behind the attachment point. Yes, the original Monogram gear struts are sturdy enough... PROVIDED you don't break them yourself in a drop.

Brass would be less likely to deform, but again, the kit parts are fine. Replace the axles if you want - that's where most of the stress lies, and is the likeliest area to break - but replacing the entire landing gear is mostly pointless.

I picked up an original release of the 1:72 B-1B that I came across a few years back...got it home, opened the box and one of the fuselage halves was a damned short-shoot. I returned it to the hobby shop and just chose something else, since that was his last of that kit he had in stock.

I would be interested in checking this kit out again though, and seeing if those resin goodies are nice and drop-in, or do they require a lot of skill (which I don't have...LOL.).

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Having rebuilt and detailed (not entirely correctly) the old review model for a later article in FSM, I can tell you that adding the forthcoming Barracuda details will require considerable surgery on the old kit. There are also other things you may want to change on the kit as it represents one of the early bombers that was used for testing various weapons and carrying situations. The bottom of the fuselage needs to have the bomb bays reconfigured, a rather boxy sighting device removed, and other changes. I suspect Roy may suggest some of these corrections in the instructions that come with his sets, but this is not a project for a beginner. And it is likely to be expensive. So if you're into it, I'm sure they will be worth the price. Roy's resin stuff is top notch - just understand you get what you pay for and pay for what you get!

Hard to believe that I reviewed the initial release of the Monogram 1/72 B-1 for FineScale Modeler 32 years ago!

Paul, I had just gotten out of the Air Force then, man does time truly fly or what? I think I actually remember that review, as I was very involved with the preparations for the BOne to deploy at Dyess for the first time, so therefore I was very interested in a kit of the aircraft as well.

Rick

..., as I was very involved with the preparations for the BOne to deploy at Dyess for the first time,

I remember going to the open house at Dyess to see the first BOne there, somewhere I have pics....

Hard to believe that I reviewed the initial release of the Monogram 1/72 B-1 for FineScale Modeler 32 years ago!

32 years ago, 1984, the year I retired from the US Air Force. It is hard to believe that it has been that long.

• 2 months later...

Ditto Alternative 4's comment.  I've been all over the Barracuda website, and all it says on the B-1 page is: "No products are currently available in this category."   Anxious to get the parts I need in 1/72 when released.

R/ Dutch

There are a couple of pics and an update on Barracuda Studios Ready Room Group on Facebook.  It is not an open group, so you will need to send a request to join.  The hold-up is getting the intakes done so that all sets can be released at once.  I think Barracuda are aiming to launch at Scale Model World in Telford in three weeks time.

Jens

Edited by jenshb
Contents
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:26 PM, Glynn Jacobs said:

WOW! Barracuda Studios has a LOT of B-1B correction parts for the 1/72nd Monogram kit coming down the pike! Resin nose, tail cone, exhausts, engine nacells, wheels, and wing glove covers!!!!! I will go broke but this is the stuff I've been dreaming about since the 80's! I think I'll have to buy some SAC metal gear to hold up the kit on its gear! This will push the kit well over $100.00 but, in my humble opinion, well worth it!

I should live so long!

I'm so excited I didn't have time to add a link but its announced over on Hyperscale!

Cheers,

WARDOG

Amen! Preach it!  I need a complete set to upgrade the Monogram B-1A/B to real B-1B standards.  Soon?