Killer CH-47D in 1/48

13 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Ha! Whenever life calms down enough for me to model again. My wife and I did relocate my stuff to a room aka "man cave", but she don't look at it like that.

Hopefully I get to work on it again soon. What about your C2 hawk?

Tim

its still on my bench, staring at me with extreme jealousy as I have been working on this Chinook.  I admit part of my procrastination has been the fact that I have to scratch build the intermediate and tail rotor gear boxes before i can finally glue the fuselage halves together.  Once I finish this tribute build, I will go right back to it.  Maybe instead of tackling the gearbox problem right away i will build the troop seats from the comfort of my warm toasty living room until it gets warm enough to spend time in my garage again and i get more production momentum...

-Ramon

Procrastination due to us crew chiefs wanting everything just right is what has probably made my build longer than it should have been. When I built my first hawk years ago, I remember those troop seats being a pain in the butt. Good luck with them. If I get time, I'll post my hangar queen helo that has alot of hangar rash.

Tim

So I got around to tweaking the rotor heads.   Starting with the forward m/r head assy, I cut the blades off with a hobby knife at the pitch horn, one at a time.  After cleaing up the newly exposed mating surfaces, I drilled a hole into the head and the blade, then inserted a piece of aluminum tubing for support when i glue the pieces back together.  Using some CA glue, I glued the aluminum to the blade, then the blade to the head at a slightly droopy angle.  Forward and aft rotor assemblies pictured for comparison.  More to follow soon...

20161204_115418.jpg

20161202_154421.jpg

20161204_182654.jpg

Cheers!

-Ramon

On 12/5/2016 at 0:55 AM, hawkwrench said:

Your model is off the "hook" dude.

Looks good. Sorry, I couldn't resist the hook phrase, it just goes along with your build!  Where's the droop stops at on this pig?

Tim

Ha ha! I don't think they have droop stops.  Even a shorty like me could reach the main rotor blade when it was at the twelve o'clock position!

-Ramon

So the finish line is in sight. I have the wheels painted and installed. The main rotor assemblies painted and installed. Started some of the detail painting underneath. Still need some time to speckle and mottle the finish then soon a can start attaching the cargo hooks, antennas and other detail bits...

20161209_155907.jpg

20161209_160942.jpg

-Ramon

• 2 weeks later...

ok, a few teaser shots and a layout mock up...

20161219_193842.jpg

The cargo hook cover came with pegs with which to attach it to the fuselage...

20161220_060711-1.jpg

I made some hasty swing arms instead.  Just need a coat of zinc...

20161219_193857.jpg

Italeri didn't even try to have any external lighting, but I managed to find some anti-smash lights in my spares box.

20161219_223100.jpg

So the base will have a thin layer of spackle on it, and that will be the flightline.  Thanks for the wings idea, Tim, that actually looks really cool!  I printed his name and info on clear decal paper.  I am going to apply that to some stock plastic cut to size and painted and weathered with metalizers.  Hopefully I can make that look cool as well.  Delivery is scheduled for Friday.  Next post will have all the glamour pics - wish me luck!

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6
photobucket sucks

FINISHED!  Tonight was supposed to be delivery night, but game night has been postponed due to weather and its effects on the homefront.  Anyways, here are some preliminary pics.  If the rain lets up I might take better pics but for now...

P1070007_levels.jpg

P1070005_levels.jpg

P1070002_levels.jpg

And the base...

20161223_161258.jpg

Delivery date rescheduled for next week.  I got time to fix the plaque that I messed up because of crappy decal paper.  Moral - you pay for cheap, you get cheap!  Next post with pics will have the wings and plaque, and hopefully my pal the Hooker as well...

Cheers!

-Ramon

Beautiful.. I'm going bookmark your build as my future reference.

The paint effect plus the weathering really spot-on (according to the pics I saw that is, never seen the real one by my own eye :rolleyes: )..

Did you use pigments or desert wash for the weathering? 

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

On 12/24/2016 at 1:40 PM, Hajo L. said:

Excellent model! Really nice!

HAJO

On 12/24/2016 at 7:13 PM, hawkwrench said:

You did an outstanding job on the hook crew dog!!! You're friend is gonna love it, I just know it!

Tim

On 12/24/2016 at 9:46 PM, Rotorman said:

A show stopper. Beautiful.

On 12/26/2016 at 6:27 AM, Ishthe47guy said:

I need to spend more time on the new forums. I missed all of this.  Overall, very nice build.  You added scratchbuilt details that I never thought to add, & I've spent half my life around these things.

On 12/26/2016 at 6:50 AM, salvador001 said:

What a beauty, wish it was mine, the owner is very lucky. One of the best Chinooks ive seen. Great work Ramon!

Rod.

Thanks guys! I am my own worst critic, but your comments make me think it's not so bad!

-Ramon

On 12/25/2016 at 1:14 AM, lifeline said:

Beautiful.. I'm going bookmark your build as my future reference.

The paint effect plus the weathering really spot-on (according to the pics I saw that is, never seen the real one by my own eye :rolleyes: )..

Did you use pigments or desert wash for the weathering? 

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

Thanks for the kind words Mario!  For weathering, I started with some post-paint touch ups and highlights with Model Master enamel Army helo green, which is a greyer version of the acrylic version of that color. That was all on top of the pre-shading of black along the panel lines and random red, yellow and blue splotches.  I also did some spot painting with Akan olive green using photos as a reference, and I finished that off with an oil paint wash of 50/50 burnt umber and paynes grey dusted of with desert sandy-colored powders. Hope this helps!

-Ramon