12 hours ago, 11bee said:

Floyd / Ray - if I could ask, what's the backstory behind you guys assisting KH on this?  Did they track you both down or did you contact them and volunteer your services?  

How has the entire process worked?  Do they just send you rough CAD's and you two get back to them with any corrections?  How's the communication with KH?  Do they involve you in the project or do you just send them recommendations and you have no idea if your ideas are accepted or not?

From a modeler's standpoint, it must be pretty cool to have the ear of a manufacturer, especially on subject like this that is obviously near and dear to both of you. 

I've known the owner of KH for a few years.  I was always 'asking/pestering' him to do helicopters.  Well he called me on it and asked me to proof the helicopters.  How could I say no?  They ask me what they should come out with and I make suggestions and then they do what they want to do.  LOL  I then conjole them into doing something.  Then they have me gather information.  On the Huey, I couldn't think of a more knowledgeable person on the Huey than Ray so I asked for him to help.  Luckily for us he said yes.  I have no problem bringing subject matter experts into the fold so that we get a better end product.  I learned long ago in the Army that no one person is THE man.  Use the smart guys and give them the credit they deserve.  And Ray definitely deserves much of the credit for the Huey.  He has worked hard and quickly.  Our collaboration has been fun and a blast, as well as, informative.  So then we give them the information and the computer geeks do the CAD.  They send it to us and Ray/I do facepalms and after we've gathered our wits about us we send them the corrections with pictures.  That process goes until we are happy with the results.  We are not quite there with the Huey yet, but really close.  I do get to make suggestions on markings.  But after that I'm not involved in parts breakdown or anything else.  Maybe a review of the new item before it comes out, ala SH-2G Super Seasprite, but that is it.  Then it is on to the next project.  It is fun to have a hand in the creative process.  While I can make suggestions on the next kit(s) it is often not up to me to decide what is next.  I know what I'd like to see next, Cobras (all of them), Apaches (A and D), Blackhawks(all variants), Loaches (A and MH series), Kiowas (A/C/D), and some other Vietnam era stuff.  Then I'd think about a bunch of others, Russian in particular. 

Floyd

I hope Ray gets his credits in the box of the model, and some free models for his help LOL.

Gratefully, thank you guys for giving this so long dream come true. Just hope to see an almost perfect model. I would like to see some more 1/35 models in the future. G/F/S model Cobras, A/C Kiowas and even the civilian Jet Ranger, Hughes 500C/D/E, Blackhawk, Bell 212/412, TH-55/300C, UH-1Y, Nam era USAF UH-1F/P, definitly an A/D Apache, and some European models.

Rod.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

No idea.  Still proofing the CAD, however, we are on the home stretch.  As soon as we are happy I'll share the updated CAD, but not until we have it right.  I don't want to hear negative comments on what is wrong with CAD that isn't finished.  That is more frustrating than anything.  I don't mind constructive criticism of the final CAD since we are all human, but I'm pretty sure you will all love it. 

Floyd

wish they'd hurry up!!! Got five kids and an ( 37 yr. old), plus a door gunner ready to go inside the ship.  Nothing real special about them, except they

are gonna look real funky and are in dire need of a shower! Door gunner is going to look the part, complete with pegged pants! 

forty seven degrees last night out on 435

gary

2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Ray will definitely be compensated. 

Floyd

Being a part of a kit like this is a reward on it's own, but Floyd always supports those of us that help him out.  Plus he's easy to work with, which can't be said for everyone these days!

Ray 

• 2 months later...

Box art for the Huey?  Sorry for the crappy pic, I don't know how to crop an imported FB image. 

Wish that meant we are getting closer to the release of this kit but they've had the Littlebird box art out for nearly half a year and that kit doesn't seem to be any closer either.   

Wonder if this means that KH might be releasing a set of air assault troopers and a flight crew for the slick?

Edited by 11bee

I read on another forum that someone spoke to Kittyhawk at a convention this month and was told the Huey is not until late in the year at the earliest. The littlebird is due mid-year

17192216_1874929319432351_74911938366550

Edited by UH-1Mad
add pic
4 hours ago, salvador001 said:

The boxart looks amazing, if the model is as good as the boxart, i dont mind waiting till next year to get it, but i really want it now LOL.

I just want an accurate Huey, thats all. My dream model.

Rod.

SAME !!

13 hours ago, salvador001 said:

The boxart looks amazing, if the model is as good as the boxart, i dont mind waiting till next year to get it, but i really want it now LOL.

Rod.

agree 100% with!

cant wait! :)

14 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Rod.

Personally, I could care less about box art.    Put it in a cardboard box with a bar code for all I care.  

Was hoping we'd see this sooner though.   If KH is saying late in the year, I'm guessing it won't be out until 2018.   The part that saddens me is that I really want the modern version, which will probably be out a year later (if ever, depending on sales of the first release).  Maybe someone will decide to offer an aftermarket upgrade set.....

I really dont care about the modern version unless some aftermarket company like Fireball modelworks or Werner Wings would release the ASE (Aircraft Survavility Equipment) first. And why not a medevac conversion set with the hoist and litters too?

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

I see on this box art they chose to not have ANY pitots.  Funny because the Hueys on the Dragon kit box art has both a roof and a nose mounted pitot!  Hard to believe no one can seem to look at one fo the thousands of Vietnam Huey photos and get that detail right.  Oh well, the kit should have both the nose mounted pitot for the UH-1D and the roof mounted pitot for the UH-1H.

Ray 

1 hour ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Anyways if not modern version is out

we can make it modern with scratch part and things like that... and it will be more fun! :beer4:

Too much for me.  Don't have the time, skills or interest to scratch build a toilet bowl, rwr fixtures, wire strike kit, etc. Cobra had the toilet bowl but no one offers the rest.  

As long as the bare kit is highly accurate inside and out it will be a clear winner in my eyes.

It will be love and nothing or nobody else will come between us...

And I'm sure if the kit lacked extras which I don't think it will, plenty of aftermarket options will be readily available.

Chris B.

13 hours ago, 11bee said:

Too much for me.  Don't have the time, skills or interest to scratch build a toilet bowl, rwr fixtures, wire strike kit, etc. Cobra had the toilet bowl but no one offers the rest.  

It happaned to me with the Huey I am doing in 48 had to scratch the toilet bowl and other stuff of the ASE..

Fireball modelworks has the complete ASE for the 1/32 Huey. Toilet bowl, APR-39 mounts, engine heat shields, wire strike blades, oil exit shield, hell hole cover, NVG lights, etc. He even had the medevac conversion with the rescue winch, the litters and oxygen tanks. Would be great if he can re design the parts to fit the new kitty hawk Huey, therefore we would not need the new version, but a new decal sheet with the modern era Hueys will be good, including U.S. and Foreign users.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
16 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Fireball modelworks has the complete ASE for the 1/32 Huey. Toilet bowl, APR-39 mounts, engine heat shields, wire strike blades, oil exit shield, hell hole cover, NVG lights, etc. He even had the medevac conversion with the rescue winch, the litters and oxygen tanks. Would be great if he can re design the parts to fit the new kitty hawk Huey, therefore we would not need the new version, but a new decal sheet with the modern era Hueys will be good, including U.S. and Foreign users.

Rod.

I was thinking the same.   He'd have to scale it down, also work on those APR-39's which look to be over scale.  Also would need to add the protective guards around the wiper mounts, which isn't included in the current set. 

Pretty sure Fireball is out of the helo business so it's probably a moot point 

46 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

WTF???? 1/48????? Its got to be a joke. Can anyone confirm this?

Rod.

I thought I heard something a while back about possibly also releasing the Huey in 48th.   Seems logical, if you have the CAD's all set, it's pretty straightforward to scale them down (or up).    Sounds good to me, just hope they still are focused on getting the 35th version out first. 

EDIT - I just went to their website, they took down the blurb on the 35th Huey, now only have this listed.   That's disappointing, I've got zero interest in 48th helos.    I guess we are back to using the good ole Dragon kit if we want a 35th Huey.  Not feeling any love for KH these days....

Edited by 11bee
3 hours ago, 11bee said:

I thought I heard something a while back about possibly also releasing the Huey in 48th.   Seems logical, if you have the CAD's all set, it's pretty straightforward to scale them down (or up).    Sounds good to me, just hope they still are focused on getting the 35th version out first. 

EDIT - I just went to their website, they took down the blurb on the 35th Huey, now only have this listed.   That's disappointing, I've got zero interest in 48th helos.    I guess we are back to using the good ole Dragon kit if we want a 35th Huey.  Not feeling any love for KH these days....

I saw the Dragon kit in the 50% off stack at a shop the otherday, and may just go that route.

glt