8 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Just curious, but what's so bad about the Dragon Huey?

Tim

Ok, so I can fix golf ball rivets, I can cobble together an interior form other kits, I can get the correct tail rotor from a UH-1C kit.  I can actually fix most of the issues with the kit EXCEPT for the windshield being WAY too steep.  It screws up the lines of the nose and windshield on both the UH-1N and UH-1H kits.  How the heck Panda/Dragon/Italeri did that is beyond me and it effects everything from the 1/72 Italeri UH-1N to the 1/48 Italeri UH-1N and UH-1D/H kits as wella s all the 1/35 UH-1N and UH-1D/H kits.  Below is a comparison of the Dragon kit nose (black transparent) with an actual UH-1H that I took great pains to shoot as close to side on as possible.  Note the point where the nose and windshield meet are way way off on the model.  It's a deal breaker for me.  If I'm going put all the sweat equity into making a decent looking Huey, it has to at least have decent lines.  Every time I see a Dragon kit I cringe inside. perhaps that makes me a Huey snob, but if so, so be it.  I'll build a 1/100 Huey kit before I'll build it.

58d1ae1f5194f_Dragonkitcompare2small.jpg.ff755caf3571211f15aee8e601ea607e.jpg

1 minute ago, salvador001 said:

Wow i didnt know about the windshield problem, now this keeps me away from this kit. Still hope the Kitty Hawk Huey will be the best.

Rod.

All I can promise is that the KH CAD has the right profile.  If they get the shape of the fuselage right, we can all actually use our modeling skills to fix any issues.  However, my hope and based on the CADs my belief, is it will be a winner out of the box.

Ray

39 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Wow i didnt know about the windshield problem, now this keeps me away from this kit. Still hope the Kitty Hawk Huey will be the best.

Rod.

hahah Amigo, I don't want to see a dragon Huey ever again.... :sunrevolves:

Just now, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Not sure where you got this photos from but that is an old CAD.  We have taken care of that tailboom antenna and all the none Vietnam era stuff.  That is a reasonable representation though.

Floyd

Took the words out of my mouth, Floyd.  The good thing is that even if we got THAT kit, it's just a matter of leaving stuff off to get a good Vietnam bird.  Floyd and I are just perfectionists when it comes to the details.  

Ray

Are the Panda/Dragon 1/35 UH-1D/H/Ns perfect?  No.  Can they be made into very nice Hueys that are close enough?  Definitely for me. Especially since they are the only 1/35 UH-1D/H/N models available.  Instead of just complaining about not having a perfect Huey, I'll continue to fix them up and have decent-looking 1/35 long-bodied Huey models.

Edited by HeavyArty
3 minutes ago, torchf4 said:

Dang looks like I will have to stick to building short cab Hueys for a while more!

Well if I was only thinking of myself, A truly accurate UH-1B in 1/48 or 1/35 would be a dream come true.  The little secret no one seem to know is that the UH-1B came in more color variations, operations variations and gunship configurations that either the UH-1C or the D/H.  But everyone wants a new D/H Slick so that's what we're trying to get done.  The sad thing is the only even reasonable UH-1Bs are the ancient 1/24 Monogram kit and the 1/72 Italeri and Hobby Boss kits.  The Seminar kit has a much too wide blade that really can't be corrected and some other innaccuracies.  Of course, you could cut down a Dragon rotor to size.  Might be the only good use for the dragon kit now that I think of it!

Ray

1 hour ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Not sure where you got this photos from but that is an old CAD.  We have taken care of that tailboom antenna and all the none Vietnam era stuff.  That is a reasonable representation though.

Floyd

Yesterday on the KH Website bellow the box art and info..

IMG_6980.PNG

Edited by CharlieUH-1H
31 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Well if I was only thinking of myself, A truly accurate UH-1B in 1/48 or 1/35 would be a dream come true.  The little secret no one seem to know is that the UH-1B came in more color variations, operations variations and gunship configurations that either the UH-1C or the D/H.  But everyone wants a new D/H Slick so that's what we're trying to get done.  The sad thing is the only even reasonable UH-1Bs are the ancient 1/24 Monogram kit and the 1/72 Italeri and Hobby Boss kits.  The Seminar kit has a much too wide blade that really can't be corrected and some other innaccuracies.  Of course, you could cut down a Dragon rotor to size.  Might be the only good use for the dragon kit now that I think of it!

Ray

Totally OT but are there any 1/35 conversions out there to model a TOW equipped M model that was used in 1972?    That would make for a cool looking Huey.   

31 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Ray

What would be the issues with the MRC/Academy kit? Small stuff I can live with. I did hear about the rotor blades chord if building a B, probably by you in previous threads hahaha! Yes I do know the Bs had more colors but sadly decals are sorely lacking in this area! Been wanting to do a day glow trimmed Jap bird for ages and maybe a RAN blue/white one as well

24 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Totally OT but are there any 1/35 conversions out there to model a TOW equipped M model that was used in 1972?    That would make for a cool looking Huey.   

Actually, you are making my case for a UH-1B, John!  Those birds 62-12553 and 62-12554 were both UH-1Bs pulled off the line in 63 by Hughes.  They were pulled out of a hanger somewhere when the armor threat in Vietnam ramped up.

I believe this is 12553, note the nose mounted pitot of the B model:

Image may contain: car and outdoor

And here is my friend Wayne Evans, Sr. with his bird 12554:

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting

Back to your question, the only one I've seen try the XM-26 pods is Jon Bernstein (Cobrahistorian) and they look pretty good.  But no there are no resin bits available.

35 minutes ago, torchf4 said:

What would be the issues with the MRC/Academy kit? Small stuff I can live with. I did hear about the rotor blades chord if building a B, probably by you in previous threads hahaha! Yes I do know the Bs had more colors but sadly decals are sorely lacking in this area! Been wanting to do a day glow trimmed Jap bird for ages and maybe a RAN blue/white one as well

Well you would need some of the Cobra Company B conversion bits or at least a donor Siminar kit regardless of the rotors.  If you built a B with a C model tailbooom replacement, you could use the MRC tail, but the sync elevators are totally wrong for a B model (too wide and asymmetrical).   Actually, I have a MRC "B" model that i have been working on for a long time, so it is possible.  I am using the blades from the Dragon D/H kit highly reworked and cut down to size.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
2 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Ray

That's why I thought the 1/35 would be the winner to do. At least you could then have an accurate UH-1C and D/H together. I wonder why the sudden turnaround?? Did they never have the money to do the larger moulds in the first place? And if the 48th kit and the others they talk about doing don't sell as well as they hope, a 1/35th Huey is not looking good - ever. Even if it does it has to be at least 5 years away so dust off the dodgy Dragon kits ladies and gents - its the best you will get...

So disappointed is an understatement but happy for you 1/48 guys

2 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I'm not a Huey guy nor am I picking at Floyd's and Ray's work, but to me the rotor mast and the PC tubes look different than the real thing. Or it could be me! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tim

We said it is not the final product.  We've made many changes since then.  Relax Francis.  LOL.  

Floyd

15 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

13yi8b8.jpg

Hmm, I was sort of hoping for this version because it's just a matter of leaving off post-war mods and there's even a German Dornier built Huey peculiarity there for those wanting to build Heer Hueys in German colors. Oh well. It's still nice someone is doing a new kit in any scale to begin with.

6 minutes ago, snake36bravo said:

Hmm, I was sort of hoping for this version because it's just a matter of leaving off post-war mods and there's even a German Dornier built Huey peculiarity there for those wanting to build Heer Hueys in German colors. Oh well. It's still nice someone is doing a new kit in any scale to begin with.

Yes sorry we deleted the cutout on the front cowling.  The WSPS was removed, as was the whip antenna on the top.  The shape of the roof pitot tube was fixed.  The glideslope antenna on the nose is gone.  That stupid tailboom antenna is gone (don't know why they insist on that).  We've removed it a few times.  Someone keeps adding it back or operating from old CAD.  We added the ground handling wheel lugs.  The transmission has been added, not just the top piece. 

Of course it all matters what they send us back this next time.  This isn't the finished product.

Floyd