Generally, large scale helicopters have been in 1/35 since they usually support ground forces, they are the same scale as most armor models and figures.  This was started in the '90s by Academy with their UH-1C and AH-1W kits, and followed by others after that.  I think it makes more sense so you can use 1/35 figures and accessories with them for dios and such.

2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Generally, large scale helicopters have been in 1/35 since they usually support ground forces, they are the same scale as most armor models and figures.  This was started in the '90s by Academy with their UH-1C and AH-1W kits, and followed by others after that.  I think it makes more sense so you can use 1/35 figures and accessories with them for dios and such.

Okay, just like I thought: to go with tanks and other ground vehicles. Makes sense, I just hadn't really noticed this before.

17 hours ago, KAGNEW said:

hi all: this is the latest information.

we will do a large line of 1/48 U S  helicopters.

but i promise a line of 1/35 Huey's & Cobra's in the not to distant future.

Glen

Mr Glen, Thanks for all the cool stuff, cant wait for the 1/48 Huey!

48 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

I bet the model comes with the pitots, but if not, for a D will be a straight tube in the nose, but for an H will be a angled one in the roof.

Both can be made with stretch sprue or fine styrene rod.

Rod.

absolutely , anyways my favorite part of scale modeling is make parts that the kits don't bring :beer4:

specially the Huey we have on the market right now

On 3/19/2017 at 11:17 AM, snake36bravo said:
1 hour ago, salvador001 said:

I bet the model comes with the pitots, but if not, for a D will be a straight tube in the nose, but for an H will be a angled one in the roof.

Both can be made with stretch sprue or fine styrene rod.

Rod.

Yes, the kit will have both a nose and roof mounted pitot.  Interesting that this artwork shows neither while the Dragon artwork shows both on the same Huey!

Image result for Dragon UH-1H

10 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Yes, the kit will have both a nose and roof mounted pitot.  Interesting that this artwork shows neither while the Dragon artwork shows both on the same Huey!

Image result for Dragon UH-1H

I love and hate this dragon kit , I built 3 of them them lost them when they melt inside a case that my amazing mother keep them 'safe" while I was out of the country 9 years ago. :)

Just curious, but what's so bad about the Dragon Huey?

The biggest issue is huge (golf ball sized) rivets and valleys for panel lines.  The interior detailing is soft as well and the seats and struts are oversized.  The nose profile is also off a bit as well.  That said, with some work, it can be made into a really nice model.

Edited by HeavyArty

For the Dragon Huey, i would use some parts of the MRC UH-1C, including the instrument panel, pilot seats, overhead console, center console, main rotor mast, stab bar, tail rotor, skid tubes, and some other bits. Oh and of course, sand all the rivets and use archer ones.

Rod.

30 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

That's it???

Tim

I depends on how much of a stickler you are for accuracy and how much work you want to do on it. 

Here are a few examples of how it can turn out.

UH-1H WSMR: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=1881

UH-1V Medevac: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=1885

Bell 212 IDF Anafa (Dragon UH-1N kit): http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=231620&page=1

Also don't forget that damn tailboom door that I could never get correct.  The tailboom was also not the correct shape.  Incorrect rotor system.  Incorrect tail rotor blades.  Incorrect Main rotor blades.  It just was a pain in the fool and I threw mine away.

Floyd

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

I depends on how much of a stickler you are for accuracy and how much work you want to do on it. 

Here are a few examples of how it can turn out.

UH-1H WSMR: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=1881

UH-1V Medevac: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=1885

Bell 212 IDF Anafa (Dragon UH-1N kit): http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=231620&page=1

Great builds! amazing!

26 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Also don't forget that damn tailboom door that I could never get correct.  The tailboom was also not the correct shape.  Incorrect rotor system.  Incorrect tail rotor blades.  Incorrect Main rotor blades.  It just was a pain in the fool and I threw mine away.

Floyd

Hehehe I can feel you Floyd... one of the Dragon I built was a real pain.. there were times that I just cant deal with it anymore

The rotor blade issue depends on which kit you get.  The UH-1D US Army Vietnam kit has incorrect Bell 212 blades. In the  UH-1N kit, they are correct.  In the UH-1D Heer German kit, they fixed them.  They are pretty easy to fix for a UH-1D/UH-1H though.    In the below picture you see the kit blade in the middle (UH-1N or Bell 212 blade). The bottom blade shows the area in red that needs to be removed for a UH-1D/H (Bell 205) blade. The top is the corrected blade.  The tail rotor blades can be narrowed and reshaped too.

UH-1HDustOffHuey1.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
3 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

The rotor blade issue depends on which kit you get.  The UH-1D US Army Vietnam kit has incorrect Bell 212 blades. In the  UH-1N kit, they are correct.  In the UH-1D Heer German kit, they fixed them.  They are pretty easy to fix for a UH-1D/UH-1H though.    In the below picture you see the kit blade in the middle (UH-1N or Bell 212 blade). The bottom blade shows the area in red that needs to be removed for a UH-1D/H (Bell 205) blade. The top is the corrected blade.  The tail rotor blades can be narrowed and reshaped too.

UH-1HDustOffHuey1.jpg

I didn't know they corrected the blades in later boxing.  One less thing to fix but I still want a modern tooled, ACCURATE UH-1D/H

Floyd

Check this link: http://www.modelaces.com/148_scale_model/bell_uh-1.php

Its the Dragon kit with parts from the MRC UH-1C. For me, its the best UH-1H in 1/35 ive seen.

If you put some love to the kit it could turn out in a better quality model, but definitly its a lot of work.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001