Trumpeter question

A few years ago I built Trumpy's 1/32 Stuka for a friend. Unlike several other 1/32 kits of theirs, this one was a dream. If I had to bet, I would be that at least part of the design team came from Tamiya; the engine was 100% as good as the one in Tamiya's Mustang/Spitfire etc. And I love 1/32 scale subjects, but having just built the Kitty Hawk OV10 which was just like an old Trumpy kit, I don't want that frustration. What I'm looking for is feedback on which other Trumpy kits are as good, with respect to engineering and fit, as the Stuka. Subject doesn't matter (and jets are fine, too), I'd just like to know what kits I could build and get enjoyment rather than frustration. Thank you for your feedback.

Since I don't build much in 1/32nd scale, I can only offer suggestions in other scales. However, if you were to change the title to 1/32nd Scale Trumpeter Suggestions, I am sure you will get responses. I have heard good things about the Me-262 Schwalbe (I have their 1/48th scale clones released under Hobby Boss) and the TBM Avenger (which some say is based on the superb Accurate Miniatures kit).

Regards and good luck,

I've built the 1/32 MiG-3 and found it a good enough kit to buy 2 more.

the second one is nearly done and the third is in the box and ready to build.

the photo-etched hinges and metal rods for the control surfaces were a pain so I just super-glued them in the neutral position.

I've also got the 1/32 Yak-18 and haven't done anything with that other than paint the cockpit parts.

I might add that their Mig29 and Harrier don't seem bad. Although the Harrier has the British gun pod(s). I've never seen the Mig3 built, but the plastic looks nice. I wasn't pleased with their BF109E-7, as I'm spoiled with the Dragon kit. Their BF109G6 doesn't seem all that bad, but still not perfect.

gary

I will have to look at the Avenger and Intruder kits as they sound like something I would enjoy building in the large scale. Good info all :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I will have to look at the Avenger and Intruder kits as they sound like something I would enjoy building in the large scale. Good info all :thumbsup:/>

:cheers:/>

I think Trumpeter often gets a generic bad rap on their kits. Some are real bad, but some are pretty good. Their ME262 is just out standing. The Harrier is better most all I've seen (even Hasegawa). Their Intruders are supposed to be outstanding (same for Hobby Boss). The E series 109 was doable, but there were still some big errors to be addressed. Besides the Dragon 109 is cheaper and the best 109 in 1/32 scale. I really like their MIG29, but not so much their MIG21

gary

The bad rap is usually on the accuracy part, their kits that I've come across are all an excellent fit and build. I've hence refrained from recommending several nice kits since they're bogged down with accuracy issues. If only they'd get their research right like they seem to do more often than not with their armor kits...

One comment on the intruder for the record, the cockpit is wrong in that the seats are not offset properly. They are not GRU-5 seats and the angles of the instrument panels are wrong as well, with the prominent cockpit area of the 1/32nd that's a large annoyance for me. I've been thinking about making a correction set but I'm always sidetracked with distractions.

Edited by Sir Fondlebottom

The bad rap is usually on the accuracy part, their kits that I've come across are all an excellent fit and build. I've hence refrained from recommending several nice kits since they're bogged down with accuracy issues. If only they'd get their research right like they seem to do more often than not with their armor kits...

One comment on the intruder for the record, the cockpit is wrong in that the seats are not offset properly. They are not GRU-5 seats and the angles of the instrument panels are wrong as well, with the prominent cockpit area of the 1/32nd that's a large annoyance for me. I've been thinking about making a correction set but I'm always sidetracked with distractions.

virtually every kit we hear about (no matter the price or brand) needs new seats. I mean to say that it's almost pandemic! Or else crap! I bought a new AMK kit a month or so ago (not the MIG). The interior looked extremely good, and looked like a 3d image of photos. The ejection seats even had separate seat cushions with no seat belts to sand off. Looking at reviews, half called for new ejection seats and side walls! Sure looked the part to me.

do not take this as a flame towards you, cause it's not!

gary

virtually every kit we hear about (no matter the price or brand) needs new seats. I mean to say that it's almost pandemic! Or else crap! I bought a new AMK kit a month or so ago (not the MIG). The interior looked extremely good, and looked like a 3d image of photos. The ejection seats even had separate seat cushions with no seat belts to sand off. Looking at reviews, half called for new ejection seats and side walls! Sure looked the part to me.

do not take this as a flame towards you, cause it's not!

gary

I tend to agree Gary. I find it interesting that folks go gaga and drool all over the latest and greatest CAD's or test shots of this or that kit but almost immediately post something to the affect of "all it needs is an aftermarket this, metal that, and a new decal sheet". Often times folks say this without even having fondled the actual kit. Now again, please nobody get their dander up as I know that we each model as we see fit. So if adding all the latest and greatest AM into your models makes you happy then by all means please enjoy. I am by no means being critical. I just personally think (a.k.a my humble opinion) that its almost become expected that AM be used on all our builds nowadays when to me, it doesn't really add a whole lot to the overall finished model. Again...just my thoughts :wave: .

Now in regards the Trumpeter Intruder, all good info gentleman! I appreciate the advice and observations. I always like getting peoples views on kits that I am interested in. What about the Avenger? Has anyone heard of anything that would be a deal breaker with those?

Regards,

:cheers: