Hasbro/Kenner Y-wing getting repainted

Well I was asked to repaint a brand new Kenner Y-wing, I didn't even wanted to touche it but the owner insisted (he has other three in pristine condition), so he wants the toy look to be taken away fron this ship, and since he's seen my models he wanted me to give it a try. The job is "simple", same scheme, same colors but with a better look, wich in my opinion is already cool, but "the client" wanted something more real :dontknow: I don't know if I'm up to the task but I won't let an opportunuty like this one pass!

First I'm gonna rescribe it and add a couple ot bits on the cockpit and change the interior color then we'll see how it goes cause he is gonna be watching the progress at every step of the way so everything's aproved by him.

So basically I'm gonna be doing everything he wants or at least trying, I wanted to seal all seams and joints but he doesn't want me to, he wants to keep the ship as if it was a limited edition of the same toy, yeah I know, StarWars people are crazy lol!

I'm gonna be showing the progress and listening to your opinions and if necessary convincing the "client"!

Bear with me through this fun project! but first the subject!

IMG_8452_zpsfsuwotvj.jpg

IMG_8440_zpsmdveybpa.jpg

IMG_8441_zpsusjrivkq.jpg

IMG_8435_zpsplb0pof6.jpg

IMG_8436_zpsjksyxijq.jpg

IMG_8437_zpsnjyzbcic.jpg

First step, dismantle it, when I realized it wasn't as easy as I thought I knew this was gonna be something....

IMG_8442_zpslvblj3ib.jpg

Then rescribing diferent kind of plastic, softer, but the same principle

IMG_8443_zpsjuaswtk6.jpg

IMG_8445_zpszlhoig35.jpg

Some bits added

IMG_8456_zpsfymy6veh.jpg

IMG_8532_zpsxeplkluq.jpg

IMG_8535_zpsxyx5ymwh.jpg

I'll get back to you soon!

Seeing what many have done to the 1/18 Tomcats and other jets, you could really go to town on this one. The potential to add detail, is limitless.

I remember those weak vinyl struts on the engines. They bent/warped so easily.

Good luck on this. You're basically your client's hands.

-Jeff

Yes those struts are kinda weak and slopy but I'll have to keep them as I can't change parts, I went a bit crazy adding stuff to the cockpit but I have to take most of it away cause He wanted the pilot to fit inside! So I had to leave just what you've seen on the pics wich is already an upgrade of that part of the ship! He wants the "used but not abused" look which IMHO is really hard to get, at least for me!!

I'll keep you posted, so far it's been lots of fun!

This is indeed a very cool project! I've seen this done on old Star Wars toys before (Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, AT-ST, and a more current AT-DP). It takes a lot of work but they look very cool when completed. I will enjoy watching your progress.

:cheers:

Don.

• 4 weeks later...